PDA

View Full Version : Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Pages : 1 [2]

Thurbane
2017-07-20, 03:00 AM
Time for the final reveal:

Build
Competitor
Scoring
Current Position

Ebbeth Unyak
Aka-chan
1st

Ulgaal, the Planar Corsair
Korahir
2nd

Old Tommy Rawhead
Deadline
3rd

The Bookthief
Jormengand
4th/5th

Colsonaes, the Hunted Daughter, Bane of the Tel'Quessir
Buufreak
4th/5th

Daggadol
InvisibleBison
6th/7th

Thrashk Deadeyes, the Albatross
The Viscount
6th/7th

The Sea Dirge
Hackulator
8th

Tadashi Shirahama, "The Wave Man"
Telonius
9th

Cilawar
Tiri
10th

Kyra the Taker
Jormengand
11th

Congrats to all, especially the place-getters! 4-way tie for HM (Sea Dirge got an HM by PM)!

On that note, I'd like to announce that I'm standing down (possibly temporarily) as chair for the Villainous Competition.

Main reason being as much as I'm happy to chair, I also want to compete, dammit! :smallsmile:

The various trolls (and I'm still not convinced there is more than one) may consider this a "victory" of some sort. All I can say is Novolin (aka Prasit), Ywvbevlin, Yklikt and the other accounts I have an eye on: if ruining people's enjoyment and trying to sabotage a "just for fun" internet competition is how you get your kicks, I actually pity you. :smallfrown:

Inevitability will be taking the position, at the very least for the next comp. I wish him much luck, and I'm genuinely stoked to be able to compete again! :smallbiggrin:

danielxcutter
2017-07-20, 03:10 AM
Well, I guess I'd want to be a participant too if I'd been chair so long. I understand, Thurbane, and I welcome our new Supreme Chancellor Inevitablity!

Tiri
2017-07-20, 03:10 AM
Congratulations to all the medalists on winning and to Thurbane on being back as a competitor!

You certainly deserve the break after being our longest-serving chairman. Change is exciting.

However, I just need to point one thing out.

Inevatability

Welcome, New Chairman Inevatability! Your ascension was inevatable.

danielxcutter
2017-07-20, 03:12 AM
Looks like I'm not the only one to catch that... :smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2017-07-20, 03:47 AM
C'mon, give "the one formerly known as Dirge Stirge" a break!:smalltongue:

Congrats to our participants, especially the awardees!

Jormengand
2017-07-20, 07:32 AM
Double honourable mention aww yiss. Also my power to score really low while getting HM is legendary. :smalltongue:

I for one welcome our new inevitable overlords. (Just kidding; I'm chaotic. >.>)

Venger
2017-07-20, 08:48 AM
Can't wait to see what you come up with for your next dish, Thurbane.

Deadline
2017-07-20, 10:15 AM
Why is Thurbane bullying yklikt now? And I am not a troll

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder721/74152721.jpg

Buufreak
2017-07-20, 10:39 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder721/74152721.jpg

Rofl.

Inevitably
Way to go, ds! And can't wait to see what Thurbane can toss into the mix.

Telonius
2017-07-20, 10:54 AM
Woo! Thanks for the judging! I knew this was going to be a low-scoring round for me. But making something actually semi-playable that has 4 levels of Samurai and Monk was totally worth it. :smallbiggrin:

Hackulator
2017-07-20, 11:26 AM
I didn't see Yklikt trolling, not sure where that accusation comes from?

In my heart, I won this, because if my score hadn't been changed after a PM that broke the rules, my score would be highest. :smalltongue:

Tiri
2017-07-20, 11:37 AM

In my heart, I won this, because if my score hadn't been changed after a PM that broke the rules, my score would be highest. :smalltongue:

Some people interpreted an earlier incident with Yklikt about some rules as trolling. It looked more like he was just being stupid to me, but given recent history, it's understandable why they'd think that.

Congratulations on the Honorable Mention and the 'win'.

GrayDeath
2017-07-20, 11:53 AM
Wll, sadly Iw as away from the INet for almost 2 days (curse not being able to get in at work), my HM would have gone to the Book Thief as well, sadly it wont count.

I am honestly saddened that only my judging got completed, I always like it if there is a tourough exchange of different opinions in competitions such as this.

