PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need some help for a new character

poorwhiteboy
2017-06-17, 11:27 AM
Hello all, I am fairly new to D&D and well the DM has killed my first character so I thought I would try to get some help. I have done some research and will be looking to make something that will be really hard for the DM to kill and hit really hard.

Starting with a 33 point buy system (what my DM has picked) and no stat can be over 19 or under 5 at first level after any racial adjustment. I would be starting at level 6 (-1 for wanting a goliath) and thinking of starting with the unearthed arcana rogue variant (first 2 levels) to get the bonus feats in place of sneak attack and then taking some barbarian levels to get ferocity from cityscape. Other than that pretty open to just about everything. And yes I know this build isnt really going to be great at higher levels but we are only playing to level 10.

Playing in the Forgotten Realms, no Dragonlamce, Eberron, Dark sun, or other Realms' books. Also, you can't use Savage Species or the Tomes of Battle. Aside from these, the other books are ok to use. They must be REAL D&D books, though. Nothing from Dragon magazines.

Kayblis
2017-06-17, 12:18 PM
Get the rogue level first if you want the skill points, or the barbarian level first if you want the HP. If you just want feats, the Fighter has a better chassis for combat than the rogue. Stats are STR >CON > DEX > rest.

Barbarian has a lot of ACFs, they are what makes the class worth it. You can trade Fast Movement for Pounce(full attack at the end of a charge, you keep the +2 charge bonus) and trade your Rage for Whirling Frenzy(a different rage that boosts STR, AC, Reflex and gives 1 extra attack on a full attack) OR Mountain Rage(special Goliath rage, +STR and +size bonuses). On your 2nd barbarian level, get Improved Trip through Lion Totem ACF so you can use that high STR and Huge-like size bonus to throw opponents to the ground(and hit them with a free attack). The first comes from CompChampion(Spiritual Lion Totem) and the other two are UA variants. Read the Tripping Handbook for some easy tips, as well as a Barbarian Handbook we have somewhere around here.

denthor
2017-06-17, 12:56 PM
Your new do not get fancy learn to play a basic character

Fighter

Ranger if you want to take leadership role and out in wilderness

If in town Thief join the guild

Monk is not my 1st Choice but decent for newbie

If you must play caster cleric bacob trickery domain for invisibility escape spell.

Unless you like paperwork stay away from

Wizard

Barbarian

Most of the people here will give you there idea of uber cool mixes by your own admission you are new right now you need to concentrate on staying alive and learning positioning. Maybe some character development not what radical power will I have in five levels. .

Think one level ahead plan for success but remember it is a dice game you can have all the great powers and still roll a 1 and turn to stone.

poorwhiteboy
2017-06-19, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the replys, and yes I am very new and what you say is true. More or less if I'm honest, I'm just upset that the class I had wanted to playa dread necromancer, I cant play the same class back to back was killed simply because my DM didn't like it so she had him killed.

And again thank you

Nifft
2017-06-20, 12:15 AM
FR + Barbarian makes me think of Rashemen, and the fun that can be had with Runescarred Berserker.

Wolf Lodge Berserker is a fun feat: you get a bonus on Trip attacks, and you can take Improved Trip without the usual prereqs.

Then take Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) and you've got a simple yet effective character.