PDA

View Full Version : Before I engage the enemy... What actions should I probably take?

CrackedChair
2017-06-13, 04:00 PM
So, before I go ahead and get the whole party in trouble by going straight into battle, is there anything I need to ask the DM about when it comes to the opposition or any checks I should probably take? Identifying the enemy before fighting seems like a wise choice, but there must be more...

Vorpalchicken
2017-06-13, 04:06 PM
Are they enemies or merely wedding guests?

Corran
2017-06-13, 04:13 PM
Are they enemies or merely wedding guests?
Are these two mutually exclusive? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-3NY1-p-s) (GoT spoiler, season 3)

@OP: Asking if your character knows anything of the monster(s) you are facing, might have the DM tell you to roll an appropriate knowledge check (arcana, religion, history, nature) to determine if your character knows of any potential strengths or vulnarabilities that the enemy/ies might have (eg skeletons are vulnerable to bludgeoning damage).

Nifft
2017-06-13, 04:18 PM
1) Brush your teeth.

2) Put on clean underwear.

3) Get affairs in order, including last will & testament.

4) Tell your cohort that this is your last day on the force before retiring, and that you will surely marry your sweetheart when you get home, because she told you she's making pineapple salad.

5) Pay for the DM's pizza.

Unoriginal
2017-06-13, 04:19 PM
So, before I go ahead and get the whole party in trouble by going straight into battle, is there anything I need to ask the DM about when it comes to the opposition or any checks I should probably take? Identifying the enemy before fighting seems like a wise choice, but there must be more...

Why would there be more?

Identify the enemies if possible, find where they are, see if it's possible there is a trap/an ambush, and see how the situation should be handled.

Armored Walrus
2017-06-13, 04:21 PM
Identify the caster, if any.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-13, 04:21 PM
Pay close attention to how the DM describes your foes. A lot of us DM's feel smug and self-satisfied when we layer hints into our description of the action that aren't caught by the players, like how effective an attack was or how injured the enemy is. Or even that they're planning something.

CrackedChair
2017-06-13, 04:27 PM
So above all else, just listen to the description?

Ah, ok. I guess it really is that simple. Thanks.

cZak
2017-06-13, 05:24 PM
Are these two mutually exclusive? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-3NY1-p-s) (GoT spoiler, season 3)

I picked up the first book about two years ago. No sense starting it now...

Corran
2017-06-13, 05:36 PM
I picked up the first book about two years ago. No sense starting it now...
Heh, well... I couldnt be sure...

jaappleton
2017-06-13, 06:10 PM
So you've seen the enemies, but combat hasn't begun. Here's the check list of what to do.

1. Roll Perception. What enemies have what weapons? Whom are the archers, whom are the casters, whom are melee? Casters can be nasty, they should die first, though this isn't ALWAYS true. If possible, convey this information to your party members.

2. What buffs can you cast? Greater Invisibility, Bless, etc. Anything to get a leg up on the enemy, and do it before Initiative is rolled. If you can start a battle with a buff, do it.

3. Attacking before an enemy knows you're there should mean a surprise attack, and you should make the attack roll with Advantage. If you're an Archer, this means Sharpshooter time. Even if you're a Mage, using the opportunity to get a Fireball off to weaken the enemy is a solid option as well. Of course, if you're going for the Stealth approach, and there's only one or two enemies... Hold Person enables auto-crits against the target since it Paralyzes, and a Paralyzed target shouldn't be able to scream for help. Hint hint. Of course, using a Monk to rush in, Stunning Strike enemies, and rush out is a solid strategy before having the Mage cast Fireball. Stunned targets auto-fail Dexterity saving throws, after all.

JellyPooga
2017-06-13, 06:11 PM
Probably the most important question has already been intimated by Vorpalchicken; check if the opposition really are up for a scrap. Not every encounter has to end in violence; given the option, most people tend to opt for the non-violent course of action even if it's to their detriment, because being tied up or robbed is usually preferable to being wounded or dead.

Seriously; ask your GM if there's any possibility of conversation being initiated instead of an automatic attack on sight policy.

Laserlight
2017-06-13, 07:26 PM
Probably the most important question has already been intimated by Vorpalchicken; check if the opposition really are up for a scrap. Not every encounter has to end in violence; given the option, most people tend to opt for the non-violent course of action even if it's to their detriment, because being tied up or robbed is usually preferable to being wounded or dead.

I need to post the journal for the campaign I'm DMing. The players were trying to get information out of a contact, but three of them decided to burgle her house while the other two were in talking to her; they ended up killing her, her lovers/bodyguards, the cook, and a couple others of her staff. As a consequence, the players had to pay a huge fine, were exiled from the city ("no, you don't have to leave immediately; the tide doesn't change until mid-afternoon, so you have at least three and a half hours"), are now shipwrecked and adrift in an open boat on the deep ocean, one of them owes a warlock a favor of unlimited magnitude, a holy assassin has been set on the trail of another, and a third just had his face thrown into the sea.

And they could have gotten the information from the noblewoman if they'd just asked.

Step one is "Remember that a bloodmad charge isn't always the best solution"

Knaight
2017-06-13, 07:59 PM
It depends on the game and the GMing style. Sometimes rushing right in is the right solution, sometimes it's basically expected that you'll watch them for days, pick off individual members when they go off on their own to take a leak, figure out how they get supplies, poison their supplies before they access them, and then ambush the thinned and poisoned force while the bulk of them are asleep, probably by setting fire to their tents with the enemies still inside and exploiting the confusion.

Gtdead
2017-06-13, 08:06 PM
If we are talking about mechanics, you can ask for perception, insight, survival and knowledge checks to determine stuff about your enemies, their tactics, willingness to talk instead of fight and the terrain in general.

Also there is the matter of strategy and tactics.

Good strategy helps the combat stay fluid, because everyone knows what to do, and the game doesnt have to pause for 10 minutes until the druid decides if he wants to burn a spellslot or keep it for a rainier day.

Tactics is also important, and you are going to need some DM help here, mostly for clarity. For example, you notice an ambush. You can try to flank, or let the tank trigger the ambush while the rest of the party has set one of their own.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-13, 09:37 PM
Ask about what, if anything, counts as Cover. This one gets overlooked quite a bit but can make a huge difference. Its Free AC

Cl0001
2017-06-14, 11:32 AM
Perception/investigation check on enemies and surroundings.
Knowledge check for info on enemies
Come up with party game plan
Precast spells
Anyone with a ranged attack should attack together to maximize surprise round

Puh Laden
2017-06-14, 11:57 AM
Don't ask if you can do a check, ask the DM for details you would like to know that your character might know or notice (are the potential threats holding weapons? Are they bows? Do any have wands? Do they smell like a corpse?). Then your DM will either teil you what you want to know or will tell you to roll an ability check.