PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e Princes of the Apocalypse IC 2 : Pinnacle and Pit

Theoboldi
2017-06-14, 10:49 AM
Thread 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?494316-D-amp-D-5e-Princes-of-the-Apocalypse-IC)

Last time, on Princes of the Apocalypse!

Our heroes' visit to Feathergale Spire has brought them more questions than answers! Not only has the thus far seemingly hostile Feathergale Society turned out to be looking for an alliance, the missing Lord Xander de Lancette has turned up amidst their ranks, strangely unable to tell why he has informed no one of his recent activities! Even stranger, they appear to be working together with the still enigmatic cult of elemental air, which's motives remain in the dark.

As they wait for a grand banquet the knights of the society will hold, our heroes have decided to do some investigating. Utilizing their social and infiltrative skills, they look for any clues the Spire might hold. Yet they'd best be careful, for getting caught may just put an end to the peace they've been offered.

Anac and Theren

Lump is successfully summoned into the locked room, discovering a chamber that is much like the others, albeit much more spacious. While all the other rooms have been divided into two separate living quarters, this one contains only one bed, closet and chest, the latter two of which are both closed shut, yet also has the same luxurious curtains, tapestries and fireplace that all the other rooms share.

The furniture itself is of slightly better craftsmanship than that in the other rooms. What stands out is a small writing desk in the corner, unique to this room. Atop it are various writing supplies like papers, quills and inks, as well as a closed, cylindrical, leather case, the kind meant to hold important letters.

DigoDragon
2017-06-14, 10:56 AM
"Four months now, I believe." he says, not stopping his care of the mounts as he talks. "We all moved in here relatively recently. But I'm sure glad we did. Here, we can take the fight to the enemies of Waterdeep every day. And I get to take care of my lovely hippogriffs.

Better than rotting away in some old family manor if you ask me." At that, he laughs in the self-satisfied, but hearty way only people his age can laugh..

Karashi looks around the stalls. Are there any empty ones? You know, maybe a couple giant birds are missing... might have flown off, met with a terrible fate out there. Never know what kind of crazy adventurers might slay them...

Perception [roll0]

Fishybugs
2017-06-14, 10:57 AM
Corbett fakes a laugh with the knight then asks, "Oh yes...much better than sitting around doing nothing. What enemies? Who are you fighting out here?"

Armored Walrus
2017-06-14, 11:22 AM
Anac silently commands lump to paw at the items on the desk, seeing if he can fumble open any of the letter cases, or see if there are any documents lying out in plain view.

If there is anything visible, I want to read it through lump's eyes. If he can paw open anything and expose a document, same. Here's a roll for you: [roll0]

Theoboldi
2017-06-15, 07:11 AM
Karashi and Corbett

Digo, don't forget Karashi actually has a perception bonus. I won't be able to remind you of it every time. :smallwink:

Not that it matters in this case, since looking into the stalls to see if there are any empty ones is trivially easy and does not require any rolls. And if you're attempting to judge whether the stalls look long abandoned or if anything seems to have happened in them, that'd be an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Indeed, about half the stalls of the stables are empty. They all look recently used and lived in however, with trampled straw covering the ground and the remains of meals and defecations coating several points. The old knight notices your curiosity, and grunts a quick answer.

"Most of us are out during the day, patrolling the hills for bandits and monsters. And Edgar and Roland have taken their steeds up to the pinnacle, they're on guard duty today. Name's Barnaby, by the way, thanks for asking."

He lets the comment linger for a moment, before smirking. "Ah, don't take it so seriously." he says, turning to Corbett. "We're better than those coddled aristocrats back home. As for your questions, we've been fighting all sorts of things. Orcs, ogres and trolls, the usual. Sometimes chimeras and dangerous wyverns. But our sworn enemies are the vile cultists of the hills. You'll see your fair share of them yet. They rob and kill innocents, sometimes even dragging them off as sacrifices or slaves."

Anac and Theren

Lump finds a few written documents out in the open, but they're all of a relatively mundane, administrative kind. Mostly lists of purchased supplies, armory counts, that sort of stuff. All that remains is the unopened leather case. It's closed shut with a strap, but does not appear to be locked in any way. If only you could fumble it open.

However, Lump remains a cat, and his clumsy paws are not for a task normally done by hand. He tears and scratches a bit at the cylinder while on the desk, carefully attempting to seperate its top as per Anac's orders.

But in a moment of carelessness, it slips from his grasp, tumbling not only off the desk but taking a vial of ink with it.

'SMACK'

'CRACK'

Looking down over the edge of the desk, Lump discovers that his clumsiness has indeed resulted in the leather case being opened, a single letter now sticking out of it. Even better, the case has survived unharmed, as did the letter itself.

The same cannot be said for the vial of ink. The vial has completely shattered, its contents now running across the white stone floor. The sides of the wooden writing desk are stained with splattered ink, and shards of glass are everywhere. It's a rather fine mess.

Still, with a little care to avoid the spilled ink from getting onto his paws, Lump is able to remove the letter from its casing, rolling it out to be read on a clean part of the floor. It is written in fine, delicate letters, clearly crafted by a capable and graceful hand.

Merosska,

We are pleased to hear about the outcome of
your altercation with the Black Earth cult, and
we praise you for the capture of one of their
prisoners. This noblewoman from Waterdeep
has an interesting tale to tell, and we shall enjoy
interrogating her further. Keep a close watch on
the Sacred Stone Monastery. I want to know what
our enemy is planning next.

