PDA

View Full Version : Tight on budget, but want expansions...

Calivar
2017-06-17, 05:51 PM
As you can see by the title, I am trying to find expansions for 5e that are either cheap (by rpg standards) or well worth the cost. I normally write my own adventures, so prebuilt adventures are not exactly what I am looking for. I am more along the lines of things like more monsters, magic items, possibly classes, things of that nature. If you haven't guessed yet, I am going to be a DM and would like a nice toolbox to play with. If you have suggestions, let me know!

May the dice be ever in your favor!

DragonBaneDM
2017-06-17, 05:54 PM
As you can see by the title, I am trying to find expansions for 5e that are either cheap (by rpg standards) or well worth the cost. I normally write my own adventures, so prebuilt adventures are not exactly what I am looking for. I am more along the lines of things like more monsters, magic items, possibly classes, things of that nature. If you haven't guessed yet, I am going to be a DM and would like a nice toolbox to play with. If you have suggestions, let me know!

May the dice be ever in your favor!

You might want to look into Wizard of the Coast's Unearthed Arcana. It's mostly stuff meant for playtesting, but it's all free!

MrStabby
2017-06-17, 07:50 PM
The internet is terrible for some content, mainly classes or things for PC choices. On the other hand it is pretty good for homebrew monsters and just about ok for magic items.

Have a look at the homebrew section on the forum for monsters (and no, none of them are mine).

Campaign elements are trickier but maybe work out the key themes first then look for content to I
in-fill the gaps.

Falcon X
2017-06-18, 01:58 AM
Honestly, I just draw from things from 2nd and 3rd edition.
I don't do precise challenge ratings, so converting monsters is intuitive for me.
Magic items are universal, except for +1,+2, etc benefits that have to be cut in half for 5e mechanics.

Sites like http://monsterfinder.dndrunde.de/ have been helpful for me to find 3.5 monsters.

Solunaris
2017-06-18, 02:04 AM
The Planeshift books (free on Wizard's website) are a good way to mix in a few things from Magic: the Gathering.