PDA

View Full Version : It came from the far plane

CIDE
2017-06-18, 08:44 AM
My second thread in one day! For that, I do apologize but will preface that the two aren't for the same game/world as my previous thread. I'm helping develop a far future big bad for someone else's world that I help with. Essentially, we're looking at an epic Abomination/Elder evil/demigod type of thing and as the thread name implies it's from the far plane. Fro the sake of being thorough we'll say any source that's not homebrew is allowed.

Just in case certain people are reading I'm not going to include certain fluff/plot elements but I'm not against fluff-related input as well. I will mention that this thing while deriving a lot of its nastiness fromthe far plane actually originated from somewhere else (probably the Prime Material, Toril). The starting race doesn't particularly matter, though. That can be hanged and warped.

What I'm basically after here is a collection of Far planed themed races, templates, classes, and other sorts of goodies to include on this thing. I'm already considering the Planar Sheperd (did I mention it's epic play?), Daelkyr andthe daelkyr half blood, cerebrosis (sp? the Dragon Magazine feat/ritual), pseudonatural, symbiotes, etc. Likely going to be leaning towards psionics and the more mentally screwy this thing becomes the better. Especially if it can bypass immunity to mind affecting stuff.

I'm not worried about CR here.

Falcon X
2017-06-18, 09:51 AM
Obviously the bulk of what shows up in the Prime Material is Illithid or illithid by-product.
If you can get access to the 2e book "The Illithiad", it has illithid origin stories, biology, and some sweet technology. I'll list some stuff later if I have time.

Ones to pay attention to that are from outside our known multiverse:
- Obyriths
- Asmodeus's rod
- All the spirits that a Binder can bind (from Tome of Magic)

Gildedragon
2017-06-18, 11:24 AM
There are 2 distinct pseudonatural templates
Classwise: Alienist
Vestigewise: Zceryll (pronounced Sheryl)
LoM has a lot of stuff on aberrations; pretty much all of them are lovey dovey craftian
There's Elder Eidolons too
Mind Flayers of Thoon

Bronk
2017-06-18, 12:01 PM
I'll second the Thoon, and add in the Kaorti as another representative of returning Far Realm visitors.

The Uvuudaum is an example of an epic critter directly from the Far Realm.

Moonbeasts and Mooncalves aren't described as being from the Far Realm, but they're a good thematic match.

noob
2017-06-18, 12:29 PM
I like gibbering orbs even through they do not come from the far realms.

Gildedragon
2017-06-18, 01:52 PM
I like gibbering orbs even through they do not come from the far realms.

Along this line: Gibbering Mouthers, Unnamers, Pandorym

CIDE
2017-06-18, 08:01 PM
I can't do a full response on my phone but thanks for the responses so far. Good stuff there.