PDA

View Full Version : Need an Interesting Healer

NecessaryWeevil
2017-06-16, 10:04 PM
Hi Playground,

I'm hopefully playing my first Adventurer's League game in 24-36 hours with no idea about party composition. I figure healers are usually welcome, but I want it to be capable of doing more than solely healing, and I'd like to do it in an interesting way (no Life Clerics) and to be viable from Level 1. Whatcha got?

scalyfreak
2017-06-16, 10:29 PM
A bard

They get all sorts of interesting skills you can use for fun things, and a lot of non-healing spells that can contribute in other ways.

jaappleton
2017-06-16, 10:39 PM
A deceptive Bard that claims they're a Cleric on a pilgrimage, but they're really a total con artist trying to grift people.

Pex
2017-06-16, 10:40 PM
Play whatever you want and take Healer feat. The feat provides better healing than any healing spell. You're better than a walking potion. If you can do prepare Healing Word for emergency healing, but that's all you need. If you want more Bard's Song of Rest helps with short rest HD spending for healing. Since Bards like Charisma anyway eventually take Inspiring Leader feat to provide a nice bump of temporary hit points for your party. Bard is the way to go if you don't want the more stereotypical Cleric route. Go with Lore Bard to pick any healing or buff spells you'd like that Bard doesn't already give you.

A deceptive Bard that claims they're a Cleric on a pilgrimage, but they're really a total con artist trying to grift people.

Doesn't have to be cynical. The character can be Honest True in his faith and be a Cantor.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-17, 02:22 AM
I second the idea of using a healers kit. Especially as a thief who, unless I'm reading it wrong, can heal this much as bonus action with fast hands.

Pex
2017-06-17, 07:30 PM
I second the idea of using a healers kit. Especially as a thief who, unless I'm reading it wrong, can heal this much as bonus action with fast hands.

Awesome find!

Hairfish
2017-06-17, 08:12 PM
You can only heal each player once per short rest with the kit + Healer feat combo, though. Unless you're in a large party, a bard with the Inspiring Leader feat can preemptively do the same thing for nearly as much HP, have healing spells for emergencies, and be able to grab Aura of Vitality off the paladin spell list. Dipping one level into life cleric makes AoV ridiculously powerful and lets you buff AC by swapping light armor + 14 DEX for heavy armor + shield + 15 STR. You could get nearly the same AC by keeping DEX and going valor subclass (or exactly the same with 16 DEX and Medium Armor Mastery feat), but you miss out on the superior perks of lore subclass that way.

Pex
2017-06-17, 09:13 PM
You can only heal each player once per short rest with the kit + Healer feat combo, though. Unless you're in a large party, a bard with the Inspiring Leader feat can preemptively do the same thing for nearly as much HP, have healing spells for emergencies, and be able to grab Aura of Vitality off the paladin spell list. Dipping one level into life cleric makes AoV ridiculously powerful and lets you buff AC by swapping light armor + 14 DEX for heavy armor + shield + 15 STR. You could get nearly the same AC by keeping DEX and going valor subclass (or exactly the same with 16 DEX and Medium Armor Mastery feat), but you miss out on the superior perks of lore subclass that way.

You only need it once per short rest per person. If your party is that injured you need more you're likely short resting anyway and spending HD. That's where Song of Rest comes in and Inspiring Leader when the short rest is done. Healing Word is for in combat emergency, Cure Wounds if you don't mind that being your action that turn. If you'd like, be proficient in Herbalism tools and make your own healing potions for the party.

Hairfish
2017-06-17, 09:21 PM
You only need it once per short rest per person. If your party is that injured you need more you're likely short resting anyway and spending HD. That's where Song of Rest comes in and Inspiring Leader when the short rest is done. Healing Word is for in combat emergency, Cure Wounds if you don't mind that being your action that turn. If you'd like, be proficient in Herbalism tools and make your own healing potions for the party.

That was sort of the point. How many feats are you planning on devoting to 1/SR hit points?

