PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Nutty Professor of Mystra: All spells known & cast spontaneously!

Endarire
2017-06-14, 01:46 AM
Introduction
Greetings, fellow humans!

I found my life quite ordinary before I discovered this recipe for tremendous power. With my own power well-secured, I, Naomi, shall squash any rivals who seek to duplicate my success!

What is that?

The ability to, as an Archivist, turn my normally laborious prepatory spellcasting into pure spontaneity and transform my meager selection of spells known into all spells known!

Am I mad? Maybe! Am I nutty? Certainly!

Ahem. Here are the vital components, translated into a lingo more familiar to you:

Vital Components: Phase 1: Hathran Entry and Spontaneity
-Female (vital) Human (or any flavor thereof, but I prefer Silverbrow) LN (also vital) who worships Mystra (debatably the best deity every - also vital) Archivist7/Hathran1/Anything that progresses Archivist casting1.

-For simplicity, Archivist7 works; however, Archivist1/Anything that progresses Archivist casting7/Hathran1 are the only vital components. (Likely, if you can enter Hathran sooner through 'early entry' then do so! Circle Magic! Mwahaha!)

-The feats Ethran and Leadership are required. For a cohort, Druid3/whateverX is a simple and effective way to get the most vital component: The acorn of far travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a)! With it, as a Hathran, you can always access your Rashemi Spirit Magic, though you may be planes away! (Universal rules prevent you from actually casting [Chaotic] spells. That is only for Clerics and some other, lesser? beings!)

Vital Components: Phase 2: Libraries of Prayerbooks
-You will need enough planar knowledge - that is, Knowledge (Planes) - to be able to identify and call a Mirror Mephit (Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - cite your sources!) with lesser planar binding. Pay it in shiny coins and gems if you must, but get it to use its simulacrum ability to make you a Sim Mirror Mephit.

-Use this Sim Mirror Mephit to make a Sim Efreeti.

-Use this Sim Efreeti to conquer the world! Mwahaha! Ahem. I mean, use its tri-wish ability to get you prayerbooks filled with all the spells you'd ever need! Mwahaha! (I must stress that this is a well-documented safe use of wish, even if books suddently, mysteriously, fly in your direction due to this!)

-Make more of these Sims as prudent!

-Oh yes, debatably if Geomancers (Complete Divine 41 - cite your sources like this next time!) exist, they can freely convert all arcane spells to divine and vice versa! Anyone with the feat Alternative Source Spell (go find it yourself) could make arcane spells divine for you. Thus, if these exist, then your Sim Efreeti should be able to get you prayerbooks with these spells! Mwahaha!

Conclusion
Enjoy, puny mortals fellow humans!

khadgar567
2017-06-14, 02:07 AM
say cheeese this is why this forum rocks. nice work mate but why leadership you dont grab cohorts in any where in the build

Endarire
2017-06-14, 02:16 AM
Please be more attentative next time!

I quote, "-The feats Ethran and Leadership are required. For a cohort, Druid3/whateverX..."

But thank you for your post bumping interest!

Darrin
2017-06-14, 06:58 AM
-Use this Sim Efreeti to conquer the world! Mwahaha! Ahem. I mean, use its tri-wish ability to get you prayerbooks filled with all the spells you'd ever need! Mwahaha! (I must stress that this is a well-documented safe use of wish, even if books suddently, mysteriously, fly in your direction due to this!)

How exactly is this safe? Spellbooks have a price, and once that price goes above 25K, then is it still a valid and safe use for wish?

Or do you mean, wish for a spellbook full of spells, not necessarily *ALL* of the spells, that costs 25K max, repeat as necessary?

Jack_Simth
2017-06-14, 07:14 AM
How exactly is this safe? Spellbooks have a price, and once that price goes above 25K, then is it still a valid and safe use for wish?

Or do you mean, wish for a spellbook full of spells, not necessarily *ALL* of the spells, that costs 25K max, repeat as necessary?

There's a reason Endarire used the plural for prayerbooks. A simulacrum Efreeti will stick around until slain, and the ability to grant three Wishes to a mortal is a 1/day ability. So a prayerbook filled with spells costs 10,015 gp, and is not technically magical. 300 pages of spells per day per Efreeti.

Potential (not certain) issues:
1) There's some seriously fuzzy wording in Simulacrum. It's very simple for the DM in question to use the "and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD" (emphasis added) clause to say a Simulacrum Efreeti can't grant Wishes.
2) The Acorn of Far Travel (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) also has fuzzy wording. The intent appears to simply be "forested terrain", and also "Consumed on use".

Potential refinement:
As an Archivist, you don't need a Druid cohort. You just need to obtain a scroll of the spell to scribe in your prayerbook.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-06-14, 07:15 AM

I know someone's done the maths: using Blessed Books you don't need very many spellbooks, and they're under the 25K limit.

