PDA

View Full Version : Odin the Seer character

Nemenia
2017-06-15, 12:45 AM
So I was reading a different thread and had a really fun idea. I want to make an Odin type character that has least 6 levels in raven queen lock with pact of the chain so he can have the sentinel raven and imp raven.

I want this character to be heavily focused on information and maybe some leadership or manipulation. What would be good to make this character really come off odin-like?

I was thinking maybe divination wizard or eldritch fighter, but I wasn't sure so I was hoping maybe you guys had some cool ideas. Should I do an entirely different class? Take more levels in warlock? Open to suggestions.

djreynolds
2017-06-15, 12:48 AM
So I was reading a different thread and had a really fun idea. I want to make an Odin type character that has least 6 levels in raven queen lock with pact of the chain so he can have the sentinel raven and imp raven.

I want this character to be heavily focused on information and maybe some leadership or manipulation. What would be good to make this character really come off odin-like?

I was thinking maybe divination wizard or eldritch fighter, but I wasn't sure so I was hoping maybe you guys had some cool ideas. Should I do an entirely different class? Take more levels in warlock? Open to suggestions.

Warlock and bard go well together

Corran
2017-06-15, 01:25 AM
I will be playing a very similar themed character starting next month (singleclass divination wizard, Raven Queen is all over my backstory and her influence is prevalent in my character's actions, but I digress).

One of the things I am aiming to do, is to use good portent rolls for persuasion(& intimidation) checks. Now, the DM is very permissive and he doesnt have a problem at my idea, so here it is, in case you like it and your DM will let you do it:

Say I have a portent roll of 17, and my persuasion bonus is +3. Before I roleplay my social check, I decide if I will use my pertent roll for it. If I aim to use it, I ask the DM, ''does a 20 guarantee success?''. If the DM is not sure and would like me to play it out, I roleplay it and I still get to use the portent roll, then the DM decides on the outcome. But if the DM is positive that my 20 total is enough to persuade/intimidate the NPC(s), then my character tells them something about their past, like a small little secret or a sweet long forgotten memory of theirs, and of they ask ''how could you know that?'', my character will reply in a spooky/enigmatic/cant-find-the-right-adjective voice ''the canary....'' (he has a canary familiar). You could say ''the ravens...'' (insinuating that they talk to you; make them caw before you announce that; pretend you are listening to them; heck, if the DM agrees you could have it be true even, ie that they ''talk'' to you).

But not every DM would allow something like this, so check with yours if you like the idea enough.
Idea stolen from this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkIIvApmok&t=311s (0:37)

Nemenia
2017-06-15, 10:03 AM
I will be playing a very similar themed character starting next month (singleclass divination wizard, Raven Queen is all over my backstory and her influence is prevalent in my character's actions, but I digress).

One of the things I am aiming to do, is to use good portent rolls for persuasion(& intimidation) checks. Now, the DM is very permissive and he doesnt have a problem at my idea, so here it is, in case you like it and your DM will let you do it:

Say I have a portent roll of 17, and my persuasion bonus is +3. Before I roleplay my social check, I decide if I will use my pertent roll for it. If I aim to use it, I ask the DM, ''does a 20 guarantee success?''. If the DM is not sure and would like me to play it out, I roleplay it and I still get to use the portent roll, then the DM decides on the outcome. But if the DM is positive that my 20 total is enough to persuade/intimidate the NPC(s), then my character tells them something about their past, like a small little secret or a sweet long forgotten memory of theirs, and of they ask ''how could you know that?'', my character will reply in a spooky/enigmatic/cant-find-the-right-adjective voice ''the canary....'' (he has a canary familiar). You could say ''the ravens...'' (insinuating that they talk to you; make them caw before you announce that; pretend you are listening to them; heck, if the DM agrees you could have it be true even, ie that they ''talk'' to you).

But not every DM would allow something like this, so check with yours if you like the idea enough.
Idea stolen from this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkIIvApmok&t=311s (0:37)

That's a really cool idea though! Do you just lean in and say that you said something from their past, or do you just come up with something on the spot? That sounds like an awesome way to use them for information though. Thanks for the video!

Nemenia
2017-06-15, 10:07 AM
Warlock and bard go well together

Explain how if possible?

Vaz
2017-06-15, 10:58 AM
Charisma, synergy, really.

Honestly, they don't do anything special you'd not want either more Warlock or more Bard for.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-15, 12:20 PM
College of Whispers Bard seems like exactly what you are looking for.

Zonugal
2017-06-15, 12:22 PM
While a typical idea of Odin these days is an old, sage-like wizard, in the mythology he really is a lot like a Bard.

He uses a lot of trickery and guile to solve his problems.

So while Wizard might seem like an attractive option, I'd say a Bard would end up being a better fit (and if you grab Find Familiar you can even get a raven!).

GlenSmash!
2017-06-15, 01:29 PM
While a typical idea of Odin these days is an old, sage-like wizard, in the mythology he really is a lot like a Bard.

He uses a lot of trickery and guile to solve his problems.

So while Wizard might seem like an attractive option, I'd say a Bard would end up being a better fit (and if you grab Find Familiar you can even get a raven!).

The OP is already getting two Ravens from Warlock. One from pact of the Chain, and One form the Raven Queen Patron.

I actually had the same thought as soon as i read the Raven Queen UA.

djreynolds
2017-06-15, 11:50 PM
Explain how if possible?

Well both are full casters and bard, especially lore, can grab the "certain" spells you want to be this all knowing leader.

Warlock will give you the "punch" you need for combat.

Perhaps there is a wizard or cleric spell you want... bard grants this.

Jack of all trades, and 4 skills with expertise, guidance cantrip, makes your skill prowess seem magical

And of course inspiration

And all you need is charisma

Vaz
2017-06-16, 11:12 AM
Well both are full casters and bard, especially lore, can grab the "certain" spells you want to be this all knowing leader.

Warlock will give you the "punch" you need for combat.

Perhaps there is a wizard or cleric spell you want... bard grants this.

Jack of all trades, and 4 skills with expertise, guidance cantrip, makes your skill prowess seem magical

And of course inspiration

And all you need is charisma

In reality, you delay your ability to do Bard stuff or Warlock stuff, unless you just take Warlock 2 for EB spam. And that's hardly Warlock and Bard going well together, and more that Warlock EB spam can be added on to many builds. TBH, a Bard gets less out of it than many others do, because they get access to EB without the need to take Warlock anyway. Sure, they don't get to Agonizing Blast or Repelling Blast, but Bard's have so much more from another advancing another 2 levels, it would be pretty daft to delay for that.

djreynolds
2017-06-16, 09:58 PM
It is tough to make a "god"

But for real manipulator type, bard and warlock would add lots of pieces to accomplish this.

I personally wouldn't be leaning on EB.

I might take rave queen warlock to 6th level or so, and grab 14 of bard and really here I like valor bard just for flavor.

Saiga
2017-06-17, 03:31 AM
To really make Odin...

Ravenlock 6/Bard X. Pact of the Blade, creating a Spear. College of Valor gives you a shield and medium armour, close to what he was depicted as wearing. Magical Secrets lets you pick up Find Familiar and Conjure Animals, which lets you summon Odin's two wolves (as Dire Wolves).

It probably won't be that strong, however. You could be more effective as a spellcaster build, Shillelagh with a quarterstaff refluffed as a wooden spear.