PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Any class that give unrestricted bonus feats?

RoboEmperor
2017-06-14, 08:18 PM
I'm trying to optimize my epic-level character. Currently to enter Cosmic Descryer he has to wait until level 28, I'd like to make it earlier.

So are there any classes that give unrestricted bonus feats?

Feats in question are Improved Spell Capacity and Energy Resistance, both epic feats.

Necroticplague
2017-06-14, 08:19 PM
Generic Warrior and Generic Expert both do so.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-14, 08:26 PM
Generic Warrior and Generic Expert both do so.

Ty, UA is not allowed at my table at the moment, so I will have to keep looking >.<

Zephonim
2017-06-14, 08:56 PM
I'm trying to optimize my epic-level character. Currently to enter Cosmic Descryer he has to wait until level 28, I'd like to make it earlier.

So are there any classes that give unrestricted bonus feats?

Feats in question are Improved Spell Capacity and Energy Resistance, both epic feats.

Well... Technically the Chameleon PRC gives a free FLOATING bonus feat at 2nd level.

TiaC
2017-06-14, 08:57 PM
Loremaster.

Zaq
2017-06-14, 10:27 PM
Marshal, but you have to already have SF: Diplomacy. Still useful for getting feats with awkward prereqs without waiting for a divisible-by-three character level. (Underfoot Combat, I think, is the classic one?)

Waker
2017-06-14, 11:02 PM
I'd have to double check, but I believe the Savant grants bonus feats with no restrictions.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-14, 11:03 PM
Well... Technically the Chameleon PRC gives a free FLOATING bonus feat at 2nd level.

Nice, this could work. Need to rebuild my build a bit to include it, mainly because of the skill prerequisite, but not bad. Sacrifice a pre-epic feat slot for able learner.

Marshal, but you have to already have SF: Diplomacy. Still useful for getting feats with awkward prereqs without waiting for a divisible-by-three character level. (Underfoot Combat, I think, is the classic one?)

Also not bad, but can't be Marshal because I need Marshal really early in my build. I think there's a slew of classes similar to Marshal, saying if you already have the bonus feat, you can select another.

Psyren
2017-06-14, 11:04 PM
Dark Chaos Shuffle unrestricts the bonus feats from any class (or race for that matter).

Normally I wouldn't recommend cheese like that, but hey, epic.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-14, 11:31 PM
Dark Chaos Shuffle unrestricts the bonus feats from any class (or race for that matter).

Normally I wouldn't recommend cheese like that, but hey, epic.

Although he allows Epic Spellcasting, he does not allow that cheese. You can use it to respec your feats, but not bonus/class/racial feats into other feats.

I've decided. Chameleon (Skill Focus Diplomacy) -> class similar into marshal -> Bonus Feat! -> Repeat for every class like Marshal.

Now I just need a full list of classes like marshal! You know, the ones that let you select a different bonus feat if you already have the bonus feat.

Zaq
2017-06-15, 12:02 AM
I don't know too many other classes that give you an all-purpose refund on a bonus feat if you already have it, to be honest.

Nifft
2017-06-15, 12:03 AM
Human Paragon & Half-Elf Paragon.

Zaq
2017-06-15, 12:09 AM
Human Paragon & Half-Elf Paragon.

The OP said that UA is specifically banned.

Nifft
2017-06-15, 12:15 AM
The OP said that UA is specifically banned.

Ah, missed that post.

Oh well, too bad. It would be an interesting use-case for the Half-Elf race.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-15, 12:20 AM
Crap, T_T

Able Learner can only be taken at 1st level.

I need all 4 of my feats from levels 1-6 for my early entry shenanigans.

Maybe I'll switch to wizard and skip the early entry shenanigan.

>.<

Zaq
2017-06-15, 12:25 AM
Is your race set in stone? A frostblood orc or half-orc (Dragon Magic, p. 10) gains Endurance as a bonus feat, and then if they later gain Endurance as a bonus feat (which Ranger gives, if nothing else), they can take any other feat that they qualify for instead.