ShurikVch
2017-06-14, 08:27 AM
I know someone's done the maths: using Blessed Books you don't need very many spellbooks, and they're under the 25K limit.Ahem..
This book is never found as randomly generated treasure with spells already inscribed in it.Looks like you can wish for empty BBB, but not for BBB filled with spells to the cover

I must stress that this is a well-documented safe use of wish
The "safe use of wish" is a myth.
No such thing
There is no "safe use of wish" - only some lenient DMs

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-14, 09:23 AM
I... okay? It's pretty standard/well known cheese, though. Hathran+Acorn of Far Travel is pretty common, the Archivist's ability to potentially know all spells is a major selling point, and after that you're basically just wish-looping for prayerbooks, though the simulacrum-efreeti is a nice technique.

Ahem..Looks like you can wish for empty BBB, but not for BBB filled with spells to the cover

No such thing
Um.

A wish can produce any one of the following effects.
You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)
The "greater effects" part is the only bit that mentions the spell behaving oddly; otherwise, it would follow normal spell rules and work exactly as intended.

Anthrowhale
2017-06-14, 09:35 AM
My preferred build here is something like: Wizard 1/Archivist 2/Church Inquisitor 2/Dweomer Keeper 2/Hathran 5/DK 4/Lore Master 1/?? 3

Some suggestions:

Instead of using Wish, just hire the relevant spellcaster to contribute a spell while you scribe a scroll. Since the archivist scribes, the result is a divine scroll. This is straightforward, routine, and viable from level 1.
Taking 2 more levels of Hathran qualifies for Initiate of Mystra.
Taking 2 levels beyond that grants Circle Magic.
If you take one level of wizard, you can qualify for Uncanny Forethought which is a decent alternate approach to spontaneous casting that is Disjunction-proof and potentially available from level 1.
There is a synergy between Dweomer Keeper and Spell Mastery+Uncanny Forethought in that you can make any chosen spell standard action qualifying for Supernatural Spell.

So, you can achieve "all spells spontaneous" from level 2 (with flaws) and use your prestige class levels for other forms of broken-good.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-06-14, 11:32 AM
Ahem..Looks like you can wish for empty BBB, but not for BBB filled with spells to the cover
Isn't the value of a full BBB, by RAW, the same as an empty one? Because there are no scribing costs? Also, you're not "finding it as treasure": you're wishing for it.

No such thing
Again, by RAW, aren't there designated safe uses of Wish?

Zanos
2017-06-14, 11:51 AM
Again, by RAW, aren't there designated safe uses of Wish?
Yes, they're listed in the wish spell.

I... okay? It's pretty standard/well known cheese, though. Hathran+Acorn of Far Travel is pretty common, the Archivist's ability to potentially know all spells is a major selling point, and after that you're basically just wish-looping for prayerbooks, though the simulacrum-efreeti is a nice technique.
Yeah, I don't see anything actually new here, and it relies on infinite efreeti wishes. A spontaneous divination wizard can also take versatile spellcaster to cast all arcane spells spontaneously, though. Getting all divine spells on a wizard is harder.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-14, 12:44 PM
An Artificer cohort would be a better bet for loading up on spells known-- they can craft any spell for you at about the same level you get your hands on slots, thanks to their +2 CL for crafting items.

ShurikVch
2017-06-14, 12:49 PM
Isn't the value of a full BBB, by RAW, the same as an empty one? Because there are no scribing costs?Nope; cost of full BBB is indeterminable, because nobody will sell it to you
Also, you're not "finding it as treasure": you're wishing for it.You can't wish for items with "-" price (outside of DM fiat)

Again, by RAW, aren't there designated safe uses of Wish?In the past, somebody on this forum mentioned something about the article which advising DMs about how to work with players who using Wish spell; in short - the recipe is "The Monkey's Paw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey%27s_Paw)"; the "safe uses of wish", by the article, aren't safe at all - they're strongly depend on DM's good will, and can backfire just as badly as "unsafe" ones

I don't read the article in question personally (so, please, excuse me if it's actually a myth), but still fairly sure:
1) You can't use the Wish without interacting with DM. (Yes, we kinda may say it about every single spell in the game - fireball etc; but the Wish is literally "ask the DM" spell, and none of it's possible effects is "for granted")
2) There are some DMs who are (even without reading that article) still follow it's advices to the letter

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-14, 01:06 PM
It doesn't matter what some random article on the Internet says; the text of the spell makes it pretty clear that the list IS safe and guaranteed.

Zanos
2017-06-14, 01:08 PM
I don't read the article in question personally (so, please, excuse me if it's actually a myth), but still fairly sure:
Really? Link the article if you're going to try to present it as any kind of authority.

1) You can't use the Wish without interacting with DM. (Yes, we kinda may say it about every single spell in the game - fireball etc; but the Wish is literally "ask the DM" spell, and none of it's possible effects is "for granted")
No, it's the same of fireball. There's an explicit list of things a wish can do without any further adjudication.

2) There are some DMs who are (even without reading that article) still follow it's advices to the letter
Not that I've played with. And some DMs not following rules doesn't change what they are.