PDA

View Full Version : How shall I roleplay a Cleric of Bahamut?

CrackedChair
2017-06-17, 11:25 PM
So I decided that my Firbolg Cleric would serve Bahamut as a deity, and as such, serve a Tempest domain.

I know bits and pieces of Bahamut lore, that he is the Platinum Dragon, the Dragon that all Metallic dragons are descended from and such, but as for being an Acolyte to him, I am at a loss.

So here is what you should know. I decided this Firbolg was found dropped off as a baby at a shrine full of Dragonborn that revere Bahamut, and as such, is how he found himself serving them. But other than that, not much else comes to me.

How shall I play out the acolyte being a Cleric of Bahamut?

Sigreid
2017-06-17, 11:43 PM
Well, his name in AD&D was Paladine. So he would prefer if you behaved in a manner worthy of Sir Galahad.

CrackedChair
2017-06-17, 11:45 PM
So, real Lawful Good?

Sigreid
2017-06-17, 11:47 PM
That is very much the tradition. You don't have to be stupid about it. But I would say very much as a honor, victory, charity type.

CrackedChair
2017-06-18, 12:14 AM
Understood. I guess when it comes right down to it, being honorable is what is expected of Metallic dragons.

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-06-18, 12:52 AM
You can find out a lot about various in-universe gods from the various D&D wikis that exist around the internet. For example, the Forgotten Realms wiki (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bahamut) says this about Bahamut's personality: (spoiler for length, not spoilers)

Bahamut was stern and very disapproving of evil, always arguing with Asgorath about his crusade against it. He accepted no excuses for evil acts, and didn't tolerate even minor offenses offered by evil creatures.[5][29]

In spite of his stance, he was also considered one of the most compassionate beings in the multiverse. He had limitless empathy for the downtrodden, the dispossessed, and the helpless.[5] He usually preferred to polymorph those who had offended him instead of killing them.[29]

By draconic standards, Bahamut was neither vain or desirous of treasure. He valued wisdom, knowledge, prophecies, and songs instead.[29] However, he also pursued viciously (usually sending his champions and followers) those who tried to steal the hoard from his palace as, after all, he was the god of justice.[27]

Bahamut also liked to prove the strength and worthiness of his followers by battling against them in his dragon form, halting the combat when his followers were injured or when they overcame him. However, he was prone to get carried away by his zeal, and had powerful healers on hand in case he had gravely injured one of his followers in those battles.[30][25]

That doesn't mean you have to take that and carbon copy it for your cleric's personality. Maybe there is one really strong aspect like extreme compassion or zeal for justice that could have caught Bahamut's attention in your character. Another part of the article says Bahamut disdains combat and prefers diplomacy where possible; as long as it doesn't clash with the rest of the party too badly, that could be interesting to play. Maybe be the type who is quick to offer piece (but ready to fight when necessary) and who tries to avoid killing his opponents if he can persuade them to surrended. (A lot of DMs love this, because a captured or surrendered enemy is much better at giving exposition and plot hooks than a dead enemy.)

The rest of your cleric's personality could be whatever you like, but with that core of nobility and compassion or justice that keeps you on the same page as Bahamut.