PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Buld help and character motivations for Yuan-ti pureblood from volo's guide

sflame56
2017-06-17, 08:46 PM
So I am planning on making a new character for when the next core story book hits and I am planning on making a Yuan-ti pureblood. They get a boost to cha by 2 and int by 1 while also gaining magic resistance, poison immunity and innate spellcasting. I have 3 options that came to mind when I saw this race and I wanted to get thoughts on what would work best or be more inline with what a Yuan-ti would be or ideas I never thought of. Going to try and keep character AL legal so will either do point buy or normal spread.

Wizard- Many of the wizard options are quite fun though I have played a bladesinger wizard I never got the true wizard experience from it (but I still had so much fun with it.) Necromancer would go along with their cold personality but it would be hard convincing a group your not evil from doing that by is it a good option. Divination and enchantment also stand out for me.

Sorcerer- A lot of good options here and I have never played them. Wild mage is so interesting but dragonic would be cool if you did a green dragon. (though the poison spells are heavily lacking in the book ;.;)

Ranger beastmaster- I have done this before a long time ago and only reason I would do it again is a snake human gets a snake pet. Would be interesting but no benefits to it.

Now for warlock I just did one so I don't want to do that right now. It was fun but I want something new. Bard is an option but I don't think an emotionless race would care about such simple tools that toy on one's emotions.

For roleplaying them I want to also get thoughts on how they should act. One idea is a Yuan-ti that gets shunned after he starts to inquire about emotions and slowly starts to learn what they are from the group he is apart of. Though we would be like a fish out of water like not understanding everyday emotions or jokes. Like he laughs at the wrong times and makes horrifying jokes. Another option is a calculating one that plans to gain strength through his adventures to eventually gain enough wealth and power that he can make his own kingdom or overthrow one. I just want to get thoughts on how to play this well to make them come off quite interesting while not being just a 100% jerk. For alignment I would try to go either chaotic good or lawful evil.

Hairfish
2017-06-17, 10:29 PM
For purebloods out in the world, I think they might be rather like OWoD's revised Setites (I suspect they inspired the Volo's writers, too). Consider seeing if you can dig up a copy of the clanbook for inspiration: the one with the guy with a monocle on the cover, not the one with a woman in sunglasses.