PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shield Bonus to AC Question

thecrimsondawn
2017-06-17, 07:53 AM
If I have say a +5 buckler, that is giving me a 1 shield bonus, and a 5 shield enhancement bonus, and I am subject to an effect that provides "a shield bonus to AC" that is greater then 1 (lets assume 4 here). Would the base shield bonus of the shield be temporarily overwritten by the larger amount, or does it assume that the enhancement bonus of the shield is a part of the shield bonus (and thus, as the basic +5 buckler is a total of 6, would be greater)?

Florian
2017-06-17, 07:56 AM
If I have say a +5 buckler, that is giving me a 1 shield bonus, and a 5 shield enhancement bonus, and I am subject to an effect that provides "a shield bonus to AC" that is greater then 1 (lets assume 4 here). Would the base shield bonus of the shield be temporarily overwritten by the larger amount, or does it assume that the enhancement bonus of the shield is a part of the shield bonus (and thus, as the basic +5 buckler is a total of 6, would be greater)?

Ehancement boni are always calculated as the type they enhance on. So there´s no "1 shield" and "5 enhancement", it´s always "6 shield".

Ellrin
2017-06-17, 09:12 AM
Ehancement boni are always calculated as the type they enhance on. So there´s no "1 shield" and "5 enhancement", it´s always "6 shield".

This is how I've always played it, but does anyone have the specific text explaining it for easy reference?

Necroticplague
2017-06-17, 09:21 AM
This is how I've always played it, but does anyone have the specific text explaining it for easy reference?

it's under the definition of enhance,ent bonuses

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor’s bonus to AC, they don’t apply against touch attacks.

The bolded and italicized in the center indicate that enhancement bonuses can be 'tied' to an item, and the last bolded part explicitly says that enhancement bonuses to armor and shields is just increasing the side of the armor's bonus (note shields are a type of armor).