PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a demon

Meepwizard
2017-06-15, 10:41 PM
Step 1) murdering your friends in their sleep
Step 2) cutting out your heart and any shred of good left in you
Step 3) find an evil wizard to cut out your heart for you

In all seriousness there is a player in my group(age 10) who wants to become a demon how would you allow such a character to do that(for refeeence he is a warlock)

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-15, 11:54 PM

In all seriousness there is a player in my group(age 10) who wants to become a demon how would you allow such a character to do that(for refeeence he is a warlock)

Arduin Grimoire had it on the random character table.-->Sired by a Demon.

Mith
2017-06-16, 12:43 AM
If he's a Warlock, the leveling up can be his character's slow transformation into a demon. If the character dies/is retired before 20th level, have them be reborn in the Abyss as an appropriate levelled demon.

Psyren
2017-06-16, 09:41 AM
PF has the Fiendish Transformation ritual which makes you a half-fiend. You could probably use that as a basis and tweak further using the ritual rules.

hamishspence
2017-06-16, 09:49 AM
"Gain the Extraplanar Subtype - home plane - The Abyss" is the main factor, I'd think - which is why a half-fiend sired/birthed/spawned etc by a demon is not a demon themselves. Evil subtype and Chaotic subtype I think are needed as well to ensure the being qualifies as "actually a fiend".

5ColouredWalker
2017-06-16, 10:17 AM
PF has the Fiendish Transformation ritual which makes you a half-fiend. You could probably use that as a basis and tweak further using the ritual rules.

That's only the 'first' stop.
You can take it a step further to full Demon (Or devil, with refluffing.). You end up turning into a Demon/Devil of your CR, while retaining your class levels. Depending on whether you use the Monsters as PC rules, this is either a multiplication of 1.5 or 2* CR, so isn't really 'party friendly'.

goto124
2017-06-16, 01:01 PM
there is a player in my group(age 10) who wants to become a demon how would you allow such a character to do that(for refeeence he is a warlock)

What system and setting? Wanna know how demons and warlocks work in there.

Ask him what he wants out of the 'becoming a demon' thing. Considering his age, I'll give him plenty of leeway. I wouldn't be so bent on punishing him for becoming a demon, he might've just wanted to pursue a cool-sounding concept.

JeenLeen
2017-06-16, 01:11 PM
What system and setting? Wanna know how demons and warlocks work in there.

Ask him what he wants out of the 'becoming a demon' thing. Considering his age, I'll give him plenty of leeway. I wouldn't be so bent on punishing him for becoming a demon, he might've just wanted to pursue a cool-sounding concept.

My initial thought was to recommend not allowing it, but IF you and the rest of your gaming group are cool with it, I could definitely see allowing it as a conceptual thing. The ritual works, and he is now a fiend. Mechanically, the changes are minor.

If this is D&D 5e (guessing from some of the language), you can say he is his own patron now, if you want. Maybe trade out some of his previous racial modifiers for things more like a tieflings.

I think the biggest thing is that, if he gets any cool stuff from this, the other players should be allowed to also get cool stuff.

Psyren
2017-06-16, 01:24 PM
That's only the 'first' stop.
You can take it a step further to full Demon (Or devil, with refluffing.). You end up turning into a Demon/Devil of your CR, while retaining your class levels. Depending on whether you use the Monsters as PC rules, this is either a multiplication of 1.5 or 2* CR, so isn't really 'party friendly'.

Ah, I missed that. Very nice

RazorChain
2017-06-16, 01:31 PM

Allow him to become a demon and then he'll be busy on house calls to people that want to do the old Faustian deal or try to bind him to his service. It is better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven....but it is even worse to serve in Hell. Good Luck to him...just remind him that sometimes power has a price.

goto124
2017-06-20, 04:06 AM
What was the lead-up to him asking to be a demon? The reasons this 10-year-old is asking to play a demon could be variants of "it sounds cool" or "I watched a show about a demon and now I wanna play him" with little regard for consequences. I wouldn't just throw in the negatives like that - such a young player may not even see what he's done wrong, and may instead feel the DM is bullying him.

What do the other players think? Since they seem to be playing with the 10-year-old just fine, they probably would be alright with him being a slightly more powerful human refluffed as a demon.

Nifft
2017-06-20, 09:57 AM

Heh, or just cast it again.

Repeat until "other half, also fiend (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html)".

GreatWyrmGold
2017-06-21, 08:20 AM
The devil is in the details, pun not intended. On one end of the spectrum, you might have a minor quest or ritual that lets him turn into a tiefling; on the other end, you might have a series of demonic grafts and/or prestige class levels which grant him various demonic abilities. It all depends on how demon-ey he wants to be.