PDA

View Full Version : Roy's Brother?

ragingmaro
2007-08-04, 12:41 PM
I noticed that in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html you can see another person sticking out from beside Roy's mom's chair. Has his possible sibling ever been mentioned before?

Cousinbj13
2007-08-04, 01:01 PM
Probably the little sister.

ragingmaro
2007-08-04, 01:26 PM
Yeah forgot about that. You're prolly right.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-04, 01:27 PM
This has been brought up from time to time, and remains a mystery... There is more of an age gap between Roy and Julia than the pic shows, Roy is 28, while Julia is 16, making a 12 year gap. Roy as a little boy is about 4-5, with the baby between 6 months and 14 months (the range most babies are in the crawling stage).

Sod Spoiler Roy is about 10-11 when Eugene comes back from a trip to some city, and is suprised when Roy's mother says "you should be more concerned about your children" instead of "your child." So the baby might be a younger brother, or could be someone Roy's mother was babysitting that day.

On the other hand, Rich may have not intended on such a large age gap between Julia and Roy when he drew the baby in the first place.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-04, 01:41 PM
On the other hand, Rich may have not intended on such a large age gap between Julia and Roy when he drew the baby in the first place.

I hadn't thought of that, nice observation. But regardless of what anyone says, Roy going "Yay! Thwack thwack!" is NOT eleven or twelve. I was twelve not too long ago, (few years) and not to mention that age moves slightly faster in this campaign. (42 is considered old, as we saw with the dirt farmer.)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-04, 02:03 PM
I hadn't thought of that, nice observation. But regardless of what anyone says, Roy going "Yay! Thwack thwack!" is NOT eleven or twelve. I was twelve not too long ago, (few years) and not to mention that age moves slightly faster in this campaign. (42 is considered old, as we saw with the dirt farmer.)

Uh, no. As a 42 year-old (reading webcomics, STILL playing D&D, and yes, I've long since gotten a life!) I can firmly say 42 is NOT OLD!!!

Re-read the strips. The husband and wife have been married for 42 years, so the husband is not 42 years old. Assuming he married at 20 (just to make the math easy), he is now 62 years old.

What are they teaching these kids in school these days? Why I tell ya, when I was in school, I had to walk 15 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, and I was THANKFUL! Grumble, growl...

Magioth
2007-08-04, 03:14 PM
SHUT IT OLD MAN >:)

girl mature quicker then boys :)

but seriously i think its his sister or a thief stealing eggs or what not

Oberon
2007-08-04, 03:23 PM
Uh, no. As a 42 year-old (reading webcomics, STILL playing D&D, and yes, I've long since gotten a life!)

Dude, You're 42? cool.

I hope I still play D&D and read webcomics 24 years from now... (and I guess I'll still want to have a life, too.)

factotum
2007-08-04, 04:34 PM
What are they teaching these kids in school these days? Why I tell ya, when I was in school, I had to walk 15 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways, and I was THANKFUL! Grumble, growl...

You forgot that the wind was always against you and the teachers would kill you if you were late. Of course, that had all changed in the whole 5 years between your schooldays and mine... :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2007-08-04, 04:44 PM
uphill both ways, and I was THANKFUL! Grumble, growl...[/SIZE]

Is that possible?

Forgive me if it is. I am slightly tired, tipsy, and
logic-flawed at the moment...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-04, 05:00 PM
Is that possible?

It really wasn't 15 miles each way, more like one mile, but it was uphill bothways... There was a hill between my house and the school, so I walked up one side then down the other each way.

Of course, I could have ridden the bus, but I liked the exercise.

Kaelaroth
2007-08-04, 05:07 PM
But... But.... But...

*Bursts into tears*

Arnen
2007-08-04, 05:44 PM
It's uphill both ways from my house to the school - there's a river in between, which makes the land sort of dip towards it, so my house is on a hill and so is the school. Thankfully I take the bus or ride my bike, and will be driving this year once I get my license :smallcool:

And back on-topic... it's entirely possible that Roy's got two younger siblings, and one simply wasn't important enough to be mentioned yet. Kinda reminds me of in Frankenstein - "And oh, by the way, I had another brother, and he was killed even though I only said I had one brother earlier."

RAGE KING!
2007-08-04, 06:17 PM
If your parents are divorced, and your schools on the middle of a hill, one of your parents lives at the bottom and the other at the top. the you could walk from one house to the school uphill, and then to the other house from the school uphill. Then your parents drive (or carry, as is more likely with an old man telling a story. Or maybe you sleepwalk =) lol) Then the next day you start again.

- i think theres a good chance its roys brother. has anybody done the eye-height-on-face gender analysis?

Leper_Kahn
2007-08-04, 06:56 PM
- i think theres a good chance its roys brother. has anybody done the eye-height-on-face gender analysis?

Um...

