PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Red Dragon [IC]

Archer the Cat
2017-06-13, 09:05 PM
It didn't matter the reason.

For beings such as yourselves, free from the necessities of "normal" society, heading the call of a potential employer, one who did not shy away from your bloody talents, but in fact, encouraged them, was the smart move. Finding you was impressive, leaving you the summons unnoticed was unheard of, not only knowing of what you are, but wanting that - that was remarkable.

As you follow the instructions (or a trail of bodies), you find yourself heading deep into the Sunspire Mountains; the home of deadly warriors and forgotten power. It has been a long, long time since the master Reshar forged the Temple of the Nine Swords, even longer since these mountains were warred over by dwarves and hobgoblins, and before that - almost nine centuries ago, the red dragon, Ignisial ruled over these mountains, and if she had her way, the majority of the continent surrounding.

That last part is what really gets to you, a myth, a legend, a horror story reaching out from the mists of history to pluck you up and shove you into greatness, or die horribly.

You couldn't be sure if this was all a trap, but considering the trouble somebody went through to get you here, it had to be worth a shot.

If this was the real deal - gold, magic, luxuries, indulgences, power.

But it doesn't matter the reason.

You make your way through these rocky spears, fighting against the sky like stubborn apes pawing at eagles. The path has been met with almost no resistance, if someone does want you here, they want you unharmed.

Eventually, you make your way to an almost hidden path, tunneling through the ancient stone; it feel oddly warm here, even though the climate and season wouldn't make this usual. As you round a bend, you see it, confirming you suspicions - a massive door of blackened iron, a relief of a snarling dragon's head covers the majority of it.

In front are five humanoids, two are heavily armored guards, head-to-toe in crimson lacquered armor wielding halberds, and wearing masks of snarling beasts. the other three appear to be quite strange indeed.

Who knows what these others are here for, allies? Competition? Food?

But it doesn't matter the reason, for you are here to bring destruction.

~End Prologue

zlefin
2017-06-13, 09:45 PM
Shraknor made a leisurely pace into the mountain, looking around as he went.
Upon entering the hidden path he remarked
Ah, what a lovely warmth; quite pleasant to have at this time of year.

He sauntered toward the doorway, a smile on his face, and proceeded to stretch showing off his muscles, while looking everyone over.

Time to see how good this offer is then.

(I assume it's not relevant as this is setup, but shraknor, depsite his blase attitude, would have been making sense motive checks aforehand and during to get a feel for a trap, and doing lots of stopping listening/looking. Once he sees the other people he'll also try to size them up and estimate how strong they are)

Dimers
2017-06-14, 01:49 AM
A figure wafts out of the rough-cut wall of the tunnel, looking like a male human swordsman but made of vapor and insinuation. He examines the armored humanoids and the approaching warped minotaur. After a moment, he holds up a token strung on his neck and says, "SHE has prevailed on my patron to send me." The ghostly figure waits in a cautious stance for a reply from either party.

LairdMaon
2017-06-14, 08:41 AM
Thresh rounds the bend and sees guards obviously protecting the great door. He continues loping forward, planning in his head what to do if fighting broke out. The planning would be a lot easier if he didn't have to worry about the ghost and minotaur-thing. Too hard to judge what they can do, skews the plan. Oh well. No one lives forever!

Morcleon
2017-06-14, 09:54 PM
Higashiyama Haruka

Arriving last is probably the most out of place of them all. Appearing as just a young human woman in a fancy suit, Haruka gives the two guards and the other two strange individuals a cursory glance before heading inside. Though they intrigued her, she knew better than to immediately ask questions. Better to let them come to her.

She nods to each of them, then heads inside.

Archer the Cat
2017-06-15, 07:07 PM
As you make your way to the door, the two guards look at each other and shrug. They seem surprisingly calm for a pair of gaurds that protect the main door to a dragon's lair.

As you grip the handle, you give a pull, the weight of the door is evident. But it does not budge!