BillyBobShorton
2017-06-17, 09:22 PM
A Bugbear named Teddy. He's big, furry, and loveable. But he's also deadly. Take the Polearm Master and Sentinel Feats. Go Battlemaster Life Cleric in whatever combo you like. Destroy in combat, be kind outside of it. And always cuddly.

polymphus
2017-06-17, 09:28 PM
Abjuration Wizard with a Healer's Kit/Medicine Proficiency. Actual healing is pretty meh in 5e, but preventing damage can be pretty amazing and you don't lose out on versatility or power.

By the same ticket, a Bear Totem Barbarian is pretty good at making sure enemies don't hurt your team.

imanidiot
2017-06-18, 01:24 AM
Hi Playground,

I'm hopefully playing my first Adventurer's League game in 24-36 hours with no idea about party composition. I figure healers are usually welcome, but I want it to be capable of doing more than solely healing, and I'd like to do it in an interesting way (no Life Clerics) and to be viable from Level 1. Whatcha got?

Light cleric. You're a heavily armored blaster thatcan heal if necessary.

Tauguy628
2017-06-18, 02:17 AM
Some others have mentioned something like this, but you could always try this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?471899-Ridiculously-good-healer-(just-for-fun)) if you are going for all out healing.

Aaron Underhand
2017-06-18, 05:31 AM
Hi Playground,

As others have mentioned there are basically two ways to do this, which will make you friends at any table. Both involve VHuman - for the first level feat.

1 Healer's feat allows you to play any character you like. Note some key points - the second effect is to bring someone to 1 HP from unconscious. This is NOT limited to once/SR - it's an always on effect. Make sure everyone has their own healing kit, so you don't run out. The main healing is for out of combat use.

2 Inspiring leader. Slightly less overall HP, but more utility in that they are applied in advance. Best on a Cha based character to avoid MAD. I would recommend a Bard, as that will also give you Song of Rest.

The utility of both of these can be gauged by comparing to a simple first level Cleric cure spell. In a party of 6 people with two short rests in an adventuring day either are approximately equivalent to 18 first level spell slots. If healing potions are rare this is a massive boost.

I prefer Healer myself - especially as Inspiring Leader will be useless if another character in the party also picks it - I don't think that's the case with healer - after all who will heal the healer?

edited for typos

Naanomi
2017-06-18, 08:48 AM
Light cleric. You're a heavily armored blaster thatcan heal if necessary.
A mediumly armored blaster anyways

Also consider a moon Druid... fight and scout or whatever in beastly form; healing spells (and restoration, which is harder to 'fake') available if really needed or between encounters

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-06-18, 09:23 AM
I am playing a Bard currently and like Healing Word. Its a bonus action so I don't waste my turn. Its funny to say off handidly, here is my D4 roll to pick the rogue up on the gound then go about my business doing damage.

Tanarii
2017-06-18, 10:19 AM
That was sort of the point. How many feats are you planning on devoting to 1/SR hit points?
If it frees up multiple 1/LR spell slots for each one taken? Lots.

Citan
2017-06-18, 05:27 PM
Hi Playground,

Anyone really.
- Bard is always a nice pick, because you have many built-in features, plus interesting Magic Secrets, and Inspiring Leader is a perfect fit.
- Any Cleric would be nice, but the roleplay may be a bit heavy depending on your own view of it or your DM's. I'd suggest Trickery Cleric though, because being a trickster should alleviate this some way. Also, you can have fun with the duplicate.
- Land Druid: better fuel (recover some slots), each Circle gives interesting spells to use. If your DM is open-minded, Wild Shape can open some very funny tricks -not necessarily optimized, just funny-, like: cast Conjure Animals, Wild Shape as a spider, go hide yourself in the safety of your big Fighter pal's heavy armor. XD
- Even a Monk or a Thief could make a pretty decent healer (also gives hilarious sight: imagine like Flash zigzaging like a madman to use healer feat on all his teammates ^^).