Your beloved queen,
Aerisi Kalinoth

By the by, Anac, Lump's creature type is Fey, right? Not asking for any particular reason. :smallwink:

Armored Walrus
2017-06-15, 07:18 AM
Anac turns to Theren, quickly summarizing what he's read in the letter, then nods his head toward the door. "Do you happen to have any way to clean that up?"

Yep, fey. Theren, prestidigitation on the ink?

Theoboldi
2017-06-15, 07:21 AM
Theren is unable to see the spill through the keyhole, and thus cannot cast any spell on it unless he spends time to pick the lock.

Armored Walrus
2017-06-15, 07:42 AM
Anac shrugs, dismissing Lump.

"Let's see what's on the next level."

DigoDragon
2017-06-15, 07:43 AM
Karashi and Corbett

Digo, don't forget Karashi actually has a perception bonus. I won't be able to remind you of it every time. :smallwink:

Not that it matters in this case, since looking into the stalls to see if there are any empty ones is trivially easy and does not require any rolls. And if you're attempting to judge whether the stalls look long abandoned or if anything seems to have happened in them, that'd be an Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Indeed, about half the stalls of the stables are empty. They all look recently used and lived in however, with trampled straw covering the ground and the remains of meals and defecations coating several points. The old knight notices your curiosity, and grunts a quick answer.

"Most of us are out during the day, patrolling the hills for bandits and monsters. And Edgar and Roland have taken their steeds up to the pinnacle, they're on guard duty today. Name's Barnaby, by the way, thanks for asking."

He lets the comment linger for a moment, before smirking. "Ah, don't take it so seriously." he says, turning to Corbett. "We're better than those coddled aristocrats back home. As for your questions, we've been fighting all sorts of things. Orcs, ogres and trolls, the usual. Sometimes chimeras and dangerous wyverns. But our sworn enemies are the vile cultists of the hills. You'll see your fair share of them yet. They rob and kill innocents, sometimes even dragging them off as sacrifices or slaves."

Interesting fact--If I had forgotten Karashi's perception bonus, why did I bother adding a '+0' to the roll? ;)

I knew the bonus, but I probably didn't notice that I hit 0 instead of 2 when I typed up the code on the number pad. :smalltongue:

"Yes, these cultists are awful people," Karashi says, "But we have dealt with several of them. Crushed the rock cult in Red Larch, rattled the bones of the necro-magic guy in the caves, and washed out the water cult from Womford. We have them on the run now. Will be chasing them soon enough like the welps they are."

kladams707
2017-06-16, 02:13 PM
Anac shrugs, dismissing Lump.

"Let's see what's on the next level."

Theren considered trying to pick the lock, but felt they were pushing their luck if they remained.

So, you're just going to pretend nothing happened aren't you? Theren whispered as they continued on.

Theoboldi
2017-06-17, 11:15 AM
Karashi and Corbett

"Don't underestimate them." the elderly knight says with an amused snort. "I've heard you folks drove a priest and some corrupt officials out of town. But they've got plenty more of that where they came from. Did you find any magic items on them? Bastards come armed to the teeth it seems."

Anac and Theren

Leaving the mess you've created behind to be discovered, and the letter you've just read unfurled on the floor, you quickly make your way towards the floor below, where you step through a large pair of double doors into a grand hall.

This great hall spans half the diameter of the tower. Between the overlarge windows, tapestries depict scenes of gallant knights on flying hippogriffs, fighting dragons and jousting with one another among the clouds. High on the walls are the mounted heads of griffons, wyverns, owlbears, and manticores. A long, curved table set for a feast stretches between the hall’s twin hearths.

Here with you, just behind the table, are two more knights, both armed and armored, but looking otherwise off-duty. They are talking to one another, apparently sharing some gossip about Waterdhevian noblewomen. They stop for a moment, however, to greet you.

"Ah, good day to you. You must be our guests. Hungry for the festivities, are you? Sadly, our feast is still being prepared."

Looking around, you spot several more rooms behind the wall housing the central staircase. Through open doors, you can see that they appear much like the rooms above, smaller living quarters for the knights.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170617/t9ebfrve.jpg

DigoDragon
2017-06-17, 12:04 PM
Karashi and Corbett

"Don't underestimate them." the elderly knight says with an amused snort. "I've heard you folks drove a priest and some corrupt officials out of town. But they've got plenty more of that where they came from. Did you find any magic items on them? Bastards come armed to the teeth it seems."

"We find just weapons they used on us. Some are worthy opponents, but bested all the same," Karashi says.

kladams707
2017-06-18, 03:13 AM
Karashi and Corbett

Anac and Theren

Leaving the mess you've created behind to be discovered, and the letter you've just read unfurled on the floor, you quickly make your way towards the floor below, where you step through a large pair of double doors into a grand hall.

This great hall spans half the diameter of the tower. Between the overlarge windows, tapestries depict scenes of gallant knights on flying hippogriffs, fighting dragons and jousting with one another among the clouds. High on the walls are the mounted heads of griffons, wyverns, owlbears, and manticores. A long, curved table set for a feast stretches between the hall’s twin hearths.

Here with you, just behind the table, are two more knights, both armed and armored, but looking otherwise off-duty. They are talking to one another, apparently sharing some gossip about Waterdhevian noblewomen. They stop for a moment, however, to greet you.

"Ah, good day to you. You must be our guests. Hungry for the festivities, are you? Sadly, our feast is still being prepared."

Looking around, you spot several more rooms behind the wall housing the central staircase. Through open doors, you can see that they appear much like the rooms above, smaller living quarters for the knights.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170617/t9ebfrve.jpg

Ah indeed we are and good day to you Theren responded cordially. You might not happen to know what is on the menu for tonight? He asks, hoping to open a conversation.

