PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Non-evil Deity in the Forgotten realms with the. Tempest domain?

CrackedChair
2017-06-17, 02:32 PM
So I wanted to make a Firbolg cleric that served a deity with that Tempest domain. Only problem is, each deity that had the domain was evil in some fashion, and my Firbolg is going to be good or neutral.

Is there a deity I am missing?

Unoriginal
2017-06-17, 02:36 PM
So I wanted to make a Firbolg cleric that served a deity with that Tempest domain. Only problem is, each deity that had the domain was evil in some fashion, and my Firbolg is going to be good or neutral.

Is there a deity I am missing?

Well, dunno about the Forgotten Realms, but the D&D version of Thor is chaotic good, as mentioned in the PHB

Clone
2017-06-17, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty sure all the named domains in the PHB are simply suggestions, rather than "This is a god only for X domain".

I'll soon be playing a Tempest Cleric of Hercules who isn't evil, as there are a few suggested gods outside of the Faerun pantheon.
Otherwise in SCAG in the Faerun pantheon there are a few, being:
Akadi, goddess of air - N
lstishia, god of water - N
Valkur, North lander god of sailors - CG

OracularPoet
2017-06-17, 03:00 PM
Valkur in SCAG. Is a Northlander specific deity, but a Moonshaes firbolg would be in contact with Northlander culture.

Edit: and he is CG. Sort of a Lief Erickson/Odysseus demigod.

Millstone85
2017-06-17, 03:08 PM
Otherwise in SCAG in the Faerun pantheon there are a few, being:
Akadi, goddess of air - N
lstishia, god of water - N
lstishia, god of water - CGYou said lstishia twice. As mentioned by OracularPoet, I suppose you meant the second one to be:
Valkur, Northlander god of sailors - CG

Also, a firbolg could probably gain the favor of an elven deity. That adds, again from SCAG:
Aerdrie Faenya, goddess of the sky - CG

Do the gods of giants have clerics? I think they don't.

Clone
2017-06-17, 03:31 PM
You said lstishia twice. As mentioned by OracularPoet, I suppose you meant the second one to be:
Valkur, Northlander god of sailors - CG

Also, a firbolg could probably gain the favor of an elven deity. That adds, again from SCAG:
Aerdrie Faenya, goddess of the sky - CG

Do the gods of giants have clerics? I think they don't.

Whoops, ya got me. Edited!

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-06-17, 03:49 PM
It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for a Tempest Cleric to be a worshiper of Bahamut (LG). In previous editions, Bahamut's domains/portfolio has included Air, Wind and Storm and one of his titles is "Lord of the North Wind".

I actually kind of like the idea of playing a good cleric of an evil god like Umberlee. I imagine the cleric less as an agent of the evil god and more as a peacekeeper or mediator. The cleric makes sure that people pay proper tribute and offers prayers and sacrifices to avoid displeasing the god and inviting disaster and is granted power in order to continue making sure the deity gets what she wants and deserves. From the divine side of things, the cleric is like a tax collector for their god while on the human side they're like a traffic cop, keeping anyone from stepping out of line and taking risks that could lead to the situation getting messy with the god intervening more directly (and harmfully). It strikes me as an interesting dynamic that's available since 5e doesn't require a cleric's alignment to match their deity's.

Scots Dragon
2017-06-17, 04:11 PM
It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for a Tempest Cleric to be a worshiper of Bahamut (LG). In previous editions, Bahamut's domains/portfolio has included Air, Wind and Storm and one of his titles is "Lord of the North Wind".

I actually kind of like the idea of playing a good cleric of an evil god like Umberlee. I imagine the cleric less as an agent of the evil god and more as a peacekeeper or mediator. The cleric makes sure that people pay proper tribute and offers prayers and sacrifices to avoid displeasing the god and inviting disaster and is granted power in order to continue making sure the deity gets what she wants and deserves. From the divine side of things, the cleric is like a tax collector for their god while on the human side they're like a traffic cop, keeping anyone from stepping out of line and taking risks that could lead to the situation getting messy with the god intervening more directly (and harmfully). It strikes me as an interesting dynamic that's available since 5e doesn't require a cleric's alignment to match their deity's.

This is actually something that has been mentioned as a possibility by the designers themselves. I remember reading a few days ago about Chris Perkins saying that a paladin of Talos with the Oath of the Ancients would be an interesting and fairly decent idea since Talos' status as an evil god is more of an abstract element and that the deities themselves should be complex enough to allow for non-evil interpretations of what they're about. Applying this to clerics isn't much of a stretch at all.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-06-17, 04:18 PM
There's also Stronmaus, father of Storm giants, who is NG and had weather in his portfolio in earlier editions.

Hiatea is actually a firbolg/giant goddess of nature, which you could argue would include Tempest. She's officially N, but she's got some pretty serious NG leanings.