PDA

View Full Version : Your craziest character builds

Meepwizard
2017-06-15, 10:30 PM
My dm let me create a dwarven speed barbarian named Berry who as you can imagine can run up to speeds reaching Mach 5

So I want to know what your craziest builds are

KillianHawkeye
2017-06-16, 04:11 PM
I made a halfling Scout/Ninja/Fighter character one time who had something like +15 to Initiative. Unfortunately, the dungeon ended up being full of nothing but undead and constructs, which totally screwed my character's over-reliance on skirmish and sudden strike damage.

So basically, I went first every combat, but I was totally useless. :smallsigh::smallsigh:

RazorChain
2017-06-16, 04:35 PM
I once made a huckster called Jack Spade, that had lost his shadow in a gamble with the one of the Reckoners. The Reckoner being pissed off being fooled as he meant to take Jack's soul sent his shadow after him as an evil twin to make his life miserable.

FabulousFizban
2017-06-17, 01:58 AM
Made basically the highwayman from over the garden wall. i spiced him up a bit & he was genuinely terrifying. monk3/druid2/rogue1. mechanically he'd wildshape into a bear cast fog cloud then using smell track enemies & multiattack/flurry of blows. but the way i flavored it was he would turn into a bug bear & stab you a bunch of times with a dagger.

most if the time he was this oily smelly beardless dwarf, with a greasepaint bandit mask. but then he would transform into the horrible monster as you get lost in a fog. then he bears down grinning and stabs you over and over and over with a knife.

Silus
2017-06-17, 06:07 AM
Experimented with a Double-Shield Slayer in Pathfinder before discovering Bull Rushes brought on by Shield Bashing didn't provoke from me.

Idea was to Bash => free Bull Rush attempt => Greater Bull Rush => Provoke => Shield Bash, repeat as needed.

Looking at it, it might work if someone had an identical build.

Or maybe on NPCs...*Wanders off to ponder the implications*

Segev
2017-06-20, 10:03 AM
Mechanically and (probably) play-wise, the most insane D&D build I've got is an Elan Psion who will become a Beholder by level 5 (though unable to use his eye-beams because he's saving them to sacrifice for spell-stalks) and enter Beholder Mage by level 6.

Geddy2112
2017-06-20, 10:15 AM
A pathfinder monk with over 100 AC(~114 with all situational modifiers in play) and the ability to outright negate several attacks a turn. I call it the "cant touch this" build.

For a level 20 character, not all that dangerous, but effectively immune to nonmagical attack(and highly resistant to magic with SR, incredible saves, improved evasion, etc)

Inevitability
2017-06-20, 02:14 PM
I've created multiple characters who pulled some shenanigans and got Animate Dead at level 1. Turns out having a CR 2 minion in addition to regular wizard abilities is pretty nifty.

Deliverance
2017-06-20, 03:41 PM
Shadowrun 3rd edition.

I played a troll who was an accomplished hermetic magician and drummer, with maxed body stat (toughness) - and trolls with a high body stat get very, very, tough in SR3 - and maxed willpower (for a troll). Living the beat, his specialty on shadowruns was to sneak up on opponents (badly) under cover of invisibility and then pound them to death with dual clubs/drumsticks when he was inevitably discovered much to his surprise. He knew plenty of other magic, but drumming was his life. (And eventually his death.)

A bit of an annoying character to the rest of the group, it must be admitted, but having somebody capable of surviving being shot point blank with fully automatic weapons who could be used reliably as a decoy when properly motivated almost made up for his rather one-dimensional nature.

It wasn't crazy awesome, but it definitely was a crazy character. I never made such a one-dimensional character again. Once was enough.

Floopay
2017-06-20, 04:07 PM
I had a bard assassin who specialized in killing casters.

When he was with the party, he would rip pages out of spellbooks and use them as scrolls. It was awesome, and the party casters hated him.

Thanks for reading,
Floopay

MintyNinja
2017-06-20, 06:00 PM
In D&D 5e I managed to get a Passive Perception Score of 22 by level 4. This made my GM ragequit as absolutely nothing could sneak up on us again and no hidden items were truly hidden. I think it was just a Rogue with Expertise Perception and the Observant Feat with a 16 Wis. At level 5 it would have gone to 24 because of the Proficiency increase, but we didn't get that far.

Wraith
2017-06-21, 03:54 AM
It's a distinct choice between two candidates. The first, which unfortunately I never got to play, was a Sovereign Speaker which I was going to use in a non-Eberron setting, and so was allowed to be more liberal with my Domains than the ones dictated in the book. With only a few feats, I would have been able to Turn pretty much anything that wasn't a PC Race (and those I could get with Alignments :smallamused: ). I still have hopes that one day I will be able to go back and play her.

The other would be Ferdinand, who was.... weird. In the game After the Bomb you randomly roll on a table to pick your characters' species from a huge list of sentient animals, and then either spend your character points in making them bigger (thus exaggerating their animalistic features, like spikes and claws and what-not) or by making them smaller so that you'd have more points to spend on skills and backgrounds.

