PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Raven Queen, Hexblades, Warlocks and adventuring

Foff
2017-06-17, 02:23 AM
So here I am playing a Fallen Aasimar Hexblade Bladelock for my new Storm King's Thunder campaign (the last failed miserably at the start).
After reading a while the lore of the Raven Queen and her Hexblades I decided to go for a meleelock adventurer who joined the adventuring life after graduating Neverwinter Academy.
Since I'm going for the "I'm an exalted warrior of fate and death" feel I have come to a dilemma.
The Raven Queen teachings impose that every being should meet its predestined end naturally, and all those who try to escape death by any mean need to be put down by my blade.
If an adventurer in my party dies but we have the means to raise him back, does that go against my Queen's Teachings?
If so, should I try to stop my fellows from raising said dead party member?
We have a gnome artificier in our party with 30 hp, so it's not that uncommon to see ppl die :D

Arcangel4774
2017-06-17, 03:18 AM
One way to rationalizing it is simply it wasn't there time to die yet; the Raven Queen has much to do with fate as well.

Herobizkit
2017-06-17, 04:32 AM
Previously (4e?), the Raven Queen was (often) the source of Revenants, dead persons given a semblance of undeath to finish a great plan or destiny. She doesn't hate people coming back from the dead so much as people extending their life beyond its natural limit, such as vampires and liches (and other free-willed undead, who just shouldn't be running around all free-willed).

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-17, 09:47 AM
Previously (4e?), the Raven Queen was (often) the source of Revenants, dead persons given a semblance of undeath to finish a great plan or destiny. She doesn't hate people coming back from the dead so much as people extending their life beyond its natural limit, such as vampires and liches (and other free-willed undead, who just shouldn't be running around all free-willed).

Agree. She doesn't hate trying to escape death in and of itself. She hate trying to escape death and very often, those two coincide.
One interesting way for you to roll play that aspect is to always try to bring your party members back BUT if it doesn't work, then you don't try again. Or if they die twice in a day or a week - they clearly are meant to be dead by fate