You then try to give it a push, and nothing happens. The two guards look at you, then back to each other. You're fairly certain you hear one chuckle behind their mask.

"Would you like to be let in, vampire?", one of them asks you.

LairdMaon
2017-06-16, 09:09 AM
"She's not the only one going in." Thresh growls from behind the bloodsucker. "We have business here, let us enter."

Archer the Cat
2017-06-16, 09:56 AM
With a laugh the other guard replies, "Yes, we know who you are. Had we not been expecting you, this would have gone drastically different."

They turn to the door, and as an energy envelopes their hands, they grab the handles and the massive iron doors begin to open.

With a bow, one of them invites you all in.

Now that the vampire has an invitation to go in, she can actually enter; gotta remember those odd weaknesses :smalltongue:

LairdMaon
2017-06-16, 10:08 AM
Thresh passes through the gaping doorway and takes a good look around at the interior.

zlefin
2017-06-16, 03:55 PM
Shraknor enters, taking a good look around the place; especially to see how nice the furnishing are. Someday he wants to get a nice high quality lair, and this place is bound to have some nice features.

(ooc: I'd have thought the letters we received to come to this location for this job would've constituted invitations to enter, depending on their exact wording)

Archer the Cat
2017-06-16, 09:10 PM
As the massive iron doors swing open, you are hit with a gust of hot wind and a low cacophony of noises; the entrance is awe-inspiring, and possibly fear-inspiring if you weren't a guest of a mythical dragon.

The entrance hall is polished and carved to the perfection normally reserved for dwarven temples, the sconces holding torches of reddish-violet light (these resonate magic should your character wish to check). The floor is gold-inlaid marble that echos with every step you take (if corporeal), along the walls are various pieces of art from a variety of artists, cultures, and eras (Knowledge [history] could be used to gather more information).

Further in, the halls begin to fade masterfully into a more natural look, becoming more spacious, you reach a point where you could march 10 men across and move comfortably. The sounds become clearer as you continue: the distinct sound of kobolds chattering in their broken Draconic, tools working and steel clanging, and as you turn the last corner...there it is, the main chamber.

It could be described as humbling, if you believed in being humble; regardless, the size of the chamber is large enough to hold over 1000 fully armed warriors, tall enough to hold the ancient trees of Spirit and Whisper, and it glimmers from the mountains of gold in the center, surrounded by a ring of magma, the focus of this chamber is majestic. With enough coin and trinkets to buy more than one kingdom, only one is worthy to sit atop such a throne - the elder dragon Ignisial. In all of her fiery glory, her primal arcane might radiates like a cruel, desert sun. The most noticeable thing about her however, is the beam of silver light that runs from the ceiling to the floor, straight through the dragon's left rear leg.

The majority of servants and workers are far and away, working, or building something on on of the far ends, only one stands within the presence of the would-be-empress; a tall, obsidian skinned creature, vaguely humanoid in shape, but the horns, tail, and flaming golden eyes give away it's planar nature - some form of fiendish outsider.

The fiend snaps it's eyes to your group the moment you reach the main chamber, and with a voice much louder than it's size would suggest, it calls you over, "Welcome! Please step forward, my queen would like to bless you with her acknowledgement and exalt you with her presence."

With a gesture, a ramp materializes from the entrance of the chamber down to the center, within the ring of fire.

zlefin
2017-06-17, 08:42 AM
Shraknor appreciates the decor as he moves through, and steps forward as bidden through the ramp, smirking.
Ahh, so it is the real you and not some impostor using your name.
I was wondering about that that. Really nice place ya got here. That spear thingy doesn't look too pleasant though.

LairdMaon
2017-06-17, 08:51 AM
Thresh approaches the dragon, "A blessing, eh? Don't think I've ever had one of those.
Ha!"

Dimers
2017-06-18, 08:29 PM
Brand looks vaguely disgusted as he floats past the yapping kobolds, but wipes it off his face in the presence of the great dragon and Her herald. He silently moves where directed.

"A blessing, eh? Don't think I've ever had one of those. Ha!"

