PDA

View Full Version : Acid Sorc With Elemental Adept

Creyzi4j
2017-06-17, 10:41 AM
Was thinking of creating an acid based sorceref with draconic bloodline and Elemental Adept (acid) as a feat.

That vitriolic sphere dmg seems pretty devastating.

What u guys think?

Clone
2017-06-17, 10:44 AM
I like the idea, but one idea you should try with your DM is change the elemental damage of some spells to acid damage. Otherwise you won't get too many spells with actual acid damage.
Failing that a Lore Wizard could work for changing damage types.

Creyzi4j
2017-06-17, 10:48 AM
I like the idea, but one idea you should try with your DM is change the elemental damage of some spells to acid damage. Otherwise you won't get too many spells with actual acid damage.
Failing that a Lore Wizard could work for changing damage types.

I dunno. I like sticking to the RAW. Really nice combination since Vitriolic Sphere dabbles with d4s, and higher chances of rolling a 1.
This sorc is pretty much a one trick pony tho'.

Clone
2017-06-17, 10:56 AM
I getcha, and if you're okay with only using Acid Splash and Chromatic Orb for a while then thats fine. But the only spells which use Acid damage that the Sorc gets are:

Acid Splash
Chromatic Orb
Prismatic Spray
Vitriolic Sphere

So if you're fine with only those being able to cause acid damage, then thats cool, but otherwise you'll be starved for options

MasterMercury
2017-06-17, 11:04 AM
That being said, you'll typically want one or two other damage spells for things immune to acid. And maybe some utility spells. You should be fine.

Creyzi4j
2017-06-17, 11:11 AM
I getcha, and if you're okay with only using Acid Splash and Chromatic Orb for a while then thats fine. But the only spells which use Acid damage that the Sorc gets are:

Acid Splash
Chromatic Orb
Prismatic Spray
Vitriolic Sphere

So if you're fine with only those being able to cause acid damage, then thats cool, but otherwise you'll be starved for options

Well, my level 12 char just died, and the DM allowed me to create a new character that is also level 12 with a different lore. So I get the vitriol early.
I was also thinking of reskinning him into some kind of scientist/inventor apprentice (since that's his lore). Instead of throwing a spell, he throws acidic flasks instead (coz most acid spells are splashes).

Also, at level 14 maybe use a jetpack instead of wings (since there's a bit of steampunk on the campaign).

Creyzi4j
2017-06-17, 11:12 AM
That being said, you'll typically want one or two other damage spells for things immune to acid. And maybe some utility spells. You should be fine.
What are monsters immune to acid?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-17, 11:18 AM
What are monsters immune to acid?

From the MM...

Resistant:
Banshee
Shadow Demon
Water Elemental
Marid
Ghost
Black & Copper Half-Dragons
Grey Ooze
Ochre Jelly
Shadow
Slaadi
Spectre
Will-o'-Wisp
Wraith

Immune:
Black Dragons
Copper Dragons
Clay Golem
Mimic
Black Pudding
Yugoloths

MrStabby
2017-06-17, 02:58 PM
I think this is pretty sound. Sorcerer is an exceptionally powerful class if you run it as a controller, but with an ability to do decent damage when needed or preserving resources.

Acid splash and vitreolic sphere will take you a long way.

Pure sorcerers are not that MAD so you can probably spare the feat.