PDA

View Full Version : Make Darkness + Devil's Sight party friendly with Blink spell logic?

Sirdar
2017-06-16, 03:44 AM
Warlock Archie Feyman casts Blink (and is lucky to 'blink out' on the next couple of rounds). As a consequence, Archie disappears from the combat at the end of his turn and enters the combat at the start of his next turn. Thus, for every turn except Archies, he is on the Ethereal Plane.

Warlock Fiennes Impson casts Darkness on his tongue and start every subsequent turn by opening his mouth and end every subsequent turn by closing his mouth. Since Fiennes has the Devil's Sight Invocation he now has the privilege to attack with his Blade Pact weapon (called Dark Tongue for the sake of confusion :smalltongue:) in Darkness on his turn. With 'Blink logic' the Darkness disappears at the end of his turn and enters at the start of his next turn. Thus, for every turn except Fiennes, there is no Darkness and his party members (and enemies) are unaffected. Of course Fiennes would not have the benefit of being protected by the Darkness outside of his turn, but now the other players don't hate him for being party unfriendly with the Darkness/Devil's Sight combo. Now they hate him for abusing the rules - which is much better!?

Question: Would you allow this trick or not in your game? It's just Advantage so its hardly breaks anything, but are you ok with the image of Fiennes moving and making his attack in this 'dark blur' manner?

For reference:

3rd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

Roll a d20 at the end of each of your turns for the duration of the spell. On a roll of 11 or higher, you vanish from your current plane of existence and appear in the Ethereal Plane (the spell fails and the casting is wasted if you were already on that plane). At the start of your next turn, and when the spell ends if you are on the Ethereal Plane, you return to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of the space you vanished from. If no unoccupied space is available within that range, you appear in the nearest unoccupied space (chosen at random if more than one space is equally near). You can dismiss this spell as an action.

While on the Ethereal Plane, you can see and hear the plane you originated from, which is cast in shades of gray, and you can’t see anything there more than 60 feet away. You can only affect and be affected by other creatures on the Ethereal Plane. Creatures that aren’t there can’t perceive you or interact with you, unless they have the ability to do so.
2nd-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, M (bat fur and a drop of pitch or piece of coal)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot-radius sphere for the duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with darkvision can’t see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can’t illuminate it.

If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn’t being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it. Completely covering the source of the darkness with an opaque object, such as a bowl or a helm, blocks the darkness.

If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.
Warlock Invocation
You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.

Foff
2017-06-16, 04:08 AM
you'd lose half of the spell's potency, imposing disatvantage to your enemies attacks, and that's a big enough tradeoff that I'd allow it anyday

Lombra
2017-06-16, 04:14 AM
I wouldn't allow the tongue as a target but if he had a tongue piercing or something in his mouth I'd allow it. For the same reason that you can't target your hands or your hair with it.

Drathmar
2017-06-16, 04:34 AM
It would be cool if it somehow got "cursed" to be permanent so anytime he tried to talk he was surrounded by magical darkness. I honestly think it would be fine, it basically makes the combo party friendly but also makes it less powerful. It still makes it powerful enough to use though because advantage on every attack and disadvantage on OA's against you i still really good. Especially on a class that gets booming blade.

Sirdar
2017-06-16, 09:06 AM
you'd lose half of the spell's potency, imposing disatvantage to your enemies attacks, and that's a big enough tradeoff that I'd allow it anyday

It would be cool if it somehow got "cursed" to be permanent so anytime he tried to talk he was surrounded by magical darkness. I honestly think it would be fine, it basically makes the combo party friendly but also makes it less powerful. It still makes it powerful enough to use though because advantage on every attack and disadvantage on OA's against you i still really good. Especially on a class that gets booming blade.
Good. I think it hits the sweet spot of the power you would expect for the needed investment (i.e. a spell slot, concentration and an invocation).

I wouldn't allow the tongue as a target but if he had a tongue piercing or something in his mouth I'd allow it. For the same reason that you can't target your hands or your hair with it.
Alright, a small object in the offhand or a pierced tongue - thats the question!