PDA

View Full Version : What are the ways that a fighter can be built to fight? what is each best at?

Rfkannen
2017-06-13, 06:36 PM
I saw someone say that this should be a thread in another thread so I decided to make it!

So what are the different styles of fighting that a fighter can be built to do; ei dex based stealthy rapier user, tanky heavy armor dwarf with shortsword and crossbow, strength based heavy armor wearing two weapon fighting and throwing. that type of thing!

How does each one play? What is each of those builds best at? How different is each build? Which ones have you played with, witch have you found the most fun?
You got any weird ones?

ps. Anyone have a better thread title, I could not think of how to phrase the question right.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-13, 06:47 PM
Fighters can be pretty dang good at whatever they specialize in.

Two weapon Dex
Two weapon Str
Rapier and shield Dex
Sword and Board Str
Archer Dex
GWF Str

My oddest one was a Dwarf with a Dwarven Thrower (you could make it work with Javelins too). He was always trying to attack at range rather than Melee to get the extra 1d8 damage form the Thrower. He wasn't a pure classed fighter though. 3 levels in Ranger for Hunter's Mark added some extra damage to those throws, and Horde Breaker got an extra throw in form time to time.

Specter
2017-06-13, 06:48 PM
The ones you should be seeing in threads as good are archers (bow or crossbow), DEX melee and STR melee. I'm sure there are many subcategories of these.

Rfkannen
2017-06-13, 08:33 PM
One big thing I was wondering, how do the playstyles of crossbow and longbow play differently? Same for rapier and 2 shortswords.

Gtdead
2017-06-13, 08:58 PM
The possible builds are either STR or DEX, Melee or Ranged.
The optimal builds are STR melee and DEX ranged and both are good at dealing damage when compined with either CE+SS or GWM+PAM and Battlemaster.

As for Longbow vs Handbow, they play pretty much the same with the difference that Handbow is miles better because of CE. Handbow gets an extra attack and can shoot pointblank without disadvantage, something that is pretty important for a class that excels at dealing with mooks. I don't think that Fighter is a good enough sniper to make use of that extra range. I'd leave that to warlocks and rogues.

I'm not sure why DEX melee fighter is any good. I think it's a bad idea personally.

Specter
2017-06-13, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure why DEX melee fighter is any good. I think it's a bad idea personally.

There are at least three:

- You have great initiative to lead the fight.
- You can hide much better when needed.
- If your enemy flies away/becomes unreachable, you can do better than just throw one javelin.

Gtdead
2017-06-13, 09:34 PM
In which case, I'd roll a Ranger. He can do all these, engage at any range he pleases, assist the party with spells and be way better at both social and explorations pillars.

Zardnaar
2017-06-13, 10:39 PM
There are at least three:

- You have great initiative to lead the fight.
- You can hide much better when needed.
- If your enemy flies away/becomes unreachable, you can do better than just throw one javelin.

Big disparity in power. Only good dex based fighter was a battlemaster with a sharpshooter ranger+ Rogue in the same party.

TWF is also a bit weak especially strength based.

Corran
2017-06-14, 06:28 AM
Well, archery is the strongest option, especially for EK's, but someone has to frontline so since fighters have good base features for that job, they often are the ones to do it. So, when in melee:

Champion -> GWM
Battlemaster -> GWM
EK -> S&B

ps: Every time I see a twf fighter, I die a little inside...

TheUser
2017-06-14, 06:40 AM
There are a few categories divided firstly by primary weapon stat and second by weapon choice:

Strength or Dex
GWF or Archery respectively, with Sword and Board, or Dual Wield being compatible with either.

Battlemasters can be good at anything but do very well as archers because tripping, pushing, taunting, disarming etc. are options ranged archers don't normally have and Precise Strike + Sharpshooter is great.
Very good in short rest oriented groups.

EK's make great strength based fighters because cantrips can help alleviate the range problem and if you're level 7+ you still get to throw that javelin after the cantrip. They are a little bit MAD (Str, Con, Int) but once Eldritch Strike comes online increasing int feels impactful. Archery EK's are just as deadly because staying back makes concentration far easier and pumping int over con less risky.

I've found that champions work reeeally well with Sword and Board because the bonus action shove for proning leads to ~20% crit chance. Still, anything goes; more crits also means more GWM bonus action attacks as well. If something else grants consistent advantage (2 level barbarian multiclass) you start feeling like a juggernaught without needing a shield and since you can have higher offstats for dex and second fighting style you can be effective at range and melee or more effective in one.

Arkhios
2017-06-14, 06:40 AM
Best one in my opinion is:

Battlemaster with higher Charisma and Wisdom than Strength and Dexterity.

:smallcool:

Seriously though, to elaborate that a little: Magic Initiate for druid cantrips Shillelagh and Magic Stone + Faerie Fire 1/long rest.
Focus on picking up the Maneuvers that help your allies the most. Your role isn't to be the primary damage dealer nor the "tank". You're role is to be the combat support.

Afrodactyl
2017-06-14, 07:30 AM
S&B EKs make very good tanks. Especially if you take magic initiate cleric for shield of faith. 28 AC on a reaction whilst still being no slouch in combat, without any magic items.

Quoxis
2017-06-14, 08:06 AM
Best one in my opinion is:

Battlemaster with higher Charisma and Wisdom than Strength and Dexterity.