Theoboldi
2017-06-19, 07:39 AM
Karashi and Corbett

"Best hold onto them close, then. There's some things out there you don't want to meet without some magic to fall back on. That chunk of iron on your back won't cut through everything." the old man says, completely unconcerned by any angry reaction on Karashi's part over him insulting her heirloom weapon.

"Name's Barnaby, by the way. Of the Damars, if that means anything to you."

Indeed, Damar is the name of a Waterdhevian noble family, though a relatively minor one. They're old blood, and have recently made good money by selling marble and other valuable building materials.

Anac and Theren

"Merosska's been keeping quiet as ever about his banquets." The knight who initially asked you starts up, smirking. "So I don't know what it will be, but we can be certain it will be quite the treat."

"Perhaps we'll have that delightful salt-bathed venison again." his companion adds in. "And I believe I saw the servants prepare a stuffed owlbear. Must be the same one I slayed myself!"

"I hope it will be quite tender. If it's the same one, the meat has barely had a few days to age."

DigoDragon
2017-06-19, 07:53 AM
completely unconcerned by any angry reaction on Karashi's part over him insulting her heirloom weapon.

Karashi ponders for a moment her ability to swing one of these giant birds like a club.

"Do you remember how many was Lord Xander's party when they arrived and took residence here?" Karashi asks.

kladams707
2017-06-19, 12:22 PM
Anac and Theren

"Merosska's been keeping quiet as ever about his banquets." The knight who initially asked you starts up, smirking. "So I don't know what it will be, but we can be certain it will be quite the treat."

"Perhaps we'll have that delightful salt-bathed venison again." his companion adds in. "And I believe I saw the servants prepare a stuffed owlbear. Must be the same one I slayed myself!"

"I hope it will be quite tender. If it's the same one, the meat has barely had a few days to age."

Theren responds in an even manner that hints at slight enthusiasm. You two must have been out fairly recently. I'm sure you've face your share of enemies. What have your been your encounters like with the cultist?

Theoboldi
2017-06-20, 03:00 AM
Karashi and Corbett

Somewhere, at the very back of her head, Karashi gets the bizarre feeling that a wolf may be chewing her out right now for disrespecting her elders, but then the very next moment that feeling is gone.

The knight, meanwhile, returns to feeding his charges as he answers Karashi's question. "De Lancette? He rode here alone, on that Hippgriff over there. Why, is there somebody you're looking for?" He sounds a little suspicious about the question, but seems like he still wants to help.

Theren and Anac

"Dangerous! While their lesser members and recruits may be mere men, most of them are blessed in some unholy fashion by their vile gods! Not just that, they domesticate all sorts of vicious beasts, and use them in their attacks! But in the end, our righteousness always prevails."

"Indeed." the other knight says, somewhat hurriedly. "Ruffians like them stand no chance against men and women of education. We're educated in the ways of magic ourselves, after all."

Somehow, you once again get the feeling that the knights are talking up their own capabilities.

"We'll be happy to regale you with some stories of our battles at the feast. And, perhaps you may be willing to tell us some of your adventures there as well?"

DigoDragon
2017-06-20, 07:24 AM
"Was the Lord injured when he arrived?"

Armored Walrus
2017-06-20, 07:33 AM
Anac turns to Theren questioningly. This feels like a dismissal, but, in a rare moment of grasping the ways of the land bound, the bird man wants to make sure his friend is done with his conversation before moving on.

Fishybugs
2017-06-20, 09:25 AM
Corbett glances at Karashi, wondering where her line of questioning is going. He waits a few moments to hear the answer before drilling the knight with any of his own.

kladams707
2017-06-21, 10:55 AM
Theren and Anac

"Dangerous! While their lesser members and recruits may be mere men, most of them are blessed in some unholy fashion by their vile gods! Not just that, they domesticate all sorts of vicious beasts, and use them in their attacks! But in the end, our righteousness always prevails."

"Indeed." the other knight says, somewhat hurriedly. "Ruffians like them stand no chance against men and women of education. We're educated in the ways of magic ourselves, after all."

Somehow, you once again get the feeling that the knights are talking up their own capabilities.

"We'll be happy to regale you with some stories of our battles at the feast. And, perhaps you may be willing to tell us some of your adventures there as well?"

I look forward to it. Theren replied, noting the hurry in their voice. Come Anac. I think we should prepare for the festivities. Theren pauses for a moment before asking the two Actually, we should probably collect our friends as well; you wouldn't happened to have seen them? They went their own way when we decided to take in this marvelous tower and meet the residents within.

Theoboldi
2017-06-22, 05:07 AM
Everone

At this point, you hear the rattling of heavy iron chains from within the tower, and shortly thereafter wood slamming against stone. The noise is below Anac and Theren but above Karashi and Corbett. From what it sounds like, it seems like the knights just pulled up the drawbridge.

Karashi and Corbett

"I didn't see any injuries on him." Barnaby says curtly, this whole angle of approach clearly bewildering him. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Theren and Anac

The knights look at each other for a moment, then both shrug. Finally, one of them answers. "We've heard someone walk down the stairs earlier. They didn't come in here, so we didn't who it was."

"Perhaps-" the other one interjects "-they went up to the pinnacle! it's quite the view up there."

DigoDragon
2017-06-22, 05:34 AM
it seems like the knights just pulled up the drawbridge.

Uh oh.

"I didn't see any injuries on him." Barnaby says curtly, this whole angel of approach clearly bewildering him. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Nevermind then. Karashi may be confusing him with someone else. We have been fighting cultists up and down this valley for days and looking for specific people all over. It has been a big task."

