PDA

View Full Version : Taking down an Abomination from Epic Level Handbook at level 15

Zephonim
2017-06-18, 11:38 PM
So the party is eventually going to fight an Abomination. It's the "God" of Aboleths. It was mortally wounded like a decade before gamewise and is weakened gm said he's straight running an abomination from elh for it. It's a colossal aboleth with tons of tentacles living in a ocean underwater cavern system.

I'm really just looking for suggestions on how we should tackle this all the info you might need provided below.

We will be able to get divine intervention from possibly two gods to help but they aren't going to fully commit and fight the ****ing thing. The last time they went in a full on fight one of the god's died and they are worried to lose others because they can't exactly make new gods of light. One is the Head god of the pantheon who is pretty much pelor. The other is a God of Protection who we are rebuilding after he got destroyed. At best they can provide us some magical buffs which will probably be an ac boost and turning the water into holy water.

The party when we are facing this thing will likely be level 15.

I am an Artificer. I have a crafter booster that allows me to craft as if i am cl 20.

The other party member is a War Hulk/Hulking Hurler.

I have a Cleric Cohort who's a ruby knight vindicator.

I can persist buffs and we have oodles of gold because my gm's setting is insane. I can pretty much craft any item because i have over 110 million gold.

Our plan as of right now is to create a harpoon with an adamantine chain enchanted and hardened tipped with a positive mana crystal(Extremely extremely rare item). It will cause the spear to grow around the Aboleth and ensare it where the War Hulk is going to begin the greatest game of Tug of war ever. but the thing is extremely strong and can lock itself into the caverns with it's tentacles. To deal with it's spawn we're going to seal off the ocean from the Oceanic Trench it's in by freezing the ocean around it and i'm going to open a gate to the elemental plane of fire near the bottom of the trench. The monstrosity will be deeper within but we're trying to steam and sautee it's little spawn.

Oh right and we're freezing the ocean around the trench by using a mana cannon powered by various mana crystals that embody positive, negative, fire earth air water.

Looking at it abominations lack immunity to stun, and dazing. So i'm thinking that's my best shot at mitigating any disaster here? I can't attack it's stats generally but he did say that our positive mana spear will be doing int, con, and wis damage as it's one of the few weaknesses the dark gods have. My other part of the plan was possibly using etherealness so we can go around and sunder the aboleth's tentacles so it loses it's grip in the tug of war but is there a way to see through stone or travel through it?

Sadly as for damage spells I cannot use maw of chaos because all the dark creatures/aberrations have the chaotic subtype. But these are gods of darkness and are weak to light so I was thinking i'll probably just be using sunburst on the thing.

Schattenbach
2017-06-19, 03:00 AM
If its Colossal, it might potentially have 70HD or more ... and SLAs with Caster level somewhere between 20 and 40. As its chaotic(?) and evil(?), it likely has Word of Chaos and such at unmanageable CLs, too, so getting immunities to that (and other nasty SLAs) through Greater Spell Immunity or some actual Divine Protection might be worthwhile as it ends up being quite troublesome otherwise. If it has tons of Tentacles and isn't something created from scratch but through guidelines and templates, one might suspect that it is a Pseudonatural Creature, too, so it could've have up to HDx5 Spell Resistance, so magic that allows SR might end up being useless.

Zephonim
2017-06-19, 07:00 AM
If its Colossal, it might potentially have 70HD or more ... and SLAs with Caster level somewhere between 20 and 40. As its chaotic(?) and evil(?), it likely has Word of Chaos and such at unmanageable CLs, too, so getting immunities to that (and other nasty SLAs) through Greater Spell Immunity or some actual Divine Protection might be worthwhile as it ends up being quite troublesome otherwise. If it has tons of Tentacles and isn't something created from scratch but through guidelines and templates, one might suspect that it is a Pseudonatural Creature, too, so it could've have up to HDx5 Spell Resistance, so magic that allows SR might end up being useless.