:smallcool:

Seriously though, to elaborate that a little: Magic Initiate for druid cantrips Shillelagh and Magic Stone + Faerie Fire 1/long rest.
Focus on picking up the Maneuvers that help your allies the most. Your role isn't to be the primary damage dealer nor the "tank". You're role is to be the combat support.

Funnily enough i'm working on a bard/fighter mc focusing on Cha for just that. Maneuvers like rally, trip, distracting strike coupled with inspiration, healing word on unconcious allies and the occasional faerie fire...

Specter
2017-06-14, 08:17 AM
Big disparity in power. Only good dex based fighter was a battlemaster with a sharpshooter ranger+ Rogue in the same party.

TWF is also a bit weak especially strength based.

A big disparity is assumed because you're not considering that the feat the DEX fighter is not using for GWM goes to something else. The DEX fighter could be a much better tank with Sentinel, a much better sponge with Tough, or a much better ambusher with Alert. These are, of course, just examples.

A disparity in damage? Yes. A disparity in power? Not at all.

mgshamster
2017-06-14, 08:27 AM
ps: Every time I see a twf fighter, I die a little inside...

I've got a level 4 lizardfolk champion two-weapon fighter, 14 Str, 14 Dex, 16 con, with dual wielder feat.

Just for you. :)

Corran
2017-06-14, 08:52 AM
I've got a level 4 lizardfolk champion two-weapon fighter, 14 Str, 14 Dex, 16 con, with dual wielder feat.

Oh my... 14 str, not maxed dex, champion and dual wielder!? I'll be having nightmares tonight...:smallsmile:

GlenSmash!
2017-06-14, 11:40 AM

Sounds fun! I've got a Greatsword Ranger with 14 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, and 14 Wis. Optimal schmoptimal.

ZorroGames
2017-06-14, 01:58 PM
Sounds fun! I'd got a Greatsword Ranger with 14 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, and 14 Wis. Optimal schmoptimal.

This. Well done.

cZak
2017-06-15, 07:48 AM
I briefly played an all Halflings group as a Battlemaster. Others were Land druid, Barbarian & Life Cleric (dip)/ Diviner.
Dex based, Archery style, X-bow expert. But I was the front line guy. I'd use my rapier as much as my x-bow; both if I got the opportunity. I had a lot of fun.
The versatility was phenomenal.
Control & damage output were great.
The short rest reset made it feel like I was never out of options.

I'm guessing Shillelagh & Magic stone for combat options. But this would make your attacks Charisma based. Maneuvers are based on Str or Dex and a decent Con is nice.
So are you steering toward a Chr > Dex/ Con?

Using a Elf (Drow) chassis seems a good start. You could pick up something extra than Faerie fire for your Magic Initiate.

Arkhios
2017-06-15, 08:10 AM
I'm guessing Shillelagh & Magic stone for combat options. But this would make your attacks Charisma based.
Ehh.. What? Magic Stone and especially Shillelagh are druid spells, and so is Faerie Fire; Druid casts with Wisdom. But yes, those cantrips would be for weapon combat when necessary. That would make the character more inclined towards wisdom.

Maneuvers are based on Str or Dex and a decent Con is nice.
So are you steering toward a Chr > Dex/ Con?
Minor nitpick: Some maneuvers are based on Str or Dex, but not all of them. You can easily pick only those which don't force a saving throw, since the sheer majority of them don't, as seen here (Commander's Strike, Distracting Strike, Evasive Footwork, Feinting Attack, Lunging Attack, Maneuvering Attack, Parry, Precision Attack, Rally, Riposte, and Sweeping Attack).
Decent Con sure is nice, and maybe Dex 14 so you may feel more comfortable using Medium Armor and not be slowed down by heavy.

I might have to rephrase the build a little bit. Instead of only focusing on maneuvers that aid allies, also pick anything from the list above.

cZak
2017-06-15, 10:37 AM
Ehh.. What? Magic Stone and especially Shillelagh are druid spells... That would make the character more inclined towards wisdom.

Wow... I totally brain dumped that...

Minor nitpick: Some maneuvers are based on Str or Dex, but not all of them. You can easily pick only those which don't force a saving throw, since the sheer majority of them don't, as seen here (Commander's Strike, Distracting Strike, Evasive Footwork, Feinting Attack, Lunging Attack, Maneuvering Attack, Parry, Precision Attack, Rally, Riposte, and Sweeping Attack).
Decent Con sure is nice, and maybe Dex 14 so you may feel more comfortable using Medium Armor and not be slowed down by heavy.

I might have to rephrase the build a little bit. Instead of only focusing on maneuvers that aid allies, also pick anything from the list above.

Cool

ZorroGames
2017-06-17, 06:26 AM
Wow... I totally brain dumped that...

{snip}

:smallsmile: INT as a dump stat side effect. :smallwink:

Quoxis
2017-06-18, 05:43 AM
:smallsmile: INT as a dump stat side effect. :smallwink:

ZorroGames rolled a nat 20 with their vicious mockery. 2d4 psychic damage, disadvantage on comebacks.

ZorroGames
2017-06-18, 12:18 PM
ZorroGames rolled a nat 20 with their vicious mockery. 2d4 psychic damage, disadvantage on comebacks.

Well, vicious might be an exaggeration...

But i did enjoy not being the straightman (usual in my group of friends...)