PDA

View Full Version : Monastery Quests?

Armored Walrus
2017-06-14, 08:31 PM
Edit: Maybe I need to make this more generic. What's a quest a monk's monastery might send him on?

Ok, this may be asking for a very coincidental cross-section of similarity, but I'm running a campaign set in the Toxic Seas setting, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?503122-Let-s-build-another-setting!-(Toxic-Seas)). One of the party members is a Strongbreath monk, and he didn't give me a lot to work with in his background at chargen, but now is asking to visit the local monastery and check in. I figured I'd use it to give him a hook to want to go to Coruvan with the rest of the group. Coruvan is the town in The Challenge of the Frog Idol (https://rpgcharacters.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/dyson-logos-challenge-of-the-frog-idol.pdf) adventure from Labyrinth Lords. I've managed to give everyone else a reason to go there, but wracking my brain to figure out what the monastery might want him to accomplish or investigate or retrieve there.

any thoughts?

Basement Cat
2017-06-15, 02:28 AM
Monks are as easily directed as other religious types like clerics and paladins and druids.

Visions are handy--"We the Masters of the Temple have felt a disturbance in the Force. You chosen few must go forth and investigate what it was." So your PC is one of a handful of investigators and he turns out to find the problem...or does he? This beginning can provide hooks for later adventures, obviously, such as when the monks meet up later to confer with each other. "Uh, guys, I don't know if the Masters were talking about this rupture to the Feywild but it's getting worse every day."

Relic recovery: "The sacred clipped toenails of Grand Master Phat Gui are hidden in a secret compartment of the statue in the main square of the undead haunted City of Kommanddi. Go and fetch 'em!"

Blatant lies: "Uh, so, Novice Klutz, we've decided to, um...reward you...with the sacred holy quest of "The Walkabout".

That last one always reminds me of the clumsy but adorably sweet Linu La'neral from Neverwinter Nights. To this day she's one of my most favorite NPC's in entertainment. :smallsmile:

lunaticfringe
2017-06-15, 05:26 AM
A traitor has stolen our Sacred Technique Scroll and fled there.

A Wash Out is teaching our Sacred Techniques to monsters/the unclean.

A highly respected member of the Order sent a cryptic message and vanished, last seen...

Armored Walrus
2017-06-15, 07:29 AM
A traitor has stolen our Sacred Technique Scroll and fled there.

A Wash Out is teaching our Sacred Techniques to monsters/the unclean.

A highly respected member of the Order sent a cryptic message and vanished, last seen...

Ah, I think I like that second one. One of the lizard folk in the swamp is operating an unsanctioned school of martial arts.

Any other ideas?