PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Slightly Optimized Shaper Psion Build (PEACH?)

INoKnowNames
2017-06-13, 03:49 PM
I've done some random reading and I've had something that, while probably old as heck by this point, I've wanted to have the forum take a wack at, just to see how much of a reach it happens to be. Before I dive into it, the build relies on two somewhat questionable readings for what it intends to do.

Paragnostic Apostle wants for just spell-like abilities of at least 3rd level. Psionics should qualify since they are counted as spell like abilities, according to the SRD, so a 5th level Psion should be able to enter the prestige class. The other abilities might be harder to map straight out to psionic disciplines, but as the only "summoning" power is Astral Construct, one wants to allow for 'Call of the Worlds' to affect Astral Constructs.

This build relies on a common "Who's RAW is right" trick: letting Psycarnum Infusion lets an Incarnum Receptical be triggered temporarally, then reset back to inactive, at least until the next time Psycarnum Infusion is used (or until Essentia is actually invested, which we have 0 intention of doing).

It also relies on any potential dm being fine with summons, and being able to control the urge to not saturate the field with Astral Constructs.

With those out of the way:

Human Psion (Shaper) 5 / Paragnostic Apostle 1 / Constructor 1 / Human Paragon 3 / Constructor + 9 / Anarchic Initiate 1

1st Level (Progression): Psicrystal Affinity
1st Level (Human): Azure Talent
1st Level (Psion): Psycarnum Infusion
3rd Level (Progression): Psicrystal Containment
5th Level (Psion): Psionic Meditation
6th Level (Progression): Boost Construct
9th Level (Progression): Overchannel
9th Level (Human Paragon): Talented
12th Level (Progression): Practiced Manifester
13th Level (Constructor): Boost Construct
15th Level (Progression): Empower Power
17th Level (Constructor): Boost Construct
18th Level (Progression): Boost Construct

Use Azure Talent over and over to eat up some of the costs in creating the biggest (and eventually, multiple) Astral Constructs possible, with Overchannel and Practiced Manifester ensures your Manifester Level is high enough to do so. When there is at least a Construct on the field, Overchannel some Empowered powers in your spare time. With Psionic Focus being spent at least 3 (1st for the PP buffer, then twice more for Metapsionics and Talented Overchannel) times a round, about every other turn will be spent regaining them and holding them via your Psicrystal, but Constuctor and the increased fast-healing from Paragnostic Apostle's Call of the World's ability should ensure the beat-sticks can give you the cover you need to do so. Heck, once you gain Extended Construction, it could even be worth it to keep one Construct alive while wandering around.

I couldn't think of anything else that might make this work better, but at least Anarchic Initiate's Chaotic Surge should (for the most part) strengthen your blasting spells by that point in the game. If playing with Flaws, one might be able to drop Human and Human Paragon for something else more interesting...

Thoughts? I'm wondering if there's anything I could be doing better or worse. Any way to ensure I have enough feats in the mid levels to make the best Constructs I can within reason without needing to be Human, just to contemplate other races for roleplaying purposes might be nice...

INoKnowNames
2017-06-15, 04:34 AM
I'm also actually still trying to consider options that assuredly give Manifester Levels. Taking all of Constructor makes one lose at least 2, and while Overchannel lets one get some of those back, Practiced Manifester still seems mandatory to ensure gaining a Manifester Level of 23 as soon as possible...

I'm also curious what effect, if any, Chaotic Surge would have on trying to invoke Astral Constructs. It seems like it was far more planned for as an add on to blasting, unless I'm heavily sand-bagging it...