PDA

View Full Version : Little DM needs help outside tavern...

Kaelaroth
2007-08-04, 11:36 AM
I am in a small gaming group, at the max four members at a time. We have been playing for a few years now, and we all are really enjoying the game. But... I am the youngest of the group, by a few years. It doesn't matter that much when being a PC, as I am easily smart enough to catch up with them. BUT... when DMing I find that they question everything I do, because I am younger and might get something wrong. I have brought it up, yet it still continues, partly because that approach requires a childish tantrum... which rather ruins the effect :smallfrown:

So, what can I do to make the players realise that I am just as good as them, even though I was born slightly further into the MTV generation?

Fax Celestis
2007-08-04, 11:47 AM
Stun them with your DMing prowess by taking them outside of an area where their knowledge is more than your own. Try taking them to an extraplanar location where not everything works the same--up to and including physics.

Fuum Bango
2007-08-04, 11:47 AM
Rough 'em up a bit! Give 'em a good punch.

That help? :tongue:

Kaelaroth
2007-08-04, 11:48 AM
One of them is a Judo Champion.

Though if I had a +5 Vorpal Rapier....

Dairun Cates
2007-08-04, 12:00 PM
Well, there's always the possibility of a thematic enemy encounter where you use one of those lesser used rule sets. Like master the rules for grappling, and then run them against a grappling boss. Odds are they'll be slightly confused, and it might get the point across that you know what you're doing. Any self-respecting GM should know that you're focusing on more than rules when you're GM'ing.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-04, 12:39 PM
One of them is a Judo Champion.

Though if I had a +5 Vorpal Rapier....

Vorpal rapier? Vorpal is slashing only, according to text. Rapiers are piercing. :smallbiggrin:

My method involved memorizing core rules, for the most part, though I still annoyingly screw up some things, like flat-footed vs. Denied dex to AC.

bosssmiley
2007-08-04, 07:45 PM
If playing at a low character level have your humanoids use skirmishing/guerrilla tactics appropriate to their "human equivalent" intelligence. Even something as simple as a row of longspear Hobgoblins backed up with Gob' archers and a Dirge Singer (bard) leader operating in favourable terrain (scree slopes, marsh, etc.) may give your older, more experienced players pause for thought. Google "Tucker's Kobolds" for the classic web lore example.

Also Google "Logic Ninja +Being Batman" for a how-to of wizard beastliness. If you have the $$$s spare supplement this with the Goodman Games "Power Gamer's Guides". Use the power contained therein wisely though.

These uppity grognards must be made to kneel before Zod!!!... Errr, sorry about that. :smalleek: I meant, of course, that they must learn to respect you for the knowledge, dedication, hard work and flair you bring to your GMing, regardless of your calender age. :smallwink: