PDA

View Full Version : DnD5e Warlock multiclass - are higher level warlock spells available for Bard slots

hennaco
2017-06-17, 07:12 AM
Hi all, I have searched these forums and found many helpful posts. I have not been able to find this answer.

Can a Bard3/ Warlock1 multiclass character choose spells known for his bard spells that are from the PACT magic list of bonus spells that he can not yet cast based on his warlock level.

Specific example upon gaining a level can he choose a second level warlock spell for one of his Bard spells.

I understand that spells are interchangable once known but the mechanism for this not outlined anywhere I can find.

I assume the answer is talk with the DM and I agree with that however, our group is new to DnD5e (but, long time AD&D players) and I was hoping for some feedback from more 5e experience.

THanks

DivisibleByZero
2017-06-17, 07:24 AM
No.
When choosing known spells (or spells to add to your spellbook, or spells you prepare) you pretend you're single classed for this purpose.
When casting spells, any spell you know can be cast from any slot that you have of an appropriate level.
The mechanism is outlined under the multiclass rules.

hennaco
2017-06-17, 12:56 PM
No.
When choosing known spells (or spells to add to your spellbook, or spells you prepare) you pretend you're single classed for this purpose.
When casting spells, any spell you know can be cast from any slot that you have of an appropriate level.
The mechanism is outlined under the multiclass rules.

Thanks!

Warlock multiclass is a bit of an odd duck. I am not sure I get a why they set it up that way but I can see that point. Kind a bit of harshing that class vibe but trade offs are made across the board with multiclass.

MrStabby
2017-06-17, 03:20 PM
Also, to point out that spells are not interchangeable when known. It doesn't matter here but the spell will still use the casting stat from the class that granted it - so if you were to dip cleric, the spells you took as cleric spells would use wisdom not cha.