As for Thurbane leaving the Chair: Sad but foreseeable, seeing how many trolls trolled him and the Competition. let me say that I valued your cairing tremendously, and am sad to see you go...although the replacement was of course Inevetible.^^

Lets hope you have more fun with actually competing. :D

As for the last dispute regardin Cilawar: sorry, I would have answered if I had been on. Sadly I wasnt. In case you were wondering: The new points raised were , unless they ere clarifications or the as I admitted underrated Dungeon lord part, not considered.
I understand that that can be frustrating (happened to me as well in my only finished comp^^), but if one starts to judge later Info/new stuff not in the original Entry, there will never be an end to it.
I do hope you can accept that. :)

Edit: as for Sea Dirge: I did not read any judgings or disputes and did not receive any PM prior to my first judging (but afterwards, and I would also ask people not to do this!). Sadly for you I once wanted to build something similar and gave it up do to having to jump through too many loops to get it intelligent, so ...yeah. My Rules Knowledge is not the largest here, but unluckily for you you got a "mistake" in that I made myself once. Sucks.

Tiri
2017-07-20, 12:00 PM
GrayDeath, you did actually miss some stuff, and you're still not getting it, but let's just agree to disagree on that one. The competition is over for this round.

I am also against introducing new material in disputes, but I really don't think that's what I did.

I'll just judge the next round you compete in and penalise you unreasonably in revenge.

Hackulator
2017-07-20, 12:10 PM
Edit: as for Sea Dirge: I did not read any judgings or disputes and did not receive any PM prior to my first judging (but afterwards, and I would also ask people not to do this!). Sadly for you I once wanted to build something similar and gave it up do to having to jump through too many loops to get it intelligent, so ...yeah. My Rules Knowledge is not the largest here, but unluckily for you you got a "mistake" in that I made myself once. Sucks.

Yeah no worries I wasn't talking about you at all. Ykiklit originally had me at a 19 til someone PMed him that there was no way for my monster to have an intelligence, which was wrong. So the person broke the rules to PM him AND was wrong, however he still ended up lowering my score cause reasons.

Korahir
2017-07-20, 12:20 PM
Silver once again, seems like gold isn't for me :P. Congrats to everyone.

Deadline
2017-07-20, 12:39 PM

It may be more about them having a remarkably similar posting style to Novolin/Ywvbevlin, leading to the suspicion that they are part of a sock-puppet hydra (as it would seem many of the previous trolls may be).

That said, thank you Yklikt on attempting to judge. I think what judging you did finish was decent and well-explained. I hope to see you finish a judging in the future. I can totally understand Real Life taking its toll.

Edit - Congrats to Aka-chan, Korahir, and all the HM winners this round. There were some awesome entries this go around. Hackulator, I really liked the Sea Dirge (it got my HM vote), and will likely work up a pre-epic version (using either animate + permanency + awaken, or just Haunt Shift) to use in a future campaign.

Hackulator
2017-07-20, 12:59 PM
It may be more about them having a remarkably similar posting style to Novolin/Ywvbevlin, leading to the suspicion that they are part of a sock-puppet hydra (as it would seem many of the previous trolls may be).

That said, thank you Yklikt on attempting to judge. I think what judging you did finish was decent and well-explained. I hope to see you finish a judging in the future. I can totally understand Real Life taking its toll.

Edit - Congrats to Aka-chan, Korahir, and all the HM winners this round. There were some awesome entries this go around. Hackulator, I really liked the Sea Dirge (it got my HM vote), and will likely work up a pre-epic version (using either animate + permanency + awaken, or just Haunt Shift) to use in a future campaign.

Before I discovered the Life Seed, I was trying to do some serious RAW backflips in order to create that monster. Remember, nothing in your campaign has to be epic for the Sea Dirge to exist, the person who created it can have been dead for a thousand years.

However, if you want to try to make it work without epic spells, this is how:

The original Sea Dirge concept was a ship with it's hull shaped to look like a human man on some sort of torture device, for reasons that will become clear. The figurehead was the wailing head of the tortured man.

Take that ship and cast polymorph any object on it to polymorph it into an animated version of itself. Depending on rulings this gives you a permanently animated ship because your duration factor gets above 9. There may be other ways to do this, but I found the Life Seed and stopped looking.

Cast Awaken Construct on the ship. Because the ship is shaped like a tortured man, it is arguably a "Humanoid-Shaped" Construct it can be a target for that spell. Alternately, simply use the pathfinder version of the spell which does not have that restriction.

There might be better/more elegant ways to do it without epic magic, but for a DM creating a monster, the Epic Magic is the way to go.

Thurbane
2017-07-20, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I'm just not engaging any of the trolls/suspected trolls any more, and I have them on my ignore list.

FWIW, aside from what happened publicly in the thread, I received multiple PM complaints about the behavior (past and present) of Yklikt.