You probably have your race locked down, but if getting an arbitrary late-game bonus feat is that important to you, it's an option.

Necroticplague
2017-06-15, 03:45 AM
Crap, T_T

Able Learner can only be taken at 1st level.

I need all 4 of my feats from levels 1-6 for my early entry shenanigans.

Maybe I'll switch to wizard and skip the early entry shenanigan.

>.<

Have you tried selling your soul or being severely tainted?

daremetoidareyo
2017-06-15, 08:43 AM
Citadel elite from an ebberon supplement: Sharn city of double tower power. It gets an unrestricted bonus feat at level 2 and 4. Prereqs are bab+7 and lawful alignment and 3 ranks in 2 skills

RoboEmperor
2017-06-15, 09:15 AM
Have you tried selling your soul or being severely tainted?

Yes, DM did not like it, so Pact Insidious is out.

I am working very hard right now to use Chameleon. I can do it, I just needs to switch my class to wizard to free up feats.

Morcleon
2017-06-15, 11:10 AM
Make an Epic Spell that instantaneously (not permanently) grants you a feat.

Tiri
2017-06-15, 11:16 AM
Make an Epic Spell that instantaneously (not permanently) grants you a feat.

That's not a class, though.

Psyren
2017-06-15, 11:18 AM

Something something class that does that.

Morcleon
2017-06-15, 11:35 AM

Wizard 21? :smalltongue:

remetagross
2017-06-15, 11:41 AM
Rogue at 10, 13, 16 and 19 too.

Tiri
2017-06-15, 11:41 AM
Wizard 21? :smalltongue:

Well, still not a class, since Cleric 21, Druid 21 and so on can all do it. It's not class-specific.

Morcleon
2017-06-15, 11:50 AM
Well, still not a class, since Cleric 21, Druid 21 and so on can all do it. It's not class-specific.

I mean, it's a class that can do it. Just like unrestricted bonus feats aren't a class-specific thing (though most of those that give them are banned for OP's purposes).

Tiri
2017-06-15, 11:55 AM
I mean, it's a class that can do it. Just like unrestricted bonus feats aren't a class-specific thing (though most of those that give them are banned for OP's purposes).

True, but bonus feats are a class feature (if they come from a class). Epic Spells are not.

Kitsuneymg
2017-06-15, 11:57 AM
IIRC, the savant gets bonus feats at 2 and every 5 levels. It's a fairly crap class though.

The Viscount
2017-06-15, 01:41 PM
I'd have to double check, but I believe the Savant grants bonus feats with no restrictions.

IIRC, the savant gets bonus feats at 2 and every 5 levels. It's a fairly crap class though.

This is true, there's no restriction. It doesn't mention whether you have to qualify for them, so I think that means it default to you having to qualify for them, but I could be wrong about that bit. It's not a great class, basically prototype factotum that has constant a little bit of everything instead of activated uses of other things, but there are uses.

Gildedragon
2017-06-15, 02:06 PM
Are any of your current feats offloadable to items or "gp" via locations like the Otyurgh Hole?

Gruftzwerg
2017-06-15, 02:24 PM
Void Disciple 4 can give you temporary a feat, if that does help?

RoboEmperor
2017-06-15, 02:48 PM
Thx everyone, got the Chameleon working. I only use Epic Spellcasting for out-of-combat spells, so I just grab Improved Spell Capacity at level 21, alternate between Epic Spellcasting and Energy Resistance with the Chameleon Bonus Feat, and enter Cosmic Descryer at level 22, temporarily losing the benefits of this PrC (depending on how you rule it) when I want Epic Spells.

Goaty14
2017-06-18, 09:14 AM
If you manage a similar effect, the Master of Many Forms (CA) can turn into a human at level 10 (somebody made a MoMF handbook and thats where I got that) and therefore gain the human's bonus feat, maybe make an epic level polymorph that produces a similar effect.

logic_error
2017-06-18, 09:36 AM
I know this is not what you meant, but Wizard X gives you access to unrestricted feats as spells are exactly that and more. The clincher is that the feats are short duration without proper investment.