O.o

What?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-04, 07:00 PM
If your parents are divorced, and your schools on the middle of a hill, one of your parents lives at the bottom and the other at the top. the you could walk from one house to the school uphill, and then to the other house from the school uphill. Then your parents drive (or carry, as is more likely with an old man telling a story. Or maybe you sleepwalk =) lol) Then the next day you start again.

No, but now that you brought it up, I'm sure someone will.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-04, 07:36 PM
School days mini-rant contained herein:
Elementary and with my first high school, it was about 2.5 miles, elemntary uphill towards, and high flat, featureless, and hot thanks to all the asphalt and the whole souhtren california-ness.

Middle school was literally across the street.

My second high school was in Massachusets, and only about a mile away.

That being said:
Are we sure the eye-height-on-face-gender-analyisis even works on small children like that? Have there been enough babies shown in the strip to validate it?

Querzis
2007-08-04, 10:38 PM
Absolutely no family member until now were mentionned before they had some kind of importance. I mean, they are adventurers so anything that is irrevelant to the quest is not something they usually talk about. Its totally possible that Roy has a brother or another sister. Hell, he could even actually have 3 or 4 siblings and I still wouldnt see what would be so odd about it. We never even saw any of V, Belkar, Durkon or Haley relatives.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-04, 10:43 PM
Uh, no. As a 42 year-old (reading webcomics, STILL playing D&D, and yes, I've long since gotten a life!) I can firmly say 42 is NOT OLD!!!

Re-read the strips. The husband and wife have been married for 42 years, so the husband is not 42 years old. Assuming he married at 20 (just to make the math easy), he is now 62 years old.

Ah, but in a world where 15 is considered adulthood, 42 is rather... up there. I in no way meant to imply that you were old, simply that in THIS world, 42 was old. Oh, and I assumed that "of 42 years" she meant "42 years of age" but I can see where it could mean "42 years of marriage". My bad.

ragingmaro
2007-08-04, 11:08 PM
To me the person poking out from the chair looks male and doesn't look very happy. Possibly jealous of the attetion Roy is getting? When Rich puts something like that it tends to show up again. He can do a lot of planning ahead.

Arameus
2007-08-05, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
uphill both ways, and I was THANKFUL! Grumble, growl...[/size]Is that possible?

My middle school was located across an extremely unstable patch of ground form my house. When I walked there in the morning it was uphill to the school, and in the afternoon it had changed I would walk back uphill to my house.

High school was a different story. The ground was fine, but space and time were drunk and copulating on my route there, so essentially the same thing happened.

And it very well could be a proto-Julia that Rich has now retconned into the chronologically-altered Julia we know and can't stand. But the chances are just as good that it's a brother, since I really don't see why Roy shouldn't or couldn't have one. Or two. Or five, it makes no difference.

Icewalker
2007-08-05, 04:08 AM
Sod Spoiler Roy is about 10-11 when Eugene comes back from a trip to some city, and is suprised when Roy's mother says "you should be more concerned about your children" instead of "your child." So the baby might be a younger brother, or could be someone Roy's mother was babysitting that day.

She says children and it confuses Eugene because he doesn't realize she is pregnant again. 12 year gap? Roy 11 years old? It's Julia.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-05, 07:41 AM
Ah, but in a world where 15 is considered adulthood, 42 is rather... up there. I in no way meant to imply that you were old, simply that in THIS world, 42 was old. Oh, and I assumed that "of 42 years" she meant "42 years of age" but I can see where it could mean "42 years of marriage". My bad.

In "Rules as Written" D&D terms, 15 is adulthood, but not necessarily in OotSVerse. Haley had to get special permission to join the Thieves' Guild at 17, so I'm thinking people normally have to be at least 18 to enter the "adult workforce."

When I play, fighters usually begin their careers at 17 or even less (15 is pretty common), but Roy doesn't graduate from Fighter's College until he is 24. True he has an MBA, and there probably is an Associates Degree program for Warriors like there is for Sorcorers... :smallbiggrin:

I think rogues start their careers even earlier, 12 or even younger. But in the early stages rogues are self/peer taught, and not given the more "formal" education fighters, clerics or mages get.

Each game world has it's own age standard, and Rich's seems more geared towards "our" world. People younger than 18 can get jobs, but usually nothing that is a "career path" until you're older.

Holy_Knight
2007-08-05, 11:15 PM
Roy as a little boy is about 4-5, with the baby between 6 months and 14 months (the range most babies are in the crawling stage).

I'm not sure we can say Roy was 4-5 in that picture, unless there's something in SoD to indicate that. Although the "Yay" sounds a little young, I don't think it's that implausible for a 12 year old to be saying it--and I know I was still playing with wooden swords when I was twelve. In which case the baby would be Julia.

factotum
2007-08-06, 12:35 AM
His height would maybe indicate he's only 5. At that age you're around half your adult height. If you compare him to his mother (who is seated in that panel), then to how tall he is next to her standing up a couple of panels later, I think it's entirely reasonable to assume he's only half as high and therefore around 5 years of age.