Armored Walrus
2017-06-22, 07:04 AM
Anac shrugs and walks out of the room. Curious to see what all the noise was about, he heads down to the next level of the tower.

kladams707
2017-06-22, 02:26 PM
Theren pretends not to hear the noise. He nods his head in recognition to the two before following Anac to the level below.

Fishybugs
2017-06-22, 05:13 PM
Corbett moves close to the knight with a smile on his face. He bobs his head towards Karashi and quietly tells the knight, "She's taken a few blows to the head. She gets a little confused sometimes. Forgicve her awkwardness."

He looks at the creatures again, then comments again to Barnaby, "As it turns out, I do know of your family. It seems they've come into good fortune of late, if I recall. My father purchased some material from the Damars to add on to his school not too long ago."

DigoDragon
2017-06-22, 05:36 PM
Karashi storms out of the room in a huff. Men.

Theoboldi
2017-06-23, 02:47 PM
Corbett

On one hand, Barnaby does not look particularly convinced by Corbett's words. But on the other, he doesn't really do anything to stop Karashi from leaving, shrugging as she does. It appears he's willing to just go along with it for now.

"It's a little mercantile venture." he says in response to Corbett. "My son's in charge of it. I'm glad he's doing well, but it's all pretty unimportant in the bigger picture, if you ask me. I wish that boy was out here, fighting for the cause like you are.

Gotta admit, though. Didn't think I'd ever see a Meere take up arms again. It was different, back in the old days, of course. Your grandfather could fire spells with the best of them." There is something of a nostalgic gleam in the old man's eyes.

Anac, Theren and Karashi

You all happen to head for the Ground floor at the same time, meeting up right at the stairs just in time to see who has just pulled up the drawbridge. A servant of the knights, dressed in simple cloth, is currently leading your group of Aarakocra warriors into the Spire, ushering them towards a room south of the stairway. The room is open, and looking inside you notice it to be rather spartan, containing nothing more than four double bunk beds. It's plenty of space for the warriors to rest, but not nearly up to par with the quarters you have been given.

The warriors stop for a moment as they walk by you, their elemental still in tow. In here, its flickering, swirling body is creating quite a noticeable draft. Quickly, they explain to you that the knights informed them that you would be staying here for a feast, and that they'll be allowed to rest here until after the feast.

"Excellent work, `*Ana'er`'e~i*! Making these knights our allies was the best decision you've made yet!" Qualqtef says, before continuing shortly in Aarakocra.

"Just in time, too. Our elemental will not stay within this plane for much longer."

With that, he marches off towards the dormitory room given to him, not even giving you another glance. It's basic aarakocra etiquette. The other tribesmen also give you little more than quick vocalisations of joy as they pass by.

Meanwhile, you spot de Lancette, standing by a group of levers near the doors between the entry hall and the staircase. He either has not noticed you yet, or more likely, is pretending that he hasn't to avoid talking to you.

Behind the doors to the other rooms, you can hear movement and noise. There are probably servants behind them, who would most likely not be happy to be interrupted without reason.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170623/wvynydfo.jpg

Armored Walrus
2017-06-23, 03:13 PM
Anac leans near Theren and Karashi, and says in a low voice, "If we are sticking with our peaceful approach, so be it. However, if we plan any violence, it should happen soon. Qualtqef reminds me that our elemental ally will not be with us much longer"

Anac delivers this message in a matter-of-fact voice, not giving any indication whether he feels one plan is better than the other.

After a moment's thought, he fingers his arcane focus, points his other finger toward the stables, and mumbles the same message to Corbett.

Fishybugs
2017-06-23, 03:42 PM
Corbett Meere (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=988521) 3rd level Cleric of Torm
AC: 17 HP: 24 Concentrating on: --

Corbett smiles at the reference to his grandfather. "Oh yes. Old Habeus. You'd think he was the bastard son of a Fire Genasi the way he threw around those fireballs. Had to rebuild the evocation wing of the school a few times." He pauses a moment before continuing. "After dad focused on the school, he wasn't much for travelling or getting his hands dirty. He's too caught up in Being Important. I can't stomach all the politics. That's how I ended up out here."

Time to see if there was anything else.

"It's odd that the Lord's Alliance didn't mention you guys out here. You'd think that if they were sending us out here to search, rescue, and battle they might mention an entire tower of knights who would be allies in the fight."

DigoDragon
2017-06-23, 03:58 PM
Anac leans near Theren and Karashi, and says in a low voice, "violence"

"Karashi wish, but... cannot find signs of bad doing," she whispers back.

kladams707
2017-06-23, 04:01 PM
Anac leans near Theren and Karashi, and says in a low voice, "If we are sticking with our peaceful approach, so be it. However, if we plan any violence, it should happen soon. Qualtqef reminds me that our elemental ally will not be with us much longer"

Anac delivers this message in a matter-of-fact voice, not giving any indication whether he feels one plan is better than the other.

After a moment's thought, he fingers his arcane focus, points his other finger toward the stables, and mumbles the same message to Corbett.

We should remain as vigilant as these knights; Theren responds in normal voice, giving Anac a look of 'let's not'. He didn't want to talk in a hushed tone with De Lancette or any of the other such members of the society present. Besides, we must make like our new allies and prepare for the feast.

He gives De Lancette a nod of acknowledgment, whether he looks there way or not, then heads back toward their accommodations, hoping the other two will at least follow suit.

Theoboldi
2017-06-23, 04:13 PM
Corbett

"Now isn't that the truth? Waterdeep's full of self-important politicians these days. People more concerned with appearances than getting things done, if you ask me."

