PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Gunslinger?

miburo
2017-06-15, 10:28 PM
So one of my friends is running a campaign in Eberron in which there is a sort of magitek version of firearms. We both thought it would be really cool if there was some kind of magical version of a gunslinger, and then it hit me--the Arcane Archer in the Unearthed Arcana on revised subclasses (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf). With a few minor changes (replace Arrows with Bullets, replace Bows with Guns) it seems like it would work perfectly. I do like the suggestion I saw on the GitP forums here to replace the 2 Arcane Shots per short rest with # of Arcane Shots = Intelligence modifier per short rest, as it gives you more versatility as well as a stronger motivation to increase your Int score.

That aside, any thoughts on this? Anyone tried something similar or have other ideas? I imagine it kind of like Gene Starwind from the anime Outlaw Star, who has special caster shells for his gun that cause crazy effects.

clash
2017-06-15, 10:44 PM
There is also the artificer class who literally gets a gun and learns different types of shots as he levels that he can use at will

miburo
2017-06-16, 01:50 AM
The Artificer Gunsmith is pretty cool, but it takes the class in a very different direction than I think fits the gunslinger archetype--building magic items, magical infusion, mechanical servant, etc. I was looking for something a little more warrior-ish but with magic-like abilities. But yeah, fair point.

Foff
2017-06-16, 03:39 AM
you COULD have an artificier in the party or as an NPC that crafts his guns for other characters to use, given you'd have to roleplay said characters to have become proficient with the weapon through extensive training

X3r4ph
2017-06-16, 03:56 AM
Warlock could also fit this concept. Eldritch Blast is your weapon. As you get new Invocations you flavor them as shots. Frostance and Kiss of Mestophelis if you wanna go full Rory and Snart.

Edit. Also since the Warlock is Charisma based you can easily take the roll as the leader. Who doesn't love a duster wearing space pirate captain.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/81/a9/2b/81a92bf22a11df10c39809cd77a563de.jpg

rollingForInit
2017-06-16, 05:50 AM
Warlock could also fit this concept. Eldritch Blast is your weapon. As you get new Invocations you flavor them as shots. Frostance and Kiss of Mestophelis if you wanna go full Rory and Snart.

I did this, but as an arcane archer. He conjured a bow of spectral energy and shot arrows of force. Worked like a charm. Given how much you can modify EB, especially with the new Invocations, it seems like a much better gunslinger than the Artificer, who's a little boring in comparison. And you get comparably good spellcasting progression, which could be flavoured as some sort of "hextech" abilitites.

miburo
2017-06-16, 07:05 PM
As a PHB-only option the idea of using the Warlock sounds pretty cool. Eldritch Blast with the arcane focus being a pistol-like contraption. Possibly Alert for quickdraw reflexes and Spell Sniper to give you better range and precision (+Booming/Greenflame Blade or Shocking Grasp as a nice melee cantrip). Repelling Blast adds some versatility, and options like Fireball (if you go Fiend) could represent a supercharged shot. Some of the UA stuff also helps. Shame about the lack of Sharpshooter but that's not the end of the world...

Tetrasodium
2017-06-16, 07:28 PM
I think the "gunsmith" artificer archtype is an attept at de-ebberonizing artificer. nobody in eberron would think to make a gun that uses an explosive charge to project a bullet simply because a simple wand would be less complicated/dangerous/failure prone & easier to transport. It should have been wandsmith from the start.

Edit: I'll back that claim up with this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?91957-Keith-Baker-(creator-of-Eberron)-Q-amp-A-thread&p=1615073&viewfull=1#post1615073)

Clone
2017-06-16, 07:38 PM
Have you seen/ have access to the Gunslinger subclass for the fighter by Matt Mercer? Its pretty balanced and since you're a fighter you're super tough and have all of those goodies. Sure it doesn't have magic associated to it, but the rest of the stats, being how intelligent or charismatic you want to be, are secondary and totally up to you.

Unless of course your DM isn't cool with that, which'd be fine.

Llama513
2017-06-16, 09:39 PM
If you are allowed to work with Matt Mercer's Gunslinger, I designed a spellslinger (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1BB69Agl) around it