PDA

View Full Version : Character optimization (rogue sniper)

Sleepypeet
2017-06-15, 01:01 AM
Hey guys this is my first time playing rogue and i want to start off saying there are some rules here at play that are not by book. I will try to mention the ones that pertain to my character.

Right now our DM is asking us to plan to level 40!!! we are right now level 6 and i am currently a Sniper rogue. Our main quest is to find and capture GODS. I need help getting my character up in combat capabilities because i dont feel on par. Right now my DM is allowing me to use SNIPE (full round steath/attack at same time to get flat footed on successful sneak) so i can get sneak attack dmg. Im also allowed to stack rapid and many shot (additional shot feats) with this move. Seems pretty strong right? Well we have others in the party doing 30-50 points of dmg. I know im doing OK damage but i kind of want a bit more. So far my sneak ability is fine. i succeed on that front most of the time. Its usually my chance to hit that is lacking. So even tho these enemies are flat footed because im stealthed i still cannot hit them.

Right now my stats are all above 20 ( magical ring gives me 5 all stats) so im not worried there. I mostly want to get a good feat and combat trick progression list. I understand that my DMG is mostly going to be off my weapon and magical arrows and stuff but like i said ive never played rogue before. Items will come in the game and i cant really plan for those as per the quest were going to be getting "god killing weapons". Armor i can maybe manage to get or have crafted.

Please help in making my Sneaky Rogue sniper better.

Menzath
2017-06-15, 03:01 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?284283-Piggy-Knowles-Archer-Build-Thread

piggys archery thread

As with everyone looking for help on archery I must always reference this thread for amazing advice, and also the thread itself has links to other threads for an added bonus😉.

As for your build in particular and fighting against gods, I would recommend finding a type of poison that even works on deities(I know there are a ton in myths, not so sure about DND), spells or weapon qualities that stop regeneration/fast healing, a hide/move silent total of over 120 by level 25-30, and hide in plain site with dark stalker.

Yes damage is going be super useful early on, the post I linked should help you with getting that higher. But higher level of play you'll most likely need to focus on never being found, and ways to make dealing with epic monsters and God's easier for the party.

Sleepypeet
2017-06-15, 10:34 PM
That is a pretty awesome thread. I do agree getting sneaky against blindsight scent etc is really important. After game tonight i noticed my attack rolls are relatively low. My damage has been beefed up a bit and is now on par with the rest of the party. Time to fix my hit chance. I currently have a +12 but then rapid shot is down to +10's. These monsters even flat footed are comming at us with 30+ AC's. We still eventually kill them but im not sure what to get to increase my to hit dice. All i really have as of now is weapon focus. Any recommendations? (also saw alot of feats that add more sneak attack dice. Thoughts on those?)

Menzath
2017-06-16, 12:25 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?269705-Toxophilite-The-Archery-Handbook

Happened to find another useful thread to post while I am at it.

So for upping your attack rating as a rogue... Either carry a staff of divine power or have a backup brilliant energy bow if no one can cast either on you.

Although both would be sweet.
Not much else besides knowledge devotion, which does not increase BaB.

Sleepypeet
2017-06-16, 06:26 PM
Ok thank you. Those threads have helped me alOT!!!