PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A Paladin Subclass: Oath of Loyalty (HELP!)

Liran Sterling
2017-06-18, 03:54 PM
I'm running a campaign this coming school year, and one of my players wasn't completely happy with the options for paladins. He wanted to be a Paladin mechanically, but not the "holy warrior" that the PHB and UA options provide. So I made him a new Oath, that gave a whole new flavor. It's based at least loosely on the Warlord from 4e, and is based around loyalty to a nation or a cause, and mechanically is about buffing allies and calling in assists.

The Oath of Loyalty Paladin is a leader tank, and really uses the Paladin's CHA to its fullest.

Problem is, for this campaign, I'm making this subclass, a Druid subclass (which I'll post on here when it's more developed), and an entire new class called the Physician, which is a healer in the purest sense of the word, and a bit more (Which I'll also post on here eventually). This is a lot on my plate on top of world building and such, so checking for balance isn't too easy for me to do, despite hoping that it's pretty good.

So help me out. What's OP? What's weak? What is just useless or trash?

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkbwUdLEXW

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-18, 04:25 PM
I like this class

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-19, 12:13 PM
The purple dragon knight of paladins aka i love this a fallen aasimar finds strength in the bonds theyve made and breaks out of their shell of sadness maybe even rekindling that spark they once held.a half orc takes a massive swing from a foe blood running down his face he tells the villager he stood in front of to flee we will handle this as his party comes to his aid.he heals his wound and says with a fire in his eyes where were we.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-19, 12:18 PM
Motivational leader is it or temp hp or these now only create temp hp. Having the ability to do both versatile only one eh. The other class features work well.

Liran Sterling
2017-06-19, 03:38 PM
Motivational leader is it or temp hp or these now only create temp hp. Having the ability to do both versatile only one eh. The other class features work well.

Are you suggesting making Motivational Leader give the option to heal HP or grant temporary HP? I have it so that this paladin is not a healer, but a motivator, but if you think that's a bad idea I may change it to add more versatility.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-19, 04:02 PM
Are you suggesting making Motivational Leader give the option to heal HP or grant temporary HP? I have it so that this paladin is not a healer, but a motivator, but if you think that's a bad idea I may change it to add more versatility.

Give them the choice to it may not fit flavor wise but ive been the solo healer paladin.so being able to make temp hp or use lay on hands and other healing spells as actual hp would help.bringing a guy at 0 to 1 with temphp may not keep him standing. I like the spell list choices thematic.but as ive said top 5 of my paladin choices.i dont know what raw on getting 1 temp hp at 0 hp would do.

Liran Sterling
2017-06-19, 04:40 PM
Give them the choice to it may not fit flavor wise but ive been the solo healer paladin.so being able to make temp hp or use lay on hands and other healing spells as actual hp would help.bringing a guy at 0 to 1 with temphp may not keep him standing. I like the spell list choices thematic.but as ive said top 5 of my paladin choices.i dont know what raw on getting 1 temp hp at 0 hp would do.

My thing is that this isn't a healer Paladin. It's a buffer. If someone is unconscious at 0, temp HP won't get them up, because if someone is unconscious, cheering them up won't wake them up and magically fix them. This is meant to be a more mundane (in the non-magical sense, not boring) Paladin. They are a leader, not a support. If you want to be a support Paladin, Devotion would probably be best, and I didn't want to step on the feet of Devotion. I wanted this Oath to be all about them temp HP, which are often more useful (as they have no max), but they have limits when it comes to fixing a wound or stabilizing someone.