Brand chuckles, a startlingly human sound in contrast with his appearance.

Morcleon
2017-06-19, 11:06 AM
Higashiyama Haruka

Rolling her eyes lightly at the guards, Haruka ignores their verbal jabs and enters the room behind everyone else. She stares curiously at the artwork throughout the ages, noticing the changes in patterns from the ancient styles she's familiar with. Walking forward when told to, she steps up the ramp gracefully and bows deeply but briefly, reverting back to the court behaviors she was forced to learn in her previous life. "Your Majesty."

Ah, right. Gotta remember I'm playing a vampire again. It's been a while. :smalltongue:

Knowledge (history): [roll0]

Archer the Cat
2017-06-19, 01:09 PM
With those checks the both of you recognize a solid number of artists who created these works: masterful color usage of Beteral Silverbrow Tinkerspot, the gnomish prodigy; the machine precison of Thegga Hammerfoot, artisan princess of the dead clan Hammerfoot; of course based of descriptions, rumors, or something you saw while alive, a few original works by Olipan, the reclusive elven master, dating back before the Tapestry of Stars that made him famous. Others are technical masterpieces, by artists who never reached the acclaim they deserved. The value of this collection is quite literally, priceless. You do notice a patterns however, Ignisial appears to favor abstract works in the entrance.

As you make yourselves known, the fiend takes a bow a vanishes away (Spellcraft or Arcana checks can reveal this is not a spell, but an innate ability).

Which leaves you with the queen of the mountian...

"A bastard, a beast, and two who have already died. This is what I, Ignisial, Queen of Sunspire, and Empress of the Continent recive with my generous offers of wealth and prestige?! Ugh, fine." Despite her eyes being solid orbs of molten orange, you can still feel her rolling them in disdain.

"I suppose my infinite patience is to be tried once more, I am in need of those who are willing and able to aid me in a grand scheme of violence, revenge, destruction, and greed. You are here, so I will use you to the best of your abilities and my sanity. All the gold and treasure here is worth nothing compared to the power I wield, and worth even less compared to what I would give to crush the life out of that damn elf with this spear." She tilts her head back towards the shaft of light sticking out of her.

"So here we stand: I need creatures of terrible power to help me in my revenge, either by bringing me Enderial, the Skywarden, or by discovering how to remove me from my own personal prison. Preferably both, but I cannot expect miracles from you lot. I am a DRAGON, of great age and power, and all of my divinations and influence have given me nothing. Should you succeed, I will bestow upon you wealth and power greater than any combination of kingdoms in the land. Failure will be met with my INTENSE displeasure, and don't think I don't know how to torture fiends and the unliving."

With a wicked grin she lets that last part linger.
"So, wealth and power, for the low price of your utter devotion to me and my cause, and failure to be met with death, destruction, and consumption. Do we have a deal?"

LairdMaon
2017-06-19, 02:41 PM
"Wealth and power to do what I do.
Yeah, I'm in."

Thresh chuckles, "My life for Ignisial, eh?"

zlefin
2017-06-19, 03:46 PM
Shraknor strokes his chin thoughtfully as he listens to the offer.
once it's concluded he speaks when the question comes to him

I'm a bit surprised that it sounds like we may be the best group of new recruits. You've clearly got a number of other agents of considerable skill and power already. I guess that many are doubtful of your claims and/or capacity to deliver on them given how long it's been. Recruitment will probably improve as you begin being more active.

Shraknor shifts to a bargaining attitude
As to the deal, I disagree with a few of the particulars of your offer, but I'm sure we can work out something amenable. I'm already utterly devoted to greed and killing, so that part is not a problem. Being utterly devoted to you personally, isn't my style, setting aside the fact that I've only just met you, no matter how impressive you are. I'm happy to work for you though, as our goals align well. The price of failure seems fine; I pretty much expect to be dead or worse anyways if I've failed, so it doesn't make much difference. As to wealth, I'd expect some ongoing payments based on lesser objectives achieved, as obviously we're not strong enough to so readily take down the likes of Enderial yet. It simply wouldn't do to wait until the end of such a difficult quest to get any payment. The power part, I think will work out well enough without needing much detail now. Anything you can give you can take away, I prefer to trust in and grow my own strength; but it is nice to have some extras, even if they aren't so fully under my control. So I think most of that can be tabled for discussion at a later date when it becomes more relevant. Oh, and I spoke to my father and he said he's not interested at this time.

