PDA

View Full Version : Monsters hurt by water

Yklikt
2017-06-15, 11:12 AM
Anyone know if there are any monsters that will be hurt from touching water? if you know this please list in this thread.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-15, 11:15 AM
All of them, if you use enough of it and it's moving fast enough.

(No, no I don't. I looked up fire elementals, but they seem fine with it.)

denthor
2017-06-15, 11:17 AM
Undead with holy water.

But just normal water nothing comes to mind

BearonVonMu
2017-06-15, 11:21 AM
A Walker in the Wastes with 10 levels becomes a dry lich as a class feature.
A dry lich is harmed by water as though it was holy water, taking damage from it.

Bohandas
2017-06-15, 11:22 AM
Vampires, under some circumstances

Yklikt
2017-06-15, 01:03 PM
A Walker in the Wastes with 10 levels becomes a dry lich as a class feature.
A dry lich is harmed by water as though it was holy water, taking damage from it.

Can you become a dry lick without the clas?

Fouredged Sword
2017-06-15, 02:31 PM
Can you become a dry lick without the clas?

In theory, as it exists as a stand alone template, though one, with early entry tricks, can finish the class by level 11.

AlanBruce
2017-06-15, 02:48 PM
The Dry Lich will be affected by regular water as if it were Holy water, regardless of where the water comes from. Some people suggest the spell Create Water can be cast over a dry lich to destroy one, but this tactic has been hotly disputed.

Another creature that comes to mind if the Salt Mummy (MM3). They suffer the same Water Weakness as a Dry Lich and in fact, I believe Sandstorm states that a Dry Lich can create them, although I cannot recall if the stats found in the MM3 Salt Mummy are the same as the one in SS.

noce
2017-06-15, 02:56 PM
I believe Sandstorm states that a Dry Lich can create them, although I cannot recall if the stats found in the MM3 Salt Mummy are the same as the one in SS.

Walkers in the waste can create salt mummies as a class feature.
SS and MM3 versions are identical, except hp of the SS version are calculated wrongly.

EvulOne
2017-06-16, 06:35 AM
Well the description of Fire Elemental says they cannot enter water that is not flammable. It doesn't say it hurts them though, just that they cannot cross it.

ShurikVch
2017-06-16, 02:42 PM
Depending on definition of "hurt", Asherati from Sandstorm may fit in: they have Water Vulnerability - got -1 penalty on attacks and checks while wet, and start drowning instantly on submerging

If you OK with non-WotC sources, then:

Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene (Kingdoms of Kalamar) have Sharjani (living vampires), who are lose 1/3 of total hp on contact with running water (1/round); and Sand Troll, who take from water 1d4 damage/pint (8d4/gallon) (moreover - the water is one of two only ways to kill it; the other one is cold damage)

Bestiary Of Krynn, Revised have Sand Wretch (5 HD CE Medium Outsider), who got Vulnerability to Water:
Sand wretches take damage from exposure to water. A flask of water inflicts 2d4 damage to a sand wretch, much as holy water causes damage to undead. A sand wretch caught in a rainstorm takes 2d4 points of damage per round or 2d8 points if the rain is a downpour. A sand wretch that is immersed in water is instantly slain. Sand wretches who attempt to cross bodies of water take 2d4 points of damage for every 5' of water they move across; therefore, they typically avoid doing so.
A creature with the elemental (water) type that attacks a sand wretch inflicts double damage.

The Tome of Horrors I (Revised) have several monsters who got Vulnerability to Water: Algoid (5 HD Medium Plant): control water spell cause 1d6/CL damage (max. 10d6, no save); Quasi-Elemental, Lightning - 1d8 damage/gallon; Sandling (4 HD Large Elemental) slowed for 1 round per 2 gallons of water (no save)

Also, Fyrefly (http://www.enworld.org/creaturecatalog/Conversions/Fyrefly.htm).

SimonMoon6
2017-06-16, 03:55 PM
Vampires can not cross running water... but I don't know what consequences they would suffer if they are forced to do so.

Also, Wicked Witches of Oz seem to have some difficulties with water, but I don't know that they have any 3.x writeups.

The Viscount
2017-06-16, 06:41 PM
Vampires can not cross running water... but I don't know what consequences they would suffer if they are forced to do so.

Also, Wicked Witches of Oz seem to have some difficulties with water, but I don't know that they have any 3.x writeups.

From the srd under weaknesses

Similarly, immersing a vampire in running water robs it of one-third of its hit points each round until it is destroyed at the end of the third round of immersion.

Bohandas
2017-06-17, 12:22 AM
On a related noye most creatures are harmed by water if you hold them under long enough

Keral
2017-06-17, 06:25 AM
I don't think it has been mentioned. But if I recall correctly arms and equipment guide has chaotic water and lawful water which behaves like holy water and harms those of opposed alignment.

It's probably not what you're looking for but it's worth mentioning i believe.