Tiri
2017-07-20, 05:42 PM
Are we still going with whatever you decided for next round, Thurbane, or is that up to Inevitability now?

I mean, I would normally assume it was up to the new Chariman, but since you said you had the theme locked in...

Aka-chan
2017-07-20, 05:49 PM
Holy crap, I was not expecting first place! Thank you to the judges and to Thurbane for hosting/chairing the competition. (Thurbane, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as a competitor.)

...You know, it would be kind of amusing to immediately follow up a Pirates round with a Ninjas round.

GrayDeath
2017-07-20, 06:59 PM
Impossible unless we take a narutoesk definition of Ninja (ergo sorcerer-likes calling themselves ninjas, often but not always, s Gishes^^).
Sadly the class sucks badly enough that I've never even played one.... :(

ben-zayb
2017-07-20, 08:11 PM
Silver once again, seems like gold isn't for me :P. Congrats to everyone.
It took me four tries to get the gold. I'm confident you'll get it soon!:smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2017-07-20, 09:08 PM
Are we still going with whatever you decided for next round, Thurbane, or is that up to Inevitability now?

I mean, I would normally assume it was up to the new Chariman, but since you said you had the theme locked in...

Yep, I've left it in his capable hands, so it will be his call.

Holy crap, I was not expecting first place! Thank you to the judges and to Thurbane for hosting/chairing the competition. (Thurbane, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with as a competitor.)

Cheers. :smallsmile:

...You know, it would be kind of amusing to immediately follow up a Pirates round with a Ninjas round.

Impossible unless we take a narutoesk definition of Ninja (ergo sorcerer-likes calling themselves ninjas, often but not always, s Gishes^^).
Sadly the class sucks badly enough that I've never even played one.... :(

Yes, may require a bit of clarification on what makes a Ninja: there's the historical ninja, anime ninja, D&D ninja and a multitude of others.

...but I definitely think a Ninja round would be interesting!

Inevitability
2017-07-20, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! As has been said, I'll be your new chair.

With regards to the next round, I was considering the aforementioned multiheaded idea. A ninja round sounds fun as well, though I agree that some general restrictions on what's still a 'ninja' should be written up.

Hackulator
2017-07-20, 11:45 PM

With regards to the next round, I was considering the aforementioned multiheaded idea. A ninja round sounds fun as well, though I agree that some general restrictions on what's still a 'ninja' should be written up.

On one hand I really like the multiheaded idea, on the other hand I feel like it might be limited in terms of what you can make where the multiheaded aspect is important as opposed to just something extraneous to the build stuck on so it fits the requirement.

I could be totally wrong though, I might just be tunnel visioning cause I already know what I'll do for a multiheaded entry.

danielxcutter
2017-07-20, 11:50 PM

I was pushing for multiheaded to be the next one specifically. It's the 22nd, after all. Two 2s. :smallcool:

Korahir
2017-07-21, 01:14 AM
It took me four tries to get the gold. I'm confident you'll get it soon!:smallbiggrin:

Not sure about VC but with Iron Chef together I am way beyond four submissions ;). Most of the time it is my own fault: laziness in the write up leads to not fleshing out the entry enough but that's the beatuiful thing about these silly internet contests: they motivate me to do better but I don't feel down when I created something awful and I think everyone who participated 10+ times already made the experience of reading judging, looking at the own entry and the nrealize: yeah, that's a screwup, that's totally dysfunctinoal.

I would be fine with either theme. I would base the Ninja theme on both he historic ninja (as little as we know about it) and the fictional ninja (From Naruto, to American Ninja Warrior to Batman Begins). Astoundingly the german wiki has a more detailed list of skills a historic ninja had to learn than the english one. Here it is translated:

Taijutsu, Hichō-jutsu, Nawa-nage (body control, control over attacks, throwing ropes)
Karate Koppō Taijutsu, Jūtaijutsu (unarmed techniques, throwing techniques)
Sō-jutsu, Naginata-jutsu (spear and japanese hellebarde)
Bō-jutsu, Jō-jutsu, Hanbō-jutsu (Staff and stick techniques)
Senban-nage, Ken-nage-jutsu, Shuriken (throwing weapons)
Ka-jutsu, Sui-jutsu (Using fire and water)
Chikujō Gunryaku Hyōhō (fortress building and strategy)
Onshin-jutsu (hide and camouflage)

Based on that list and the wishes for more restrictions, here are some suggestions regarding restrictions for the ninja theme:

must have either maxed skill ranks or 15+ ranks or 20+ total modifier in one of the following: hide+move silently, disguise, disable device, craft (poison), craft (traps), .
must be proficient with a ninja weapon [Complete Adventurer]
must be of chaotic alignment

Tiri
2017-07-21, 01:17 AM
I'm not terribly enthused for Multiheaded, but like Ooze, I think it's one of those things we should just get out of the way so people won't be suggesting it forever. Besides, it has some potential and round Twenty-Two is a good time for such a theme.