Barnaby, now that Karashi is gone, seems even more easygoing than earlier.

"The Feathergale Knights are a secret society. Only a few, select people get to know about us. That way, we can go out and set things right without having to worry about bureaucracy getting in our way. Or the interest of some posh fop in a faraway mansion.

We could use boys like you in our ranks. You've got your head screwed on right, and your heart in the right place."

Armored Walrus
2017-06-23, 04:20 PM
Anac quietly follows the elf upstairs.

DigoDragon
2017-06-23, 04:54 PM
Karashi follows the bird that follows the elf.

Fishybugs
2017-06-23, 05:21 PM
Corbett Meere (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=988521) 3rd level Cleric of Torm

Corbett smiles, nodding his head. "Well, the thought of belonging to a secret organization where my dad won't find me does appeal. How does it stay secret? Big ol' spire like this? Flying around on these beautiful creatures?"

Theoboldi
2017-06-24, 05:49 AM
Corbett

"Who's going to see us out here? We're in the middle of nowhere, hiding in a long-abandoned ruin. And when we do run into someone, we can just claim we're adventurers. Say what you want about Merosska, but he has this figured out."

He looks at the hippogriffs for a moment, then back at Corbett.

"Ever rode on a flying mount? Tell you what, Merosska's planning a big hunt for after the feast tonight. We'll go out and slay a monster haunting this very valley. If you want, I'll give you a hippogriff or vulture of your own to fly."

Everyone else

You all return to your rooms without issue, not meeting anyone else on your way there. The door to Merosska's room is still closed when you arrive on the third floor.

Alright, looks like the investigation is drawing to an end? Feel free to discuss what you've discovered, or to continue talking with the knights as much as you want. Tell me when you want me to move things forward.

DigoDragon
2017-06-24, 07:14 AM
"Karashi was sure this was a place full of bad people, but so far only bad person is stable hand who insulted Karashi's sword. Lump of iron. Humph! Karashi should snap man's neck in two..."

kladams707
2017-06-24, 07:32 AM
After Karashi finishes her rant, Theren speaks

Now we can talk quietly. The walls may very well have ears. Anac, go ahead and tell Karashi about the letter that was found, Theren said in a now similarly hushed tone as Anac had before.

Armored Walrus
2017-06-24, 09:24 AM
"Well, it appears these knights have raided the Black Earth Cult,and freed a prisoner of their - a noblewoman from Waterdeep- but rather than send her home, they sent her on to their 'Queen' to be interrogated. I don't think these folks are as gallant as they'd like us to believe. However, they have been instructed by their queen to keep an eye on the Sacred Stone Monastery, so I believe we could count on their aid if we are going to raid that place."

Fishybugs
2017-06-24, 11:12 AM

Corbett's eyebrows raise as high as possible at the offer to hunt. "Wow, Barbaby. I...uh...I've never ridden one." He looks to the hippogriff then back to the knight. "There's..like...harnesses and stuff, right?" As he asks this, he looks around the stables for the mentioned gear...and anything else which might appear out of place.

Investigation roll: [roll0]

EDIT: I feel I should change my title to 3rd level Oblivious Cleric of Torm.

DigoDragon
2017-06-24, 11:13 AM
"So we are looking at an 'enemy of my enemy' situation?"

Theoboldi
2017-06-25, 12:13 PM
Corbett

You take a few looks into the stables, keeping your eyes peeled for any sort of riding gear and other things that appear out of place. However, you are not given much time, as Barnaby almost immediately clears his throat, and then points at a harness, riding crop and saddle that hangs within each and every one of the stalls.

"Hrmph. That's a shame. Griffon riding is a proud Waterdhevian tradition, and you're more than cut out to be a rider. Better late than never, I suppose."

Fishybugs
2017-06-25, 03:37 PM

Corbett eyes the harnesses a little suspiciously. Everyone in his family could levitate, fly, or fall light as a feather except him...of course. "Well...I'll tell you what. I'm sure this Merosska of yours is a good man, but he's still a lord and politician. If I survive the dinner, I'd be proud to learn how to sky-hunt from you," he says with a smile on his face to let Barnaby know he's being light-hearted.

After that, he makes his good-byes and joins the others, frustrated that everything seems to be on the up-and-up.

kladams707
2017-06-25, 08:53 PM
"So we are looking at an 'enemy of my enemy' situation?"

I suspect they see us in the same manner, which really is the best outcome at this point, Theren responded to Karashi. We should still be wary though considering what the contents of the letter may imply....

DigoDragon
2017-06-25, 09:28 PM
"Wonder where that person in the letter is now?"

Theoboldi
2017-06-26, 01:16 PM
Corbett

"I'm looking forward to it, boy." Barnaby says, returning your smirk. "Until later, then. I'll see you at the feast."

With that, he waves you goodbye, as you return to your bedchambers.

Everyone

Eventually, Corbett arrives back on the third floor of the Spire, where his friends quickly explain everything that has happened and what they've discovered to him, while he tells them what he's managed to get out of Barnaby.

Though the knowledge that these knights are most likely not all they appear to be gives you pause, for now you decide to simply wait it out, hoping to at least gain their help in striking at the Sacred Stone Monastery, the likely location of the Black Earth cult.

As such, you take a rest, giving your weary bones some time to recover from the stress of your travels. Beyond the door to the chamber, you occasionally hear the sound of footsteps passing by, doors being opened and closed, and muffled conversations.

You all gain the benefits of a short rest.

