PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody steal spyglasses?

CrackedChair
2017-06-13, 06:21 PM
So a spyglass costs 1,000 GP, right? And they are commonly seen on ships with other people who look out for land or something else?

Have any PC's you seen try stealing them just from the fact they cost 1,000 GP?

erok0809
2017-06-13, 06:26 PM
I haven't had a character try to do so, but I haven't really had that situation come up. I know if I were a PC who had a small case of sticky fingers and knew they were expensive, you bet they'd be stealing them if it wasn't going to cost them something important (the ship's passage when transport is needed, for example.)

Hrugner
2017-06-13, 06:34 PM
I've kept an eye out for them when encountering shipwrecks, but not actually stolen one yet. I will someday, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Sigreid
2017-06-13, 06:35 PM
Yep. Party rogue did that first time he saw them. Rest of the party played lookout.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-13, 07:57 PM
How much would you get by fencing something like this? I'm sure such expensive item would draw attention, so your guy would probably give a really "low" value back.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-13, 08:03 PM
How much would you get by fencing something like this? I'm sure such expensive item would draw attention, so your guy would probably give a really "low" value back.

500gp. Pg 144, PHB. Equipment in working condition fetches half it's listed value.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-13, 08:08 PM
500gp. Pg 144, PHB. Equipment in working condition fetches half it's listed value.

I know this, but it is a 1000 gp item, and with this price, this thing was probably designed especially to its owner and it would probably draw attention from him or her, wich would make dealing with this item dangerous...

Edit: I think I'm overthinking this...

lunaticfringe
2017-06-13, 08:27 PM
I know this, but it is a 1000 gp item, and with this price, this thing was probably designed especially to its owner and it would probably draw attention from him or her, wich would make dealing with this item dangerous... I think...

Woodcarver's Tools, Painter's Supplies, or Jeweler's Tools. Invest a bit of time customizing it after theft then they can't tell it's theirs.

This is all Whiteroom stuff anyway. Expensive items in my worlds are risky to steal. A captain would probably keep it on his person or locked up on his guarded ship. A Thieves' Guild is most assuredly working the docks in a port town accepting protection money from slip owners if not individual captains. This is definitely a split the party scenario outside of a thieves guild/gang game. I just like risk & consequences over the Elder Scrolls BS 'I don't buy stolen goods' style.

Sigreid
2017-06-13, 08:33 PM
I know this, but it is a 1000 gp item, and with this price, this thing was probably designed especially to its owner and it would probably draw attention from him or her, wich would make dealing with this item dangerous...

Edit: I think I'm overthinking this...

There is absolutely no reason a group of adventurers has to sell it where they stole it.

JackPhoenix
2017-06-14, 12:04 AM
How many people need a spyglass, but don't already own it? It's a niche item, fences propably wouldn't be interested, what's the point of paying hundreds of gold when you aren't sure you can make a profit from it? Ship captains, astronomers, nobles, army commanders... those are people who would have an use for spyglass, but I think most of them would rather deal with a maker to get exactly what they need (especially given the price) than shady dealers. I can imagine stealing it as an order from someone who's interested in getting it cheaper, but random theft?

It's similar to expensive and specialized objects in real world, like lab equipment or excavators (happened in my country): when someone steals it, it's not to sell it in random pawn shop (unless the thief is on drugs or stupid), but because someone who can use that equipment set up an order with the criminal(s) up front.

imanidiot
2017-06-14, 12:29 AM
When dealing with stolen goods 20% of the value is usually all you get. The fence will pay you 20% then pay someone else to smuggle it several days or weeks away. And resell it in a new city for 50%.

Assuming there is no marlet for it would be silly. They wouldn't cost 1000g if there wasn't a market. But keep in mind that the punishment for theft, buying/selling stolen goods, or smuggling stolen goods in the typical D&D setting would almost certainly be either death or enslavement.

In all, it's risky. But, and enterprising criminal could easily make 200g for a day or two worth of work. That's still around six months pay for a laborer.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-14, 12:58 AM
I personally think it's insane they cost that much. Sure in the real world, they were very difficult to make but this world has oodles of magic. You think SOME wizard would make a low level spell to shape glass and pop out a couple spyglasses a day.

Basement Cat
2017-06-14, 03:37 AM
I personally think it's insane they cost that much. Sure in the real world, they were very difficult to make but this world has oodles of magic. You think SOME wizard would make a low level spell to shape glass and pop out a couple spyglasses a day.

This is precisely my thinking. Especially given that a 1000 gp spyglass merely delivers 2X magnification.

A spyglass is simply a tube with two special but easily made lenses--one at either end. That's it. (http://amasci.com/amateur/teles.html) Once the idea, much less functional examples, appear on the scene it's ludicrous to believe that inventive gnomes and dwarves and humans, etc, wouldn't take the basic design and run with it.

In a world filled with magic a low level transmuter, alchemist or mere glass blower with minimal crafting skills could readily turn out spyglasses of far greater quality for silvers or a few gold coins. Get a small team of artisans together and you've got yourself a factory mass producing spyglasses.

This is a case of the game makers really blowing something simple out of proportion--kinda like early D&D greatswords supposedly weighing 16 lbs and more. Bad research at the minimum.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-06-14, 03:40 AM
Wait... A thousand? I misread that as 100, which is still pretty expensive.

I've never had a player steal one, but players with them have had NPCs try to steal their spyglass.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-14, 09:38 AM
Wait... A thousand? I misread that as 100, which is still pretty expensive.

I've never had a player steal one, but players with them have had NPCs try to steal their spyglass.

Poor NPCs, you don't steal from players because they will not only kill you, the will kill your whole family and set your house on fire. (This text was supposed to be blue, but since I was forced to move from Chrome to Firefox, I can't edit my text here on the forum)

Laurefindel
2017-06-14, 10:48 AM
I would expect NPC to treat their spyglass like a 1000gp item however; it's not just gonna be laying around. I guess a PC could pick-pocket the thing out of the captain's coat, but he's gonna find out soon enough. Or you could break-in the captain's cabin at night, and steal more than a 1000gp spy-glass. Either way, you better be off the ship by the time he realized what happened.

hewhosaysfish
2017-06-14, 11:12 AM
It occurs to me that in a setting where professional "dungeon-delving" is a thing then it makes a great cover for fencing stolen goods.

Just smuggled that spyglass/jewellery/magic sword to the next city over. Claim that you found it in a dungeon.