Ninja, in my opinion, should wait a while, as we just had a more 'occupational' round in the form of Pirate.

danielxcutter
2017-07-21, 01:18 AM
Wait, do ninjas have to be chaotic? Shadow Sun Ninja builds are usually LG.

Korahir
2017-07-21, 01:46 AM
Wait, do ninjas have to be chaotic? Shadow Sun Ninja builds are usually LG.

Just a suggestion on my part since more restrictions were wished for. I think Ninjas tend to be chaotic in nature although one could claim that the historic ones simply did what their ruler asked of them.

Tiri
2017-07-21, 01:52 AM
Multiheaded is also better if we want more restrictions; at least one absolute condition immediately presents itself, as opposed to ninja, which as a concept is quite broad and fits better in a less-restricted round.

The Viscount
2017-07-21, 11:38 AM
Good round everyone! Glad someone liked my comedy build. A big thank you to Thurbane for your service as our Chair. I look forward to seeing your contributions as a competitor. Welcome to our new chair, here's to a good next round, whatever it is (clearly it should be multiheaded ninjas).

Buufreak
2017-07-21, 11:40 AM
Good round everyone! Glad someone liked my comedy build. A big thank you to Thurbane for your service as our Chair. I look forward to seeing your contributions as a competitor. Welcome to our new chair, here's to a good next round, whatever it is (clearly it should be multiheaded ninjas).

Multiheaded Hivemind Ninjas. FTFY.

Jormengand
2017-07-21, 12:00 PM
Multiheaded is also better if we want more restrictions; at least one absolute condition immediately presents itself, as opposed to ninja, which as a concept is quite broad and fits better in a less-restricted round.

I vote ninja. :smalltongue:

GrayDeath
2017-07-21, 12:37 PM
Well, both multiheaded and Ninja would fit the enxt comp well for meta reasons.

IF we go any of the two however I do agree we need much more focussed restrictions/themes necessary, or we will have rounds where the theme is merely "tagged on" (for example just slapping the multiheaded template on a strong build).

For the 23rd round however I would still like to suggest something else.

Given the number a theme of "Conspirator Villain" would suggest itself, while I myself still want a "nonevil Villain" round (ergo clear antagonistst that (barely?) avoid being really Evil, while undoubtedly being evil) or something along those lines.

Or, for mechanically themed rounds ho about a round that demands the following: between 5 and 10 Monster HD, no more than 2 different Player classes added, thematically whole? Lets call it "Themed Monster"?
Clear restrictions while still allowing a wide variety of concepts and builds.

Just my 23 cents. ^^

Buufreak
2017-07-21, 02:24 PM
Or, for mechanically themed rounds ho about a round that demands the following: between 5 and 10 Monster HD, no more than 2 different Player classes added, thematically whole? Lets call it "Themed Monster"?

To which I totally wouldn't post another Illithid >.>.

OH! Tiri, did you spot that I made my first appearance before the reveal?

Thurbane
2017-07-21, 05:40 PM
I was pushing for multiheaded to be the next one specifically. It's the 22nd, after all. Two 2s. :smallcool:

That was my school of thought, but I'm OK with whatever Inevitability chooses. :smallsmile:

With this comp in general, I kind of get the feeling there are (in very rough terms) two types of comps that individuals prefer:

1. Where the most likely entry is a straight 20 level character with no RHD. More or less a BBEG Iron Chef.

2. One where the "monster" aspect of the entry is more important (or at least as important) as the class levels.

Hackulator
2017-07-22, 12:08 AM
Fine! You all want me to be a troll i can do that

I hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work if you tell people beforehand.

Korahir
2017-07-22, 12:28 AM
IF I HAVE a knife YOU DIE!

Just asaving this for the mods, in case you delete it.

Inevitability
2017-07-22, 01:43 AM
so sad, you all bullied him untill this happen

Is there some kind of unified we-hate-the-VC thing now?

Douglas
2017-07-22, 03:22 AM
The Mod Radiant: Everyone please note that calling someone a troll, or any other insult, is Flaming and against the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1). If you suspect someone of being a troll, or of having multiple accounts, please report it - especially if you have evidence - but do not post it. If the evidence is in a PM you received, please report the PM.

Thread locked for review and scrubbing. Feel free to start a new one for the next round, though.