Eventually, the day turns to noon, and the sun slowly sinks behind the horizon. By the sounds of it, it appears that there is now quite a commotion on the floor beneath yours, the preparations for the feast no doubt in full swing. Only when the sun has finally sunken completely, and the moon hangs up high in the air, you hear a knock upon your door.

Opening up reveals one of the knights' servants, who curtly tells you that it is time for the feast, and that you should follow him. With it being too late for any other course of action, you follow him, as he leads you down the stairs.

Clad in fine, almost ceremonial gilded suits of armor, and adorned with capes of velvet brocade, the knights sit at a curved table in the great hall, where twin hearths blaze. In total, there are a dozen of them, each armed with knightly blades and fine spears, and busy partaking in the grand feast in front of them.

And what a feast it is. Though not lavish by noble standards, the table is filled to the brim with foods and drink, a glistening piece of cold venison here, a large pot of boiling boar stew there, baked crayfish with saffron and sharp cheese.....no stuffed owlbear yet, though. They'll probably save that for at least the second course.

Thurl Merosska sits at the head of the table, Xander de Lancette right next to his side, while Barnaby is a little further away. Though most of the knights look as festive as one would expect, Xander looks a little downtrodden.

As the servant closes the doors behind you, Merosska stands up, raises a glass and calls attention to your presence.

"Honored guests," he says. "Please, seat yourselves! We are eager to hear stories of your adventures!"

Armored Walrus
2017-06-26, 01:43 PM
Wanting to keep things relatively neutral, Anac will launch into a tale about how the party handled the bandits by the roadside, and the resulting confrontation with the guardian of the nearby tomb. He plays up Karashi's martial prowess, and Corbett's steadfast courage. He make little mention of himself or Theren.

DigoDragon
2017-06-26, 01:45 PM
Karashi sits down to eat while Anac has the stage. She's flattered that Anac speaks highly of her skill in battle.

kladams707
2017-06-27, 09:15 AM
Theren listens to Anac's tale, nearly forgetting himself before realizing that Merosska hadn't yet eaten. He waits for a couple of reasons, least of all that it is polite. At the point Anac stop and the host begins his meal, Theren partakes, though his sips and bites are very careful, as if trying to ascertain any foreign contents in them.

Theoboldi
2017-06-28, 09:38 AM
Anac retells your adventure of handling the bandits that threatened the roads around Red Larch, always careful to put emphasis on Karashi's and Corbett's actions, praising them to the high heavens above. And yet, even though it is a rather exciting story, you don't get much of a reaction from the knights.

In fact, as you sit down, you notice that they appear to be listening rather intently to what you are saying, their eyes peeled despite the smiles on their faces. Something here feels very wrong indeed.

When Anac has finally finished his story, there is silence for a moment, no one saying a word. Finally, Merosska breaks the silence again, giving a hearty laugh and raising his goblet high. "Hahahaha! An excellent story, noble aarakocra! I can barely believe you've met with such a spectre and lived! In fact-!"

Suddenly, he slams his goblet down, spilling its contents onto the table. At the same moment, the other knights suddenly rise, those near to you drawing their blades, while those further away pull out lengthy spears. Their expressions of merriment have been exchanged with a sudden seriousness. Even Xander pulls his spear, though he still looks as unhappy with this as he did earlier.

"-I think I do not believe a word that you are saying! Did you honestly believe I would not notice your trickery, would not notice that you had broken into my chamber? Lay down your weapons, or we will cut you down where you stand! That includes your spell components, magicians!"

For now, Merosska himself does not draw his greatsword nor his lance, but you figure he could do so at a moment's notice.

DigoDragon
2017-06-28, 12:52 PM
Karashi claps her hands slowly. "Oh ho ho, this is good. You had almost impressed Karashi; made her think you are band of great warriors to help the valley. But fox can't hide his scent among wolves, right? No, you have secrets. You have a queen. Independent warriors do not have queens, do they? So tell Karashi, queen of which land do you really serve?"

Fishybugs
2017-06-28, 01:22 PM
AC: 17 HP: 24 Concentrating on: Finding a way out of here

Corbett looks around the room, looking for his good friend Barnaby. If he spots him, he'll try to read his face for any comprehension of Karashi's accusations.

Perception to find Barnaby in a room full of armored knights: [roll0]
Insight to see if he knew about stuff: [roll1]

Theoboldi
2017-06-28, 02:05 PM
Corbett spots Barnaby at the table too, his weapons drawn and his face bereft of sympathy. Neither he, nor any of the other knights look surprised by Karashi's accusations. Not even Xander seems shocked. They all look as though they've been expecting to be confronted about this.

Merosska, as usual, takes the lead in confronting the half-orc. With a deep, furrowed scowl, he glares at her.

"How typical of an Uthgardt. You are unable to see the greater picture. Aerisi Kalinoth is the queen of no land. No, she is a prophet. The prophet of the Howling Hatred himself.

The protection of Waterdeep has always come at a price. Unsavory allies, brutality and sacrifices, we've had all sorts of secrets to keep. Because we are the ones making the tough choices for the good of all. People like you, or those pathetic politicians back home don't understand what it takes to bring prosperity and security to a city."

A murmur of agreement goes through the ranks of the knights, shared by seemingly everyone.

"Now do as I said and lay down your weapons, if you wish for even some of your friends to survive."

kladams707
2017-06-28, 02:21 PM
Corbett spots Barnaby at the table too, his weapons drawn and his face bereft of sympathy. Neither he, nor any of the other knights look surprised by Karashi's accusations. Not even Xander seems shocked. They all look as though they've been expecting to be confronted about this.

Merosska, as usual, takes the lead in confronting the half-orc. With a deep, furrowed scowl, he glares at her.

