PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I have no Idea what I'm doing

Naez
2017-06-14, 08:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kNGKIvW.jpg

Was looking into pathfinder play by posts since they seem to be more common than 3.5. One I was interested in said only Paizo material. I have no idea what is and isn't paizo for pathfinder as most sites I've found combine dreamscarred press and paizo material without clearly labeling it. And I'm not sure what class to play or the differences between 3.5 and Pathfinder.

prototype00
2017-06-14, 08:40 PM
What do you want your character to do? Keep in mind that specificity will probably make for a better character.

The pfd20SRD is probably a good resource, and clearly delineated Paizo and 3rd party sources.

Zephonim
2017-06-14, 08:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kNGKIvW.jpg

Was looking into pathfinder play by posts since they seem to be more common than 3.5. One I was interested in said only Paizo material. I have no idea what is and isn't paizo for pathfinder as most sites I've found combine dreamscarred press and paizo material without clearly labeling it. And I'm not sure what class to play or the differences between 3.5 and Pathfinder.

Archives of Nethys has paizo only content. D20pfsrd says if it's 3rd party.

Naez
2017-06-14, 08:55 PM
What do you want your character to do? Keep in mind that specificity will probably make for a better character.

The pfd20SRD is probably a good resource, and clearly delineated Paizo and 3rd party sources.

Something simple but effective, with a bit of a gish feel to it like a 3.5 warlock.

prototype00
2017-06-14, 09:10 PM
Something simple but effective, with a bit of a gish feel to it like a 3.5 warlock.

Hmm, from what I recall the following were good to great Gish single class choices (though I kinda tapered off pathfinder around Unchained)

Inquisitor - Divine casting Damage dealer
War priest - Tankier version of the above
Alchemist - The Vivisectionist in particular a kind of mad scientist style self-buffer
Druids - of course
Summoner - Specifically the one where you summon your own powersuit, the Synthesist.
Clerics

Sayt
2017-06-14, 09:13 PM
If you're using the PFSRD, at the bottom of each page it has a book citation, which will tell you who published it.

The Pathfinder Reference Document has Pathfinder only material, bUT not all of it, mostly the hardcover books.

Naez
2017-06-14, 09:50 PM
Hmm, from what I recall the following were good to great Gish single class choices (though I kinda tapered off pathfinder around Unchained)

Inquisitor - Divine casting Damage dealer
War priest - Tankier version of the above
Alchemist - The Vivisectionist in particular a kind of mad scientist style self-buffer
Druids - of course
Summoner - Specifically the one where you summon your own powersuit, the Synthesist.
Clerics

I'm really liking the Synthesist

prototype00
2017-06-14, 09:57 PM
I'm really liking the Synthesist

Oh yeah, that's a good one. So good they banned it from organised play.

eldskald
2017-06-14, 10:40 PM
They made a base class just for the gish. It's called Magus. It's basically Eldritch Knight from 3.5, except it's a base class. Of course, Eldritch Knight is still present, and harder to build. And for your sources, you can use d20pfsrd.com as people already mentioned. There's also archivesofnethys.com, with more up to date content.

stanprollyright
2017-06-14, 11:00 PM
They made a base class just for the gish. It's called Magus. It's basically Eldritch Knight from 3.5, except it's a base class. Of course, Eldritch Knight is still present, and harder to build. And for your sources, you can use d20pfsrd.com as people already mentioned. There's also archivesofnethys.com, with more up to date content.

More like a Duskblade than anything. Channelled touch spells, 6th level casting. I miss the full BAB.

Kurald Galain
2017-06-15, 01:14 AM

So the first question is, what kind of character do you want to play? We can give better advice if you tell us that. Also, what level?

Florian
2017-06-15, 01:18 AM

Try to use this site: http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Default.aspx or use the official PRD: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

You canīt go wrong there.

Ellrin
2017-06-15, 02:16 AM
I'm relatively new to it myself, but Pathfinder seems very gish-focused. Just about every partial caster can be built into a pretty good gish, and there are plenty of partial casters, from the psychic-implement-focused occultist to the alchemical investigator to the barbarian+casting bloodrager. Even some full casters--mostly the divine classes--can be built into powerful frontliners.

Psyren
2017-06-15, 09:47 AM
Try to use this site: http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Default.aspx or use the official PRD: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

You canīt go wrong there.

This. Identifying 3rd-party on the PFSRD is not hard at all, but if you are having difficulty with it, use these sites instead.

Tuvarkz
2017-06-16, 04:06 AM
Oh yeah, that's a good one. So good they banned it from organised play.

Or rather, so good for the average optimization/mechanics knowledge of the average PFS player that they banned it from play. Actual knowledge of the mechanics quickly reveals that Synthesist Summoner is weaker than normal Summoner due to the action economy loss.

Oddman80
2017-06-22, 12:59 PM
How has nobody mentioned Kineticist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/kineticist/) when the OP mentioned he wanted a class like the Warlock?
Even crazier, how has nobody mentioned Vigilante Warlock (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/warlock/)?

Malroth
2017-06-22, 02:00 PM
Because Neither is like the 3.5 Warlock in any but the most superficial way.

Oddman80
2017-06-22, 04:54 PM

The utility wild talents and form infusions of the Kineticist are very similar to the invocations of the 3.5 warlock. The all-day, every day ability to shoot touch-based energy blasts or a variety of physical blasts - both of which scale nicely with leveling is quite similar to the Warlock's Eldritch Blasts. While the Kineticist is not charisma-based (and therefore less likely than a 3.5 warlock to be the party face) their con-based nature makes them incredibly hardy.

Other than the class abilities that grant DR, at-will Detect Magic, and the ability to take 10 on UMD, the rest of the Warlock's class abilities can be rather closely mirrored based on which type of Kineticist you pick, and which wild talents you pick.

The Vigilante Warlock has the charisma of the 3.5 Warlock. It also gets all-day blasting (though notably weaker damage), though instead of getting a single blast per round, it gets 7 attacks/round through two weapon fighting feats, rapid shot & itteratives. It trades a really small number of at-will utility abilities the 3.5 Warlock got via invocations for a wider variety of limited use spell-casting abilities.

Arutema
2017-06-25, 12:53 AM
Other than the class abilities that grant DR, at-will Detect Magic, and the ability to take 10 on UMD, the rest of the Warlock's class abilities can be rather closely mirrored based on which type of Kineticist you pick, and which wild talents you pick.

Being locked to one element's talents till level 7, and 2 till level 14 really hurts variety compared to the warlock picking any invocation he wants. Many will say this keeps the kineticist from being a proper successor to the warlock.

Also the burn/elemental overflow system is an annoying level of fiddly math, even for experienced players.

Kurald Galain
2017-06-25, 09:40 AM

Yes, that. The PF sorcerer is a closer match to the 3.5 warlock than the kinny is.