PDA

View Full Version : What BFC could be used to counter freedom of movement?

ayvango
2017-06-18, 06:25 PM
What options are available for a caster to control battlefield when enemies are equipped with freedom of movement?

Elkad
2017-06-18, 06:35 PM
Anything that doesn't directly restrict their movement of course.

Caltrops will slow them down.
Physical terrain obstacles like Grease, Blockade, Wall of Horse/Iron/Ice/whatever.
Fogs still block vision just fine.
Status effects will work fine as well. Stun, Daze, Sickened, Blind, Sleep, Prone (from Grease), etc.

Necroticplague
2017-06-18, 06:57 PM
What options are available for a caster to control battlefield when enemies are equipped with freedom of movement?

Go from affecting the enemy, to affecting the battlefield itself. Solid walls (such as Stone, Ice, Iron) so physical set up the terrain, Stone Shape similarly can create things they can't move through, Forcecage can still trap them, Distintegrate can create pits under them, things that don't stop them can still act as BFC if they can't see through it (like Fog Cloud, Wall of Gloom, or Wall of Smoke)

Gildedragon
2017-06-18, 07:13 PM
Pits, walls, fear, poison, sleep

Summoning clouds of Sleep Smoke
Illusory Pits
Panicking them
Draining their ability scores so they hit 0 on any one
Trapping them in a cage/wall/maze

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-06-18, 07:46 PM
Limit their actions: Wall of Smoke, Cloud of Bewilderment, Stinking Cloud, etc. inflict Nauseated. Tons of stuff inflicts Dazed or Stunned (but FoM makes them immune to paralysis and most slow effects). Ray of Dizziness is a no-save that's effectively a slow, but it doesn't physically hinder them so it's still going to work despite FoM.

Limit their vision: Glitterdust, Pyrotechnics, Blindness/Deafness, Blinding Breath, etc.

Fear Effects: The Fear Handbook (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:m6EE1ET28VQJ:brilliantgameologists. com/boards/index.php%3Ftopic%3D3809+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) provides a great overview of the best effects to use. Intimidate with Imperious Command is fantastic, especially if done as a move-action with Fearsome armor (from Drow of the Underdark, which is a more recent version than MIC). Inflicting (or scaling up to) Frightened/Panicked with positioning that forces him into a corner makes him cower, or it can cause him to flee into unexplored rooms and run through traps or even find additional encounters.

Make it a disadvantage: The floor gives way, or the rope bridge is cut, and the party plummets toward certain death only to be caught by the webs of giant spiders. Except the guy with FoM, he falls right through the webs and hits the stone floor, surrounded by opponents. The rest of the party can easily free themselves from the dusty old webs and climb down safely, but they'll need to hurry if they want to save him.

flappeercraft
2017-06-18, 08:09 PM
Wall of Horse/Iron/Ice/whatever.

May I know where to find the Wall of Horse? Because if it actually exists I want to be able to conjure walls made of horses

Zancloufer
2017-06-18, 08:26 PM
May I know where to find the Wall of Horse? Because if it actually exists I want to be able to conjure walls made of horses

I think it's something like a custom item of at will Mount. Even at CL 1 it summons a pony or horse for 2 hours and you can stack up a decent number of them. There is probably a better way but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

Elkad
2017-06-18, 08:41 PM
In a 10' hallway, even one horse from a Mount spell is a wall of some effectiveness.

The 3rd level one who's name I forget is 1 horse per CL. Filling a whole room with panicked large creatures isn't the worst thing you can do if you are just trying to keep the enemy from moving freely in an area.

At 2hrs/level, if the horse survives you can use it again.

Necroticplague
2017-06-18, 09:31 PM

I think it's something like a custom item of at will Mount. Even at CL 1 it summons a pony or horse for 2 hours and you can stack up a decent number of them. There is probably a better way but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

In a 10' hallway, even one horse from a Mount spell is a wall of some effectiveness.

The 3rd level one who's name I forget is 1 horse per CL. Filling a whole room with panicked large creatures isn't the worst thing you can do if you are just trying to keep the enemy from moving freely in an area.

At 2hrs/level, if the horse survives you can use it again.

The upgraded version that summons a ton of horses is Regal Procession. To the best of my knowledge 'wall of horse' isn't anything about an item, but simply the tactic of using Regal Procession to clog up the battlefield with horses to impeded movement.