"How typical of an Uthgardt. You are unable to see the greater picture. Aerisi Kalinoth is the queen of no land. No, she is a prophet. The prophet of the Howling Hatred himself.

The protection of Waterdeep has always come at a price. Unsavory allies, brutality and sacrifices, we've had all sorts of secrets to keep. Because we are the ones making the tough choices for the good of all. People like you, or those pathetic politicians back home don't understand what it takes to bring prosperity and security to a city."

A murmur of agreement goes through the ranks of the knights, shared by seemingly everyone.

"Now do as I said and lay down your weapons, if you wish for even some of your friends to survive."

Theren's face grows a little pale as Karashi speaks. Then, at the mention of a greater picture and unsavory allies, Theren speaks. As he lays his bow and quiver on his table, his wand still on his person, he replies Merosska, you speak of understanding the bigger picture and tough choices. We too have had difficult choices to make. Karashi's words may be harsh, but you and I, we can appreciate what it takes to truly defend these lands. Just as you must remain vigilant against true enemies, we must also find out what we can if we are to trust one another. With your troops, we are clearly at your mercy, but consider...would you not have done the same were you in our position? Please, we have a mutual threat, and our elimination will not help you against it.

This is a hail mary natural 20 (from portent) for a 22 persuasion check

Armored Walrus
2017-06-29, 01:09 PM
Anac slowly places his wands on the table in front of him, following Theren's lead. He raises his hands.

Fishybugs
2017-06-29, 04:10 PM
Corbett's eyes never leave Barnaby's, a cold stare of the betrayed. He slides the scimitar from its sheath and he also lays it on the table. Good thing I didn't have the ancestral sword, he thinks to himself. I'd never hear the end of that.

Theoboldi
2017-06-30, 05:25 AM
Merosska listens to Theren as he speaks, his scowl still not abating. He carefully eyes everyone as they, with the exception of Karashi, put down their weapons. Only when the elf starts to plead with him does his expression soften a little, though not by much.

"Indeed, I would have done much the same in your position. But that does not mean I can trust you." He lets what he said sink in with you, before adding "Especially if you refuse to lay down your wand. I know about your abilities, Theren. Lord de Lancette has told me all about them."

At this, Xander actually averts his eyes, seeming almost a little pained. He does not appear to be liking this, but none of the knights seem to truly notice.

"But you clearly have the right idea, as does Lord Meere. You two are true Waterdhevians,fighting for righteousness in a thankless world, while your friends, that half-orc and the aarakocra, lash out at the only nobles willing to do the right thing. Surrender yourselves now and join us, before it is too late! Together, we can use the power of the Howling Hatred to defeat the vile forces of the cults, bring glory to Waterdeep, and security to the entire Sword Coast!

Knights!" he shouts "Take away their weapons! If they resist, cut them down where they stand!"

Several of the knights now approach you, their swords raised. They are clearly aiming to take Theren's wand and Karashi's sword and crossbow. Meanwhile, Xander stays back nearby Merosska, weakly shaking his head as his gaze drifts off into the distance. "Is this....is this truly necesarry? Can we not let their friends live?"

At this Merosska shoots him a glare, growling "They are nothing more than a threat, de Lancette. For the greater good, we must destroy them."

DigoDragon
2017-06-30, 06:59 AM
At this Merosska shoots him a glare, growling "They are nothing more than a threat, de Lancette. For the greater good, we must destroy them."

In one quick motion Karashi gets up and draws her sword, holding her ground against the knights. "Karashi sees you for what you are; honorless dogs! We would surrender and you plan to kill us while unarmed? You are no nobles! No warriors! You are fiends, and the gods will judge your actions here with contempt!"

Intimidation [roll0]

Fishybugs
2017-06-30, 09:02 AM
AC: 17 HP: 24/24 Concentrating on: --

Corbett stands next to Karashi still, his hand now lying upon the sword on the table in front of him. Father, you were right. Doing the right thing is going to kill me. The difference is, I don't see it as a bad thing. With that, he picks up his sword.

Corbett's voice snaps with authority he rarely uses. Part lord, part servant of a God of War. "Merosska! As you yourself have pointed out, I am a Lord of Waterdeep. I hereby declare you a criminal. You are charged with Consorting with the Enemy, Kidnapping of a Noblewoman of Waterdeep and accessory to her torture, and four counts of False Imprisonment with attempted Murder. Word of your shame will be spread far and wide." He pauses a moment as he focuses and pours the power of his god, Torm the True. "Surrender."

Cast Command on Merosska

kladams707
2017-06-30, 09:21 AM
Well, in for a penny, in for several pounds of flesh it seems...

With all the members of the party trying to sway Merosska, Corbett's spell the most recent attempt, Theren looks to de Lancette. Theren grips his wand, as if ready to place on the table before turning to Lancette. I know you're stronger than this! Lead these knights as you know they should! With the official charges levied against Merosska, it is now your duty to apprehend him!

I'm now hoping apprehending Merosska is now a reasonable Suggestion to de Lancette, because that is what Theren is casting on him

And if it is reasonable, then I'm using the 1 portent make him fail his save

Armored Walrus
2017-06-30, 12:13 PM
Anac quickly grabs his wands off the table in front of him, and readies himself for action.

Arcane focus in hand, the aarakocra quickly casts a spell, pointing toward the room his colony's warriors occupy. "If you are not held, get to the third floor immediately. Violence is imminent. If you are held, attack now!" He whispers this message to the shaman of his people.

Theoboldi
2017-07-01, 10:26 AM
The knights, undeterred by Karashi's words, raise their swords, now seemingly ready to strike at the half-orc. For a moment, it seems like all is lost, and the time for your final stand has come.

