PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Cyanimal (Template for animals and magical beasts)

gooddragon1
2017-06-19, 05:20 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

rferries
2017-06-19, 01:11 PM
I like the flavour and it's generally balanced but the immediate-action at-will invisibility is a bit much, it's effectively permanent greater invisibility. The CR could be bumped up or the invisibility could be reset to a standard spell-like ability.

gooddragon1
2017-06-19, 01:56 PM
I like the flavour and it's generally balanced but the immediate-action at-will invisibility is a bit much, it's effectively permanent greater invisibility. The CR could be bumped up or the invisibility could be reset to a standard spell-like ability.

I want it to be seen, but only in brief moments. How much of a bump?

Morphic tide
2017-06-19, 04:19 PM
I want it to be seen, but only in brief moments. How much of a bump?

Swift Action use. They don't gain any abilities that use Swift Actions and most Animals don't have Swift Action abilities, so they become visible until their next turn.

gooddragon1
2017-06-20, 12:54 AM
Swift Action use. They don't gain any abilities that use Swift Actions and most Animals don't have Swift Action abilities, so they become visible until their next turn.

I liked the thought of a party coming across one and it disappears just as they get a glimpse of it. Swift actions are an option, but I'd rather just bump the CR up.

rferries
2017-06-20, 10:42 AM
What about Improved Initiative +/- Quicken Spell-like Ability (invisibility) as bonus feats? Gives the party a chance to surprise the creature, but there's still a good chance it'll see them coming and vanish first. I understand if this doesn't quite fit your flavour though.

Will you do other colour templates for other combinations of energy types? I really do like this one.

Nifft
2017-06-20, 11:48 AM
You could also do something like...

Skyfade (Su): Cyanimals can become invisible by walking in a small circle uninterrupted for one minute. Against creatures that can see invisibility, the cyanimal is still partially concealed. Taking an action that would end the invisibility spell also ends the skyfade effect.

Swift Fade (Su): 3/day a cyanimal can use its skyfade ability as a Swift action. Some advanced cyanimals have been reported to be able to use swift fade more frequently.

rferries
2017-06-20, 01:57 PM
Compare also Invisible Stalkers, Pixies, and Will-O'-Wisps for invisible monsters.

gooddragon1
2017-06-21, 01:35 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

rferries
2017-06-21, 01:40 AM
"Mauvermin" haha that's brilliant :D