PDA

View Full Version : Critique on a Firbolg Cleric, please?

CrackedChair
2017-06-18, 09:17 PM
I finally got done making a Cleric, at an attempt to have a spellcasting character I can use at tables.

Here it is!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdMU1McVM3MEluWW8

And here is my spells I have preped.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FXcXv1VrOdY1JFQmF6UGdMV0E

Let me know what you think, and let me know if I could change anything!

Unoriginal
2017-06-19, 03:28 AM
Do you like this character? Do you think they'll be fun to play?

Lombra
2017-06-19, 03:36 AM
I hate clerics with low charisma*, but it looks like an effective character.

*how are you gonna spread the words of your god if nobody is intreasted in what you are saying?

Theodoxus
2017-06-19, 06:36 AM

*how are you gonna spread the words of your god if nobody is interested in what you are saying?

By nuking them with lightning if they disagree with your stance, obviously. I never thought of Tempest and War clerics as the proselytizing type... they're the militant arm of the Church Politic. Not sure how that jives with the background traits specifically... but 'voice of reason' speaks more of wisdom than charisma when dealing with people... at least to me.

ETA: @OP, the character is fine and the spells are appropriate - though you might want to consider dropping Cure Wounds for Shield of Faith, Sanctuary or Prot Evil. Cure Wounds will tempt you to use it, and it's bad if you're not a Life Cleric. Use Healing Word to scrape up fallen comrades at range. But any of these defensive spells I mention will help your party prevent damage, rather than trying to restore it. Just something to consider...

mgshamster
2017-06-19, 06:39 AM

*how are you gonna spread the words of your god if nobody is intreasted in what you are saying?

Spreading the word is the job of a priest. Clerics just battle for their God (whether they want to or not).

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-06-19, 08:01 AM
I really like having Detect Magic prepared on a cleric since it can give you some really helpful information in a lot of different situations and it's a ritual (and thus won't use up your spell slots if you have some time to cast it) but since clerics can re-pick their spells every day it's not a big deal if you have it ready on your character sheet or not.

CrackedChair
2017-06-19, 11:52 AM
Do you like this character? Do you think they'll be fun to play?

It sounds fun, really!

By nuking them with lightning if they disagree with your stance, obviously. I never thought of Tempest and War clerics as the proselytizing type... they're the militant arm of the Church Politic. Not sure how that jives with the background traits specifically... but 'voice of reason' speaks more of wisdom than charisma when dealing with people... at least to me.

ETA: @OP, the character is fine and the spells are appropriate - though you might want to consider dropping Cure Wounds for Shield of Faith, Sanctuary or Prot Evil. Cure Wounds will tempt you to use it, and it's bad if you're not a Life Cleric. Use Healing Word to scrape up fallen comrades at range. But any of these defensive spells I mention will help your party prevent damage, rather than trying to restore it. Just something to consider...

Alright, I'll replace Cure Wounds with that Shield of Faith...

Well, the one thing that had me on this for awhile is the Firbolg's mess of traits it has, and I am not sure if I am even going to utilize them all. I mean, if I can't hear what a plant has to say, what's the point of speaking to them?

GlenSmash!
2017-06-19, 05:57 PM

Clerics are not required to proselytize.

Lombra
2017-06-20, 06:37 AM
Clerics are not required to proselytize.

Well I'm saying that I like the proselytizing clerics, no pressure, no problem, just personal taste.

KorvinStarmast
2017-06-20, 09:18 AM
By nuking them with lightning if they disagree with your stance, obviously. I never thought of Tempest and War clerics as the proselytizing type... they're the militant arm of the Church Politic. Sez you. :smallcool: My Tempest Cleric spread the word and made friends wherever he could. (Mind you, the occasional bolts of righteous wrath were flung)
Spreading the word is the job of a priest. Clerics just battle for their God (whether they want to or not). When one is the servant of a god, one spreads the word when the god so commands.
Clerics are not required to proselytize. But good ones do it. There is more to serving one's deity than smiting the unrighteous (no matter how satisfying the latter is, or how challenging the former ...)

Findulidas
2017-06-20, 09:25 AM
Sez you. :smallcool: My Tempest Cleric spread the word and made friends wherever he could. (Mind you, the occasional bolts of righteous wrath were flung)

Yeah right, I know you tempest clerics.

I prefer knowledge clerics who just mindcontrol people into taking a trip to the church/giving something to the church for charity etc.

Theodoxus
2017-06-20, 09:29 AM
Heh, I prefer Life Clerics of Bane, Cyric or Jergal... nothing says "hey, wait, y'all not ALL evil?" like curing diseases, wounds and resurrecting the dead... back to life, not to undeath :smallwink:

Unoriginal
2017-06-20, 09:31 AM
Heh, I prefer Life Clerics of Bane, Cyric or Jergal... nothing says "hey, wait, y'all not ALL evil?" like curing diseases, wounds and resurrecting the dead... back to life, not to undeath :smallwink:

I'm pretty sure those gods would object to a good person serving them. Quite violently.

Their creeds, philosophies and rules kind of require you to do evil, or at least non-good actions.

Biggstick
2017-06-20, 09:49 AM
I'm pretty sure those gods would object to a good person serving them. Quite violently.

Their creeds, philosophies and rules kind of require you to do evil, or at least non-good actions.

Jergal has softened over the years, especially with him now serving Kelemvor. He's now firmly in the LN spectrum, and doesn't require his Clerics (few though they are) to perform evil actions.

Theodoxus
2017-06-20, 10:00 AM
You can run it however you like - but by the book, any and every god can have Life clerics, despite whatever domains they provide...