PDA

View Full Version : JMAP94- 3 weapon ideas for my campaign

JMAP94
2017-06-18, 11:40 PM
So, here are three pieces of equipment that I'm thinking about for my campaign. I am a new DM, so I'm trying to learn about item balance. I would like to know your opinions about relative power level, what rarity you would assign to each, and general opinions on each. I don't think all the items are balanced with one another, and Im intending to award them at different levels, but I want to hear y'alls opinions.

1) Twin Roses-
Physical Description- Light gauntlets forged from a strange red metal. Each gauntlet bares a single, large motif of a rose. It is believed that this metal originiated in the fey wilds. During the day, they glow a bright red-orange with the heat of the sun. During the night, they radiate with the silvery pale light of the moon.

Characteristics: This counts as both a martial weapon and a monk weapon. The user deals the next highest damage die for all unarmed strikes (1d4 becomes 1d6, 1d6 becomes 1d8, 1d12 max). Because In addition, when the weapon receives sunlight or moonlight (or both), it gains an additional magical effect.

Daylgiht- If sunlight is present, this weapon deals an additional 1d4 fire damage. In addition, if an undead or ooze is hit by this weapon, it is
set aflame and takes 1 damage at the start of its turns until the fire is put out.

Moonlight- If moonlight is present, this weapon deals 1d4 radiant damage. In addition, if a shapechanger is hit by this weapon, it
must make a Constitution save against 10+ the user's Wisdom modifier. On a failed save, the shapechanger reverts back to its true form.

2) Warden's Eye

Physical Description- A shield depicting a giant purple eye in its center. The shield contains ancient magic, that baffles even the most well read of wizards. It is believed to be a shield of the Wardens. Long ago, these powerful dragonborn paladins acted as the guards of the Bloodgate Prison, which housed the greatest enemies of the Ivory Dragon Emperor . After the empire fell, and the prisoners released in a massive riot, many of the still living Wardens took to wandering the world, seeking meaning in a world in which their emperor, homeland, and gods were dead.

Characteristics: This acts as just a +1 shield until a character becomes attuned to it, after which it grants additional benefits. A character that performs a heroic deed (in line with lawful good morality) while using this shield becomes attuned to it. Immediately, the character feels a massive pain in his forehead as a purple eye appears in the center of his forehead (a mini version of the one on the shield). in this third eye, the character can see through the eye on the shield (as if casting the arcane eye spell). In addition, the character can cast spells through the eye as if it was the point of origin.

3) Wraps of Swift Spellweaving
Physical Description- Handwraps that appear normal to the normal eye, but, sewn in enchanted fabric, are the words of power for all the cantrips known to the world. As a user performs the verbal, somatic, and material components needed for a cantrip, the handwraps help guide the user's motions, words, and actions to quicken the spell.

Characteristics: Once per turn, as a bonus action, a character wearing this can cast a cantrip they know.

Foxhound438
2017-06-19, 12:13 AM
1) I like the concept. It's more or less a side grade to having a +1 weapon (averages one damage better, no acc boost, but conditional further damage boost), so rarity wise I'd put it at uncommon. I like the flavor of having something that cares about environment as well. I personally don't know about metal from the fey wild, I thought in most settings fey things hate metal and so on... But otherwise really cool.

2) again, cool, but this time I have some minor issues with it mechanically. In order to really get use of the better properties of it, you have to be separated from it. I guess you could peek around corners, but for the most part you have to have to part with it. Balance wise, probably rare, give or take. The point of origin effect is only slightly better than find familiar (a L1 spell, while uncommon items can have up to L3 spells), and arcane eye is good utility but won't break any encounters, so it shouldn't be super high in rarity

3) If you're paying attention to the finer details of 5e, you can't cast another spell of 1st level or higher as your action if you cast any spell with your bonus action. So at first thought, it would just be an extra cantrip per turn, which shouldn't be an issue, and it isn't in most cases. What makes this a thing I would never include in a game is Eldritch Blast. Basically, that cantrip is designed to be the warlock's "extra attack" by the way it scales, and by letting them cast it twice this item is broken. Sorlock is already a thing which most people consider overpowered in 5e, and they can only cast EB as a bonus action a limited number of times a day... giving that to anyone who takes 2 levels of warlock for free forever would make a campaign unplayable for everyone else at the table, as the guy who picked it up starts doing twice or more the damage of even the most dedicated, all in damage builds would be doing, at no cost. Finding a way to boost cantrips is nice, but this is not the solution you're looking for.