PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Protection from divination... useful how?

Tetrasodium
2017-06-16, 09:17 PM
Crag cats are protected from divination & you can get magic items to grant the same... but uhmmm... is there any actual value to it?.. Sure it could make it a little harder for an npc to scry on you, but are there any pravtical reasons/uses for it?

Aett_Thorn
2017-06-16, 09:26 PM
Trying to hide from a wizard that could kill you? Seems like having protection from Divination could be useful there. If it also extends to being able to protecting yourself from something like the effects of Zone of Truth or other motive-sensing effect, then it would make it much easier to Deceive someone that was using those against you. Especially if they don't know that you have it.

JackPhoenix
2017-06-16, 09:28 PM
Depends on campaign, obviously. True Sight and See Invisibility are both divinations, so being protected from them has some value if you use Invisibility against more powerful fiends and other creatures with access to them. For crag cats, Speak with Animals is divination, so it keeps pesky druids from questioning them.

In my Eberron campaign, player characters (or rather, item in their possession, they managed to avoid or kill anyone who could identify them sufficiently to scry for them) are hunted by multiple dragonmarked houses. Being immune to divination spells is invaluable... they consider the box containing the item and protecting it from divination their most important magic item. And any rakshasa operating anywhere near Church of the Silver Flame better have some way to avoid being picked up by Detect Evil and Good and Divine Sense. Same is true for certain monarch.

solidork
2017-06-16, 10:27 PM
In our current campaign, I briefly considered hiding a dangerous magic item instead of trying to destroy it. If its in the middle of nowhere and there are no witnesses, same thing right? Then I realized that since I could probably eventually find it by using Divination, and there was no guarantee that our enemies couldn't do the same.

MaxWilson
2017-06-17, 12:48 AM
Crag cats are protected from divination & you can get magic items to grant the same... but uhmmm... is there any actual value to it?.. Sure it could make it a little harder for an npc to scry on you, but are there any pravtical reasons/uses for it?

It's mostly useful when you're on the lamb hiding from the Left Hand of the Jhereg.

Just make sure your familiar is protected too, or someone might track you down by divining its location instead of yours.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-17, 09:17 AM
Sounds like your DM doesn't use high level wizards as bad guys. When you get a DM that does, it's extremely useful