PDA

View Full Version : Dragon dentures

LairdMaon
2017-06-17, 10:37 AM
I seem to recall seeing a weapon designed to cover the teeth for the purposes of enhancing bite attacks. I just can't seem to find the thing. Any ideas where it might be?

Zaq
2017-06-17, 11:39 AM
The mouthpick weapon from Lords of Madness comes to mind, but I think you're thinking of something different.

Wait a sec . . . found it! Jaws of the Dragon, from Draconomicon pg. 83. Very underwhelming, to be honest—it just gives a creature with a bite attack the constant effects of the Sharptooth spell, which increases the damage of one natural attack as though you were one size category larger. For 40,000 gp, I kind of expect better, truth be told. (Yes, yes, it's giving the continuous effect of a 4th level Personal-only spell that normally has a 1 rd/lvl duration, but it's also a distinctly underwhelming spell.)

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader whether the picture on that page makes the dragon look more or less intimidating. Like, yes, it's a dragon, and you've technically buffed the dragon, but it also looks pretty goofy, and the dragon depicted doesn't look like it can actually close its mouth all the way anymore, so it'll probably start mouthbreathing and/or drooling eventually.

Also, for what it's worth, Sharptooth is basically strictly worse than Mighty Wallop and Greater Mighty Wallop for enhancing bite attacks. Bite attacks do slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage, so they're valid targets for (Greater) Mighty Wallop. Mighty Wallop lasts longer and only costs a 1st level slot, while Greater Mighty Wallop lasts way longer (hours/level instead of rounds/level), increases the damage by quite a lot more, and is still a lower spell level. So yeah. Sharptooth: don't use it on teeth.

(TECHNICALLY, if you're already Colossal, Greater Mighty Wallop bumps into a cap that Sharptooth doesn't explicitly have, but even then, I'm not impressed.)

LairdMaon
2017-06-17, 11:54 AM
Bah ha ha! Thanks! Both for the info and the commentary!

I'll admit, I'm toying with a gestalt build utilizing two homebrewed classes, evolutionist and war soul. The idea was to focus on a bite attack with evolutionist and use the war soul weapon as the bite's enhancement. I don't think this is viable at this point.

Gildedragon
2017-06-17, 12:36 PM
If homebrew is being allowed: I feel you ought to be able to convince the DM of a weapon to say, up either the damage dice (byb1 step) or crit range (by 1), be special-material-able, and enchantable

Call them: Chompers

Bohandas
2017-06-17, 12:44 PM
I think it'd be more like grillz than dentures.

(on that note for fire dragons it occurs to me that it might also be handy to have an actual grill that could be installed on the mouth :D

LairdMaon
2017-06-17, 03:27 PM
Chompers and grillz. I feel like the grillz should be made of gold...

I'm loving this!

Gildedragon
2017-06-17, 03:33 PM
Chompers and grillz. I feel like the grillz should be made of gold...

I'm loving this!

Tch. +1 Ornate Adamantine Grillz, studded with a weapon adaptation crystal, naturally glowing