Archer the Cat
2017-06-20, 12:54 PM
Ignisial chuckles softly at the hybrid's proposal, "So those wings aren't just for show, you do have some strong blood in you. If I wasn't in such a good mood I might just have to eat you my young cousin. I'm glad to know I don't hire idiots, and yes, my other agents are powerful in their own way; but they are more useful doing other things." She lets out another laugh and stretches out (as much as she can with the spear of light in her leg)

"To continue our negotiations then, I will allow you some leeway in your oaths to me, I suppose you all might have some fiendish compact that would kill you the moment you swear to me, and I have no use for...incapacitated servants." Noticing the two undead members, she rethinks her position on how useful you are to her dead.

"My greatest concerns are that your goals will align with my own: destruction for its own sake is beautiful, but only at the right times, I need to make sure that you are willing to cooperate once the immediate coercion of my presence is gone. So I have a little test for you, I have several plans and schemes running, and like a puzzle they all need to fall together the right way. I'm thinking the best way for you all to be useful right now is..."

Whatever the group decides as their best course of action will be Ignisial's "idea"

Dimers
2017-06-21, 01:01 AM
Brand nods his agreement after the great dragon allows for limitations on her command. "My existence is torment already, wrought by a hero of the 'good' gods -- a situation you know closely. I am told that through you I might have my own release. Give me your commands; even my destruction would only slow me down." The ghost burns with palpable hate.

Morcleon
2017-06-21, 12:37 PM
Higashiyama Haruka

Tilting her head to the side, Haruka listens to Ignisial with a curious expression. "Wealth and power for bringing your plans to fruition, hm? Well, I can certainly get behind that. Utter devotion I'm not really interested in though. I can certainly offer my services in whatever capacity you need, however."

Archer the Cat
2017-06-21, 08:28 PM
"The hobgoblins in the mountains have become bold; they expand their fortresses and claw their way through my territory. I would normally force them to pay tribute and devour them if they displeased me, but I do not wish to have my grand return to global power announced too soon. As such they must be killed to the last. You are all capable of dealing death in a number of exotic fashions and I believe this will be an acceptable test of your loyalty."

In response to Brand's declaration of sorrow and pain, she looks deep into his ghostly visage, "Excellent, that pain and anger will carry you far; I can certainly arrange the procurement of a cleric of any god you desire for some delightful bouts of torture."

At Haruka's comment she gives another laugh and moves her massive frame to face her, "Beings as old as us tend to have a hard time trusting others don't we? All we see are the same schemes played out a hundred times, will I lead you into a trap? Will you catch me off guard and kill me? I grow tired of games, I plot and plan for something real; and that requires work and obedience - but you do not have to be some whimpering lap dog, I prefer to work with those who keep me sharp, and in my limited ability to leave my lair, finding beings to work with that interest me is a rare treat. I will have you do that which benefits us both, and I know how to give those in my favor a longer leash. I demand respect, and you can show great respect through aiding me if that soothes your pride."

zlefin
2017-06-21, 08:51 PM
Brand smiles acceptingly.

The terms then seem quite agreeable. I pledge my service to you and your cause, so long as I get paid. and I pledge not to betray you even if I should cease to work for you. Wiping out some hobgoblins, sounds like a lovely massacre.