Well it was mortally wounded by a player character who ascended to godhood so im assuming its not going to be utterly invincible. Its been in hiding ever since. He did have help from essentially the vecna of the setting but apparently the thing lost a fair bit of power it used to control the entirety of the ocean but is now just in hiding in a trench. As i said we are rebuilding the god of protection so yeah we will definitely have some defense magic protection.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-06-19, 07:09 AM
There are so many homebrew abilities in play here, it's hard to tell what will work and what won't. In general, try to leverage your action advantage by using one person to lock the abomination down, and the rest to kill/incapacitate it. Additional actions from celerity (don't forget your favour of the martyr) and time stop would be quite welcome.

weckar
2017-06-19, 07:22 AM
As Always with creatures like this; aim for doing ability damage over anything else. Get a Marshal to help penetrate SR if at all possible.

Eldariel
2017-06-19, 07:40 AM
Obviously you'll want Mind Blank, Sheltered Vitality, Death Ward and Freedom of Movement, plus preferably Favor of the Martyr and Delay Death active on the whole party. Then yeah, WoC/Blasphemy are potent dangers, as is AMF/similar auras. Gauge its abilities, engage as possible and hit it hard.

As Always with creatures like this; aim for doing ability damage over anything else. Get a Marshal to help penetrate SR if at all possible.

Sadly Abombs are immune to almost all nondamage vectors of attack.

Zephonim
2017-06-19, 07:53 AM
There are so many homebrew abilities in play here, it's hard to tell what will work and what won't. In general, try to leverage your action advantage by using one person to lock the abomination down, and the rest to kill/incapacitate it. Additional actions from celerity (don't forget your favour of the martyr) and time stop would be quite welcome.

Well the war hulk's going to have it use up most of it's tentacles trying to prevent itself from being ripped through a gate and into the open air. We also have an army of giants including sea giants with megalodon pulled chariots. We pretty much have a bit of every srd giant species on the airship save fire and hill.

Zephonim
2017-06-19, 07:54 AM

It's immune to ability damage save for our positive mana crystal doing str con and int damage. Of which we only have one. Abominations are immune to petrification, ability damage, and drain.

weckar
2017-06-19, 08:03 AM
Ah, okay. Was not aware they had such immunities. Drat.

Hackulator
2017-06-19, 09:09 AM
Honestly if you have an artificer with infinite gold, all encounters should be trivial. Stack persistent <every ****ing buff in the game> and go to town. Have counterspells ready for dispel magic/disjunction just in case.

Schattenbach
2017-06-19, 09:19 AM
You could try to get access to Metafaculty to get some more information about what you're facing. Do you have any information about what kind of DR (and elemental immunities and such) and Regeneration it might have as well as if it has insane fast healing or not?

noob
2017-06-19, 09:21 AM
step 1: build 100000 tons of mundane explosives.
step 2: laugh maniacally.
step 3: blow up everything?

Schattenbach
2017-06-19, 09:28 AM
step 1: build 100000 tons of mundane explosives.
step 2: laugh maniacally.
step 3: blow up everything?

1 megaton nukes (usually) only deal 16d8 or so untyped energy damage, though (even if some explosives from D20 modern disagree with that). And unless those explosives manage to bypass its regeneration, they won't do much, anyway.

noob
2017-06-19, 09:30 AM
So use falling damage from the barrels of explosives instead?
I mean make them fall from 1 kilometre and even 500 gram stuff deals 20d6 piece.(that is still silly that nuclear bombs hurt less than a 500 gram parachute falling on you from one kilometre high but that is the rules)

Zephonim
2017-06-19, 09:38 AM
You could try to get access to Metafaculty to get some more information about what you're facing. Do you have any information about what kind of DR (and elemental immunities and such) and Regeneration it might have as well as if it has insane fast healing or not?

Finding a seer would be really difficult... most psions are in hiding because aberrations love eating them. I... might be able to craft psionic items with my cohort taking chameleon crafting.

Its immune to electricity and negative energy it has weaknesses that shift apparently based off the energy it emanates which shifts. So if it emanates boiling water id assume its vulnerable to cold.

Its also weak to light energy so i was thinking of using sunburst on it for 20d6 damage.

Zephonim
2017-06-19, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the bomb suggestion guys. I talked with my gm and I can make some really big bombs with red mana crystals. So now my plan is to make some bombs buff them with superior invis and earth glide placing bombs around the tunnels. Once we detonate the bombs then we will begin our epic game of tug o war much easier now that it cant latch its tentacles into its caves. Not to mention the damage done to it.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.