PDA

View Full Version : DM question- Item for Eldritch Knight

JMAP94
2017-06-16, 02:18 PM
So, I've been reading that the eldritch knight is a little bit underpowered, and i have a friend who really wants to play one. I was thinking about giving him an item (a gauntlet maybe?) that allows him to cast a cantrip as a bonus action each turn, so that he can sword and sling in the same turn a bit. Do you think this is fair?

nickl_2000
2017-06-16, 02:23 PM
My PHB isn't next to me, but I believe that they already get this ability with War Magic. My experience is that EKs stand up plenty well with other classes and that isn't really needed

mephnick
2017-06-16, 02:30 PM
Nah Eldritch Knight is fine power-wise, people just need to realize it's a fighter first. People also make the opposite mistake of not making it a caster at all, dumping Int and just taking defensive spells. The SCAG cantrips helped the class a lot as well.

nickl_2000
2017-06-16, 02:34 PM
Yes I verified it's called war magic and they get it at level 7.

Findulidas
2017-06-16, 03:04 PM
Bottom line is the archetype isnt considered weak at all.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-06-16, 03:09 PM
You can give them the magic item dancing sword DMG p. 161. It uses your bonus action, flies 30ft. and can make an attack 4 times before it comes back to you. Basically it's war magic early, and allows you to cast a spell with a spell slot instead of just a cantrip so even after 7th it will still be useful. This will give a slight bump in power but they still do what eldritch knights are known to do. They can go into battle sword and board, take dueling or defense, use to bonus to free up the hand and then use the action to cast a spell with a free hand. Then after 4 rounds start swinging with the sword.

Eldritch knights are good because they get prof. in concentration and along with heavy armor, D10 hit die, shields, absorb elements and shield spell make very good tanks.

Phelan Boots
2017-06-16, 08:07 PM
If you bother tracking the somatic and material components for Spells, it can make sword and board EKs clunky. In that case a weapon that doubles as a spell focus would be cool.

Tanarii
2017-06-16, 08:13 PM
If you bother tracking the somatic and material components for Spells, it can make sword and board EKs clunky. In that case a weapon that doubles as a spell focus would be cool.
That doesn't help when casting V/S spells though.

But I second the S&B being kinda clunky. A weapon that allows casting S components while holding it would be more helpful, especially given most cantrips are V/S. That's very useful to EK, which want to use cantrips heavily in the same round as attacking after level 7. Especially if they're S&B with a lower weapon damage. It's 1/3 of a Feat (War Magic) as a magic time item, which feels like a nice boost.

Phelan Boots
2017-06-16, 08:28 PM
Ah, you're right. I thought you like wave about a wand or staff as a focus for some reason. :/

Tanarii
2017-06-16, 08:42 PM
Ah, you're right. I thought you like wave about a wand or staff as a focus for some reason. :/
You can if its also an M component. But lots of spells EKs want to use are just V/S.

Although if this is a DM made item, no reason it can't do both.

nickl_2000
2017-06-16, 08:49 PM
For some reason I seem to remember that EKs and arcane tricksters can't use arcane focuses. I may be wrong, but it would make a big difference

Phelan Boots
2017-06-16, 08:55 PM
For some reason I seem to remember that EKs and arcane tricksters can't use arcane focuses. I may be wrong, but it would make a big difference

You're right, but the DM item could just spell out the desired effect, without calling it an arcane focus.

nickl_2000
2017-06-16, 09:02 PM
You're right, but the DM item could just spell out the desired effect, without calling it an arcane focus.

Good point, a good DM hand wave does take precedence over the rule books :)

Phelan Boots
2017-06-16, 09:11 PM
I've actually been considering this a while because one of the characters I have sitting around waiting to play, is a Hal-Orc EK wielding a spear and shield. He's just waiting to find a DM with an active waving hand.

JackPhoenix
2017-06-16, 09:36 PM
You can give them the magic item dancing sword DMG p. 161. It uses your bonus action, flies 30ft. and can make an attack 4 times before it comes back to you. Basically it's war magic early, and allows you to cast a spell with a spell slot instead of just a cantrip so even after 7th it will still be useful. This will give a slight bump in power but they still do what eldritch knights are known to do. They can go into battle sword and board, take dueling or defense, use to bonus to free up the hand and then use the action to cast a spell with a free hand. Then after 4 rounds start swinging with the sword.

Eldritch knights are good because they get prof. in concentration and along with heavy armor, D10 hit die, shields, absorb elements and shield spell make very good tanks.

I'm not sure if "give them very rare item before level 7" is a good advice to deal with any percieved weakness on propably (it's a toss-up with BM, IMO) the strongest fighter subclass...

Kaldur_Rahm
2019-03-29, 09:56 PM
Good point, a good DM hand wave does take precedence over the rule books :)

Ruby of the War Mage
XGE
Wondrous Item, Minor, Common (Requires Attunement by a Spellcaster)
Etched with eldritch runes, this 1-inch-diameter ruby allows you to use a simple or martial weapon as a spellcasting focus for your spells. For this property to work, you must attach the ruby to the weapon by pressing the ruby against it for at least 10 minutes. Thereafter, the ruby can't be removed unless you detach it as an action or the weapon is destroyed. Not even an antimagic field causes it to fall off. The ruby does fall off the weapon if your attunement to the ruby ends.

This gets around that pesky rule.

LudicSavant
2019-03-29, 10:03 PM
I'd actually say EKs are one of the Fighters with the highest optimization potential, matched only by Battlemasters (with Samurai Sharpshooters coming up a little behind both of them).

Some examples of things that make EKs good:

Shield / Absorb Elements on top of a Fighter's kit mean that you can be one of the toughest Fighters to hurt when it counts.
Fighters scale better than anyone else with per-hit attack buffs, and you can cast things like Shadow Blade.
Warding Wind protects you and everyone behind you from ranged attacks, as well as some other stuff. Lets you wade into swarms of foes with crossbows and force 'em to play your game.
Warcaster + Booming Blade makes you one of the stickier Fighters. It also can combo with spear+shield Polearm Master if you want.
Multiclasses well into things like War Wizard after level 12.

edit Didn't realize that Kaldur's post was a necro.

Rukelnikov
2019-03-29, 10:09 PM
2yo Necro going on here, but since I already joined the party...

So, I've been reading that the eldritch knight is a little bit underpowered, and i have a friend who really wants to play one. I was thinking about giving him an item (a gauntlet maybe?) that allows him to cast a cantrip as a bonus action each turn, so that he can sword and sling in the same turn a bit. Do you think this is fair?

Amazing that this exact item appeared in GGR!

EDIT: Shucks, it requires you to cast a cantrip with your action, not the same item, also a bracer not a gauntlet :(

djreynolds
2019-03-29, 10:41 PM
Ring of spell storing

Haruki-kun
2019-03-30, 12:24 PM
The Winged Mod: Turn Unthread!