Some wild fun ideas if your DM want to allow "originality": be a martial that can wield a sling and get Sharpshooter, with someone in your party having Life Goodberries available: use Extra Attacks to try and throw goodberries into the mouths of your downed allies. Efficient? Very probably not. Fun to try a few times? I'd bet on it. ;)

CantigThimble
2017-06-18, 06:37 PM
If it frees up multiple 1/LR spell slots for each one taken? Lots.

It may be wise not to be absolutely dependent on short rests to heal. You don't want to be all-in on them when a day with few short rests comes up. I think either healer or inspiring leader would provide enough power on days with lots of rests that it's worth diversifying.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-18, 06:44 PM
Dr.drow paladin of devotion grab medicine and healer as a feat and just heal and do no harm swing a mace instead of a sword.

Talionis
2017-06-18, 09:41 PM
Life Cleric 1/Warlock X. You het healing word and can upcast it off your slots. This can make a good Blade lock if you like with heavy armor. You'll want high Charisma with Warlock so maybe you take Inspiring Leader Feat. Familiar is another way to go. But definitely not an ordinary healer.

CantigThimble
2017-06-18, 09:54 PM
Life Cleric 1/Warlock X. You het healing word and can upcast it off your slots. This can make a good Blade lock if you like with heavy armor. You'll want high Charisma with Warlock so maybe you take Inspiring Leader Feat. Familiar is another way to go. But definitely not an ordinary healer.

Upcasting healing word doesn't seem like a very efficient plan, even with Disciple of Life.

Trueye
2017-06-18, 10:35 PM
You should seriously consider the thief with healing kit and healer feat. you can heal yourself or anyone else once per short rest as a bonus action. Not to mention you can use other items, like caltrops or ballbearings, and DM permitting, acid, oil, or alchemist fire.

also go alt human and take magic initiate for booming blade, green flame blade, and find familiar. All of which combo greatly with a rouges sneak attack. I also recommend the mobile feat when you get a chance.

all this with the rogues added proficiency's and expertise which make for a fun character to roleplay.

Drackolus
2017-06-18, 10:52 PM
Well, the cleric/bard suggestion already came up, and that's a super cool ability. Usong cutting words on the damage of aoe's is a really good way to use it.
But, before you toss out the idea of life cleric, let me point out that the potent channel divinity and the higher efficiency of the healing spells means that you can cast more non-healing spells while still doing your job effectively.
Oh, and the healer feat is "healed once by this feat," so you don't want multiple.

Tanarii
2017-06-19, 09:36 AM
It may be wise not to be absolutely dependent on short rests to heal. No one said anything about being absolutely dependent on short rests to heal.

Healing Word is for in combat emergency, Cure Wounds if you don't mind that being your action that turn.

Veniur
2017-06-19, 08:11 PM
I think Paladin makes an okay healer. May sound weird, but essentially every level you get a cure wounds (1d8 is basically 5. You just get to add your mod normally) and you get actual cure wounds. Besides that you give your allies other benefits, such as your aura stuff (maybe check out oath of the ancients' aura). Sure you're only a half caster, but I think you make up for it. Plus you can nova if your party really needs it. And you can use the protection fighting style if desired.

Veniur
2017-06-19, 08:19 PM
I think Paladin makes an okay healer. May sound weird, but essentially every level you get a cure wounds (1d8 is basically 5. You just get to add your mod normally) and you get actual cure wounds. Besides that you give your allies other benefits, such as your aura stuff (maybe check out oath of the ancients' aura). Sure you're only a half caster, but I think you make up for it. Plus you can nova if your party really needs it. And you can use the protection fighting style if desired.

Just reread it. It is actually also nice because you can immediately heal exactly the needed health without any spillover or wasted actions. You could spend your whole pool of healing in one action if you wanted. (Lvl 14, that's a heal spell). I also figured by lvl 12 you could have inspiring leader and +5 cha mod for it.

Zene
2017-06-19, 10:35 PM
Upcasting healing word doesn't seem like a very efficient plan, even with Disciple of Life.

With short rest slots? Efficiency is much less of a concern.

I've actually never heard of the warlock healer before now, but I like the concept. Could also get healing word via bard instead of cleric, if you wanted to be less MAD and didn't care for the heavy armor and shield.