Dimers
2017-06-26, 10:39 PM
Brand wears a smirk at the thought of punishing creatures foolish enough to encroach on a great power. "Will it be clear to others why the hobgoblins were slain? Or shall we leave a calling card for you, to encourage respect from others nearby?"

zlefin
2017-06-27, 08:34 AM
Shraknor remarks to Brand
Didn't she say she doesn't want her grand return to be known yet?In which case we'd need more of a cover for our actions than a calling card; or just a slaughter with no explanation. At any rate, killing most of the hobgoblins will be easy;
killing all will be somewhat trickier. It's hard to get every survivor, fleeing person,
and scout. Waiting around there afterwards to snipe some of them will work; but a few will have been on longer term missions, and may not come back for months. A few guards would have to be posted to catch those, as we can't wait around that long to get the stragglers.

Archer the Cat
2017-06-27, 09:44 AM
Ignisial listens to the conversation, and interjects with her booming voice, "Does the hurricane concern itself with the thoughts of the animals it kills? The hobgoblins will die because they are unwanted in my territory. Their fortress will be brought under my control for that is what I desire, it shall be up to you four what you do with it. Keep it as a hold for monsters, a torture chamber, art gallery, it matters not as long as any of those disgusting cretins know that that box of iron and stone is no longer their own.

With a low roar, she glows with arcane energy, and shapechanges into a massive bronze tiger, with blood red stripes and eyes the color of emeralds. "Enough talk on this matter, we shall feast and then you shall be frew to kill the interlopers as you see fit."

A massive table appears in the center of her circle, with kobold servents scrambling to assemble a feast for their queen and her guests.

You may request anything your character would normally eat and we can rp that.

LairdMaon
2017-06-27, 10:18 AM
Thresh seats himself with no ceremony and eyes the kobolds, "Meat. Preferably fresh."

zlefin
2017-06-27, 10:35 AM
Brand sits down as well
Meat for me as well, the fresher the better. Hmm, don't want to eat too much though, wnat to save room for some nice fresh hobgoblins.

Morcleon
2017-06-27, 08:51 PM
Higashiyama Haruka

"Hm. Just a cup of tea for me." Haruka smiles, sitting herself down at the table with all the grace of nobility. "Blood tea, if you have any."

Archer the Cat
2017-06-27, 10:04 PM
With a gesture, the obsidian fiend reappears and begins ordering various kobolds to task. An astounding variety of foods and drink appear, presented on plates and platters of exotic metals and ceramics; flowing from pitchers of fine gold and silver.

In her altered form, you hear Ignisial's voice as a raspy hiss in your mind. "The plates were from a dwarven lord, commissioned over a millennia ago. I was young and stupid and thought to barter my power for pretty baubles like a magpie. I killed an orc warband that was poaching his land, and I received my weight in gold. A few centuries later, I went back, killed the dwarf and most of his clan, took my weight in gold once more, then proceeded to begin building my empire."

After the plates are filled with bloodied meat and raw hearts, your chalices are filled with some sweet tasting fluid, mixed with the tell tale metallic tang of blood.

At this point, the golden-eyed demon makes an announcement, "For the main course, we have prepared something...special for our guests of honor; two unicorns, of northern stock, deprived of their magic and tortured by my own hand. The fear and torment gives their meat a zest similar to mango crab. For our vampire guest, we drained a potent mixture of unicorn blood, witch hazel, honey, cinnamon, and hemlock. Slow brewed, and simmered over coals from the 18th layer of the Abyss - a tea worthy of such noble company. As for our our spectral companion, the distilled soul of a halfling bard, aged in a coffin of iron and bronze for six hundred and sixty-six years; a wispy, smooth flavor, with a decadent, hatred and guilt aftertaste." With a bow and flourish, the aforementioned dishes appear in front of their respective recipients.

"Enjoy."

LairdMaon
2017-06-27, 10:16 PM
Thresh takes a deep bite of heart, "Unicorn heart, how unique. The flavor... it's magical."

zlefin
2017-06-28, 09:46 AM
Shraknor smiles widely and eats heartily, savoring every bite.
A most impressive feast indeed! simply magnificent. A testament to your greatness Ignisial. A toast to the greatest of dragons!

and he drinks a glass of blood for the toast, regardless of whether others do or not.

