PDA

View Full Version : Necromancy Feats

Maximum Carnage
2017-06-13, 02:40 PM
Hey guys and gals. I was just wondering if there was a feat in 3.5 that allows a caster to deliver touch attacks through an undead minion.

Something along the lines of spectral hand is what I'm looking for, but I don't think that spell can accomplish what I'm trying to do.

DrMotives
2017-06-13, 03:36 PM
There may be other ways, but the only one that springs to mind is the feat "Spell Stitched Familiar" from Libris Mortis. It requires already being able to have a familiar, but then it changes the creature type of your familiar to undead. Since normal familiars can channel touch spells once the mage is 3rd level, so can a spell-stitched undead familiar.

Maximum Carnage
2017-06-13, 03:53 PM
There may be other ways, but the only one that springs to mind is the feat "Spell Stitched Familiar" from Libris Mortis. It requires already being able to have a familiar, but then it changes the creature type of your familiar to undead. Since normal familiars can channel touch spells once the mage is 3rd level, so can a spell-stitched undead familiar.

Very interesting, I will definitely read up on that.

Thanks,
MC

Venger
2017-06-14, 10:12 AM

What you're referring to is actually stitched flesh familiar.

Spellstitched is a template from mm2 that allows a given undead to have spells castable as slas. you can apply spellstitched to a stitched flesh familiar, but the two are different things.

Thurbane
2017-06-14, 04:13 PM
I believe there's also a feat in Dragon mag # 280 called Undead Familiar, which does what it says on the tin.

Not exactly a feat, but a Dread Necromancer could also do this if he chose a Ghostly Visage for his familiar.

TaiLiu
2017-06-14, 05:58 PM
An extremely convoluted and impractical method is as follows:

1. Meet all the prerequisites and be an Arcane Hierophant 4, to gain access to the Channel Animal class feature, which is as follows:

Starting at 4th level, you gain the ability twice per day to establish a magical conduit between yourself and a single animal that you touch (including your familiar companion). For each use of this class feature, a spell you cast whose range is touch or greater can originate from the animal instead of from you, provided that you have line of sight and line of effect to the animal. The spell's line of effect then extends from the animal to the target based on the senses of the animal, not you. You can also use this power to deliver touch spells through the animal. Once you cast the spell, the animal is considered to be holding the charge for the spell (see page 176 of the Player's Handbook). Starting at 8th level, you gain two additional uses of this ability each day.

2. Get a Glyph Seal, and cast Aspect of the Wolf into it:

While under the effect of the spell, your creature type changes to animal...

3. Give the Seal to your undead minion, and have it touch the Seal, changing it from an undead creature to an animal.

4. Stand next to your undead / animal minion and, while touching it, channel your spells through it.

5. Pat yourself on the back for the ridiculous loopholes you went through for a very mild gain in utility. :smallbiggrin:

evedgebah
2017-06-14, 10:03 PM
You can also use Imbue With Spell-Like Ability beyond simply having an undead familiar.

Maximum Carnage
2017-06-21, 11:07 AM
An extremely convoluted and impractical method is as follows:

1. Meet all the prerequisites and be an Arcane Hierophant 4, to gain access to the Channel Animal class feature, which is as follows:

2. Get a Glyph Seal, and cast Aspect of the Wolf into it:

3. Give the Seal to your undead minion, and have it touch the Seal, changing it from an undead creature to an animal.

4. Stand next to your undead / animal minion and, while touching it, channel your spells through it.

5. Pat yourself on the back for the ridiculous loopholes you went through for a very mild gain in utility. :smallbiggrin:

You sir, are well versed.

A+ for showing your work