PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Going to the Fair

Nerdynick
2017-06-16, 12:35 PM
So in my next session, my players (level 9) are going to find themselves at a county fair, more or less. I'm looking for fun things for them to do, maybe some cool contests or prizes. So far, I'm pretty heavily influenced by the tutorial of NWN2, but I'm open to ideas.

I was thinking that the grand prize for winning the most events would be a Hammer of Thunderbolts. A mediocre weapon until you find gauntlets of ogres strength and a belt of giants strength. Gives them a tangible and desirable reward, but delays it slightly.

Talwar
2017-06-16, 12:52 PM
Be nice if that were the prize in fairs around here.

Anyway, depending on the venue:

-Tests of strength (Caber/rock tossing, the thing with the hammer and scale)
-Performance (singing, dancing, chicken-calling)
-Baking/cooking/preserving
-Craft-making (quilts, etc)
-Survival (fire-making, shelter construction, first aid)
-Farm stuff (Sheep shearing, herding, rodeo)
-Horse riding (Speed, Barrel, etc. Something called "Extreme Cowboy" could be fun for riding PCs)
-Weapons competitions (trials or free-for-alls)

Pex
2017-06-16, 12:59 PM
So in my next session, my players (level 9) are going to find themselves at a county fair, more or less. I'm looking for fun things for them to do, maybe some cool contests or prizes. So far, I'm pretty heavily influenced by the tutorial of NWN2, but I'm open to ideas.

I was thinking that the grand prize for winning the most events would be a Hammer of Thunderbolts. A mediocre weapon until you find gauntlets of ogres strength and a belt of giants strength. Gives them a tangible and desirable reward, but delays it slightly.

If you're really giving such a weapon as a prize then no one should know what it really is. They just think it's a nice warhammer. Someone who does know what it is really, really wants it and entered the contest to win it. Maybe even cheat a little. He would have gotten it too if it wasn't for these meddlesome adventurers who got it instead. It would break verisimilitude if a weapon of that notoriety was a publicly known thing just to be awarded at a fair. The unknowing of it creates the mystery and plot hook.