Dimers
2017-06-30, 02:27 AM
Brand skips his specially-made dish, having no complaint with either halflings or bards. But he does take over the body of a kobold servitor to try the unicorn. The straightforward animal drives of a kobold make its tastebuds sensitive, especially for meat, and Brand doesn't have to worry about the pain of overindulgence to come. He joins in Shraknor's toast. "To Ignisial."

Archer the Cat
2017-06-30, 04:33 PM
As the fiends devour their meal, Ignisial gives a loud yawn; with another telepathic probe she announces the end of dinner. "I grow bored of this, make your preparations to take the fortress back from the hobgoblins." A low roar and the table vanishes.

Through unheard summons, the golden-eyed fiend makes an appearance, "As it pleases the mistress, I shall bring you to the main perch. From there you may make your way to the fortress. From what some of our hobgoblin slaves remember, it is a forward outpost from a long defunct hobgoblin warband, since reclaimed by some smug ruler claiming the title 'The Blade Prince', we assume numbers are moderate, but if rumors are true, they are students of powerful martial prowess."

You are then brought through a series of more massive tunnels in the lair, spiraling around until from the crest of one of the peaks, you come out into the open. The view is...staggering; they say a dragon will lay claim to anything it can see from it's lair, and Ignisial is know to be a paragon of avarice among her fellow dragons. You can see almost the entirety of the Sunspire Mountains, and if you fly up, you could possibly see into the Iron Jungle to the west and the Great Plains to the north-east. Reclaiming these lands better be worth the effort...

The golden-eyed fiend points off to a peak about half a day's journey to the south, "There is where you shall find their fortification, though small, it has many natural obstacles that would prevent a normal group from assailing it." He gives a wide grin, showing his many sharp fangs, "Thankfully, you lot are anything but."

Morcleon
2017-06-30, 05:04 PM
Higashiyama Haruka

Finishing the last drop of her tea, Haruka sets her cup down and smiles to herself. "Truly, an exquisite drink. My compliments to the brewer. And to the unicorn."

As the group arrives outside, she squints in the bright sun. Her hands cover her eyes and she grumbles softly, but she has an excited gleam in her eyes. "Hmph. Martial prowess, huh? I wonder how skilled they are..."

Dimers
2017-07-03, 03:57 AM
Brand keeps his form visible for the benefit of his allies. When they're set loose by the fiend, he asks, "Do any of you teleport? ... No? Well, I won't get tired walking, but l can't run, either. Don't get too far ahead if you want my support." He sets off in the direction indicated, silently and steadily, at the speed of a human jog.

A double move takes me 80'.

Archer the Cat
2017-07-03, 05:10 PM
Night time in the Sunspire Mountains is a test of patience - the jagged slopes that normally test the athleticism and endurance of it's inhabitants are now bathed in the silky, dark blue of the sky. With a waning moon, the normal silver light is now the light frosting of starlight. However, for creatures of darkness, these mountains are prime hunting grounds, where one can strike unseen and throw a hapless victim down the rocky slopes.

As the quartet of Ignisial's will make their way across the way, they come to the bottom of a smaller peak; a narrow path winds up to a smooth facing in the rock, the murderholes and arrow slits give away the fortified position of the hobgoblins, the torch light at the front gate is a beacon to our band of murderers -
how shall they crack the shell of stone and iron to get to the delicious victims inside?

From where the path begins, it is about 300 ft up a winding path cut into the rock to the front gate, lowered and appearing to be iron bars. 20 ft. above the gate, there are a pair of sentries standing on a balcony.

Dimers
2017-07-05, 11:23 PM
Manifested but still invisible to mundane eyes, Brand floats up close to the sentries and gate, inspecting them with senses arcane and plain.

Warlock power for invisibility. I roll Spot and Listen at +9 apiece, detect good needs no skill check, and my Spellcraft is +17 for purposes of detect magic.

LairdMaon
2017-07-07, 12:50 PM
"Murder holes, nice." Thresh looks over his shoulder, "Anyone have a rat handy?"