PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Opinion: Energy Substitution Desert Wind

Boozy
2017-06-15, 11:56 PM
So, here's the gist. I want to change the energy type for Desert Wind abilities from Fire to Lightning. I'm building an ogre mage gish in an anime fantasy setting, and it's got Jade Fire Mage levels. However, given the prominent nature of Raijin/Susanoo-no-Mikoto motifs (and the fact an orge mage is basically an oni ogre), I want to be more in theme and have lightning stuff.

First off 1)DM is cool with it. Fire and lightning are fasty and zippy thematically, so it's in character. 2) I made the argument that while Fire is the most common energy type, lightning resist isn't uncommon either. Furthermore, Cold subtype isn't exactly rare. So on the balance, I'd be doing damage more often, and double damage less often. He agreed. Finally (and least relevant argument), I'm taking energy substitution feat for my spells.

So, now the question. What are some arguments for and against that should be considered? I'm not looking to cheese the campaign rule-wise, but I do want to be in step thematically. Does this change sound balanced?

Pex
2017-06-16, 12:41 AM
Damage type is fancy way of saying "flavor text". It is irrelevant for everything until such time a particular opponent has a special warning about it. The ratio of how often you face such opponents over all opponents you face is dependent on the DM. The ratio is only a problem if it's too high. At that point the DM is arbitrarily shutting you down because no opponent exists without the DM's permission. The number of creatures in the Monster Manual that have the special warning about your preferred damage type is irrelevant. Only the opponents you face in game count. When the ratio is too high and presuming your DM is not a jerk, address your concern and the DM should accommodate. If the DM is doing it on purpose to spite you, get a new DM. I'm going to accept you do not have a jerk DM problem. That's just there for completeness.

When the ratio is not too high you have nothing more to worry about. Then it becomes the DM's issue. If the ratio is low or 0, meaning you face few to no creatures with special warnings about your preferred damage type, it's for the DM to decide if he's ok with it in terms of setting up interesting and fun encounters and challenges for you. It would be prudent of you to have means of engagement that do not involve your preferred damage type. Expect the occasional BBEG to have a special warning about your preferred damage type. You should also expect to have fun using your preferred damage type to your heart's content in all your character's glory including against other BBEGs.

In conclusion, don't worry about it. You'll get your fun. The DM will throw in the occasional electricity resistant or immune monster, so do something else. If too many opponents have resistance or immunity to electricity talk to your DM.

tyckspoon
2017-06-16, 12:46 AM
Mechanically, you could probably swap Desert Wind's energy type to anything and it would be fine. Most of the Desert Wind abilities just don't do enough damage to be of major concern; they're generally behind an equal-level caster throwing a bog-standard d6/level blast spell, and the ones that are a bit ahead of that curve are at best awkward to use. So.. yeah, go for it.

Boozy
2017-06-16, 01:29 AM
Mechanically, you could probably swap Desert Wind's energy type to anything and it would be fine. Most of the Desert Wind abilities just don't do enough damage to be of major concern; they're generally behind an equal-level caster throwing a bog-standard d6/level blast spell, and the ones that are a bit ahead of that curve are at best awkward to use. So.. yeah, go for it.

Yeah, that was my opinion on it too, but it's good to check in case I was missing something. The goal is to run a fun, RP focused campaign with real challenges for tension, not break the system (WotC did that already). I know Desert Wind is suboptimal as is, but because I don't need to squeeze every ounce out of the system, I can be fluffy.

As for DM's discretion for encounters, that's a given in any game or system. Normally, I'm on the other side of the screen, and of course I exercise the same rights when crafting my own campaigns. Being a player for a change makes me want to try the kinds of flavor changes I'd allow, and this is shaping up to be fun.