PDA

View Full Version : CoS ideas

agnos
2017-06-17, 07:03 PM
So later this year I'm going to start DMing Curse of Strahd (for the third time) for a home game (as compared to the AL runs). I want it to be a bit different since almost half played the Silver box Ravenloft in 2e years ago. I'd like to change things a decent amount. The primary change being Strahd being a regretful Faust; he's 'lived' long enough and been trapped in his owl personal hell where he can never get a hold of Tatyana but is always close. Such to the point that he actively wants to be beaten, but he can't (or won't) just let anyone defeat him.

Any other suggestions or alterations for things to work into CoS?

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-17, 08:59 PM
Theirs the upfront method.and than show them failure of others bring every vampire spawn as a dead adventurer who tried to take on strahd go explore and when you are ready ill be waiting at my castle. Even show the dread of his failures when he is playing the organ actually make it strahd have thwm actually eat and talk with him. Make him feel downtrodden.from villain to depressed and ready for his final death.but he will only die in a fight.

willdaBEAST
2017-06-18, 07:33 PM
My recommendation is to make Strahd is actively seeking an heir, rather than wanting to be beaten. In my campaign that heir apparent is going to be a PC and if he refuses, a child that he's trying to protect (a kid rescued from the Bonegrinder Hags). You could fold your idea into Strahd seeking an heir, where he presents it as someone replacing him when in reality he wants someone to kill him first and then take his spot.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-18, 08:31 PM
My recommendation is to make Strahd is actively seeking an heir, rather than wanting to be beaten. In my campaign that heir apparent is going to be a PC and if he refuses, a child that he's trying to protect (a kid rescued from the Bonegrinder Hags). You could fold your idea into Strahd seeking an heir, where he presents it as someone replacing him when in reality he wants someone to kill him first and then take his spot.

Im going to use that

djreynolds
2017-06-19, 01:47 AM
So later this year I'm going to start DMing Curse of Strahd (for the third time) for a home game (as compared to the AL runs). I want it to be a bit different since almost half played the Silver box Ravenloft in 2e years ago. I'd like to change things a decent amount. The primary change being Strahd being a regretful Faust; he's 'lived' long enough and been trapped in his owl personal hell where he can never get a hold of Tatyana but is always close. Such to the point that he actively wants to be beaten, but he can't (or won't) just let anyone defeat him.

Any other suggestions or alterations for things to work into CoS?

_________----------------SPOILERS AHEAD___--------------------------

I think you can usurp him and take over. Our sorcerer tried this. There is stuff at the Amber Temple, so there are ideas there.

If you are willing to allow players a bit more free reign.

If the players are willing to play a bit more PvP towards the end, it could be fun.

So one idea, is to have one player betray the party. This player is now out to kill Strahd and take over... and perhaps the party must make the choice of a lesser of 2 evils, and fight for Strahd. But in killing their power mad buddy, perhaps they lack what is needed to kill Strahd.

Temperjoke
2017-06-19, 02:00 AM
_________----------------SPOILERS AHEAD___--------------------------

I think you can usurp him and take over. Our sorcerer tried this. There is stuff at the Amber Temple, so there are ideas there.

If you are willing to allow players a bit more free reign.

If the players are willing to play a bit more PvP towards the end, it could be fun.

So one idea, is to have one player betray the party. This player is now out to kill Strahd and take over... and perhaps the party must make the choice of a lesser of 2 evils, and fight for Strahd. But in killing their power mad buddy, perhaps they lack what is needed to kill Strahd.

The only problem with this is that Strahd is brought back by the Dark Powers after a short while. This is because Ravenloft is a place of punishment/torture of Strahd, so unless you can keep killing him, you can only take over the place if the DM changes the story ending to allow it.

Unoriginal
2017-06-19, 03:19 AM
The thing with Ravenloft is that the punishment the lords get are basically self-inflicted.

Strahd is trapped in an endless loop of failure because of his own ego and impossibility to let the woman he wants escape him.

If he decided to go "I've had enough of it, I want to die for good, just give me a nice fight to end it all", then he will suddenly be stuck in a loop of stupid, ridiculous deaths and non-satisfactory fights and mindgames, which would push him to come back each time because "no, this is not how Strahd ends, I need an epic conclusion."

djreynolds
2017-06-19, 03:58 AM
I never use this spoiler thing until now, and I keep screwing it up. But I thought we killed that SoB in CoS, may have to make a return visit

Unoriginal
2017-06-19, 04:32 AM
I never use this spoiler thing until now, and I keep screwing it up. But I thought we killed that SoB in CoS, may have to make a return visit

Strahd cannot really die. He's trapped in an endless cycle of always committing the same mistakes.

djreynolds
2017-06-19, 05:47 AM
Strahd cannot really die. He's trapped in an endless cycle of always committing the same mistakes.

I don't know if it was the DM or the writers, but at like 3/4ths of the way through my benevolent hill dwarf life cleric.... wanted Strahd dead. And even worse, there were a few others I wanted to add to that list.

But its kudos to the writers and my DM for CoS.... because you definitely felt invested in the game.