In that moment, Corbett surprises everyone by unleashing his clerical magic. The power of his command weaves through the air, catching Merosska entirely off-guard. The knight-commander trembles for a moment, attempting to resist, but then raises his hands and gets on his knees.

"I surrender." he says mechanically, catching the attention of the other knights.

Then, Theren's spell goes off. Just as foreseen, in the sudden confusion Xander de Lancette is utterly powerless to resist the magic as it weaves into his thoughts. His eyes loosing a little bit of their blank stare, he swirls around to Merosska, and places his blade against the commander's neck.

"Yes...he's right...Merosska, you've gone too far! In the name of the Alliance and Waterdeep's lords, you are under arrest."

Almost immediately, the other knights lose all interest in you. Instead, they turn towards Xander, clearly unhappy to see him threatening their leader.

"Stay back, you fool!"

"You will regret this!"

"Traitor! Put aside your blade!"

In the meantime, Anac sends his Message to the other Aarakocra, calling to mind their forms and location. Yet, something goes wrong. He's not quite sure what, but he cannot quite make a connection with them, as if they are no longer where he thinks they are. His spell fizzles into nothing.

Quickly, Corbett's hold on Merosska's thoughts starts to fade, and you notice the knight-commander glare up at Xander, then at you. This may be your last chance to run, while everyone is still distracted.

Armored Walrus
2017-07-02, 09:50 AM
Clutching his wands, Anac sprints for the door to the stairwell. As soon as he makes it through the door, his features begin to change. He pelts down the stairs as he assumes the form of Merosska himself.

Mask of Many Faces to disguise myself as Mr AirHead

Fishybugs
2017-07-02, 10:18 AM
Seeing Anachronistic make a break for it, Corbett grabs his stuff and follows. "Let's go, Karashi. Hurry.

DigoDragon
2017-07-02, 12:42 PM
Karashi follows Corbett's command, weapon still in hand, but making for the stairs and hopefully the exit.

kladams707
2017-07-02, 03:05 PM
Theren follows suit as his other party members flee.

Theoboldi
2017-07-04, 12:46 PM
As the knights approach Xander, you quickly slink out of the room, running as quickly as your legs will carry you. You slam the door shut behind you, just as the sounds of a struggle break out in the grand hall behind you. Then, you rush down the stairs, hoping to escape this place via the stables.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170623/wvynydfo.jpg

However, you do not get very far, as when you reach the ground level, you find the end of this flight of stairs cut off by four of the spire's servants. One of them, a tall, bald-headed man wearing only light clothes and carrying no weapons stands inside the stairway, seemingly planning to block it off with only his body. The other three stand behind him, brandishing several kitchen knives and wearing thick, protective clothing.

As your group approaches the man, he seems a little taken-aback by what he is seeing, to the point that he actually lowers his guard for a moment. But it's not just the fact that Anac looks like Merosska that is keeping him. In his eyes flashes recognition.

In fact, you know this man. He is the very same air cultist monk who ambushed you on your way into the valley, and who you let walk away.

From the floor above, a blood-curling scream of pain rings out in that very moment, though at this distance you cannot tell who it is from. The bald-headed man steps back a little, though he still blocks off your path.

"What is going on here?" he asks, keeping his words to a minimum.

Armored Walrus
2017-07-04, 01:12 PM
Anac bulls forward, shouting out in his best impression of Merosska's voice, "Treachery and betrayal, that's what!", he booms. As he speaks, he lets the aura of his patron's power color his speech, hoping to over-awe these minor hirelings. "The bird man was a witch, twisting these heroes into performing evil acts. I'm giving them a chance to redeem themselves while our knights deal with the bird upstairs. Show us where you are holding the other feather-heads. These three are going to help me slay them!"

Not sure what roll this is, but here it is, at advantage due to Fey Presence [roll0] [roll1]

Theoboldi
2017-07-05, 10:46 AM
The servants, a strange awe spreading on their faces, actually step back a little from Anac, momentarily pacified. They are now out of your way to the stables.

Then, however, the bald man speaks up again.

"There is no need for that, knight-commander. We have already done as you wished and poisoned them. I personally oversaw that their treachery came to an end."

There is a genuine enthusiasm and idealism in his tone. However, after he has spoken, you already notice the awe in his expression shrinking away, Anac's Fey Presence not sustaining itself very long.

Armored Walrus
2017-07-05, 12:06 PM
Anac's step falters for a moment at the tragic news that he has lead so many members of his colony to their deaths. He very nearly drops the facade and just stand stock still, waiting to be captured.

But then his resolve firms. There's no time to grieve now, nor for vengeance. He does, however, mark the features of the feathered monk, and silently vows to be personally responsible for his death.

He then continues his forward momentum, leading the party toward the stables, and escape.

DigoDragon
2017-07-05, 12:18 PM
Rage is building in Karashi, but she can't just cut lose here. not with all those knights upstairs likely in pursuit. The party would be pincer'd and it would end in their deaths. As much as she wants to break this knight's neck, descretion is the better part of valor at the moment. She will unleash her rage when the time is right.

If some 'muscle' is needed to push the party past this impasse: STR [roll0]

Fishybugs
2017-07-05, 02:10 PM
Corbett pushes the casters along the hallway as they proceed, taking up the rear position and glancing behind them on occasion.

kladams707
2017-07-05, 03:12 PM
Theren knows there's no time to deal with the cultist obstructing their way. Anac's little charm clearly helped buy them time, but he knew it was fading fast. He continues with the rest as the party, hoping to soon find the exit.