Ferdinand was a camel who I made into an Alpha-Level Psychic. He would hover 3 feet in the air at all times, had a mind-shield that would stop bullets, and could telekinetically crush cars like it was nothing. Unfortunately, in order to pay for these talents, I had had to strip away quite a few of his "Size Cataegories" and cash them in for points.... Ferdinand the Camel was approximately 2 feet tall and shrivelled like a new-born baby, barely able to carry the weight of his shoes let alone equipment.

Inevitability
2017-06-21, 04:33 AM
It's a distinct choice between two candidates. The first, which unfortunately I never got to play, was a Sovereign Speaker which I was going to use in a non-Eberron setting, and so was allowed to be more liberal with my Domains than the ones dictated in the book. With only a few feats, I would have been able to Turn pretty much anything that wasn't a PC Race (and those I could get with Alignments :smallamused: ). I still have hopes that one day I will be able to go back and play her.

There's cleric substitution levels that seem like they'd work well for this kind of character. Take a look:

Turn Invader (Su): At 9th level, a Purple Staff cleric is so devoted to protecting his homeland that he can use his ability to turn undead to frighten enemies of the Holy Realm. When standing within the borders of his country, he can turn hostile monsters or enemies of the Holy Realm as a good-aligned cleric turns undead. He cannot destroy such creatures outright using this ability.

Basically, you can turn anything as long as it counts as a 'hostile monster' or 'enemy of the Holy Realm' (which should include most things you want to turn). The location limitation isn't a big deal either, just get a few Acorns of Far Travel.

Segev
2017-06-21, 10:52 AM
I've created multiple characters who pulled some shenanigans and got Animate Dead at level 1. Turns out having a CR 2 minion in addition to regular wizard abilities is pretty nifty.

I would appreciate some elaboration on the shenanigans required. Can it be achieved with a Wizard?

solidork
2017-06-21, 12:24 PM
I always wanted to try qualifying for Fochlucan Lyrist as a Druid/Beguiler/Loredelver instead of the intended Druid/Rogue/Bard.

Inevitability
2017-06-21, 01:44 PM
I would appreciate some elaboration on the shenanigans required. Can it be achieved with a Wizard?

Wizard, Beguiler, Barbarian, Commoner... anything goes, as long as you have a moderately high intelligence or charisma.

The first step is to somehow get an arcane caster level, which can be done by being an arcane casting class or taking the Magical Training feat (if you opt for the second method and flaws aren't allowed, be a human).

Then, take the Precocious Apprentice feat. This allows you to select a single 2nd-level spell and cast it once per day, though you have to succeed on a DC 8 CL check to not waste your daily attempt. Fortunately, Animate Dead is a 2nd-level spell from the Death Master list, so it's a valid pick.

Now, you can cast Animate Dead once per day with only a 30% chance of failure. To further reduce this, there's the spellgifted trait (also notable for increasing your number of controllable undead), as well as the Arcane Mastery feat. Arcane Disciple (Deathbound) is also great for swelling your undead hordes.

A dread necromancer with all of the material mentioned above can control 7 human skeletons at level 1 they can completely heal between battles, while being able to cast spells themselves as well.

Segev
2017-06-22, 09:49 AM
Ah, drat. Unfortunately, Precocious Apprentice doesn't let you grab from arbitrary lists, only from the list to which your class grants access. So unless you're a Death Master with Precocious Apprentice...

Inevitability
2017-06-22, 12:27 PM
Ah, drat. Unfortunately, Precocious Apprentice doesn't let you grab from arbitrary lists, only from the list to which your class grants access. So unless you're a Death Master with Precocious Apprentice...

That's debatable.

Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to. You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell. Until your level is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd-level spells, you must succeed on a DC 8 caster level check to successfully cast this spell; if you fail, the spell is miscast to no effect. Your caster level with the chosen spell is your normal caster level, even if this level is insufficient to cast the spell under normal circumstances. When you become able to cast 2nd-level spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-level spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd level or lower as you normally would. Finally, you gain a +2 bonus on all Spellcraft checks.

Basically, the first sentence could be read as 'choose one 2nd-level spell, which must be from a school of magic and which you also have access to' or 'choose one 2nd-level spell, which must be from a school of magic you have access to'. IMO the more natural reading is the second one.

And hey, at least it still works for Death Masters.

Drakeburn
2017-06-22, 01:56 PM
Mechanically, I made a speedster for Mutants and Masterminds who everybody didn't like.
First of all they didn't like him since he had the Move-By Action advantage, and could run at 64,000 MPH, which means that it would be easy for him to "kill-steal" from anyone.

Secondly, my speedster had a power that allowed him to be invisible while he was running. And that would mean that the GM needed get a 30 on his attack rolls to actually hit him.

Despite being somewhat OP, I miss that speedster.

Hunter Noventa
2017-06-22, 02:12 PM
I once made a Gestalt Swordsage//Soulknife(PF Version) that ended up with a custom prestige class that let her spend maneuvers to temporarily enhance her Mind Blade.

The fight against the final boss went something like this (https://youtu.be/TUL5S9BxEeQ?t=2m38s).