PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Incantations, Reality Marbles, and Noble Phantasms?

INoKnowNames
2017-06-19, 07:05 AM
I just came across Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) again. I somewhat disregarded them at first, seeing them pretty much as just slightly nerfed lower level more specific Epic-Spells.

But now that I look at them, I think they're kinda interesting. I'd like to see about trying to create one. I know it would be up to DM Fiat to get one in universe, and be basically as up to them to perform and use one, but I'd like to take a hand at creating one. Specifically, I'd like to imitate one of the coolest effects in anime and drum up an incantation that recalls Unlimited Blade Works.

To be more specific for anyone not in the know, I'd like to be able to forcibly teleport an enemy fought within the area of the Incantation and my player character (potentially alongside any nearby allies or enemies) to a (possibly fictional) location to which my character would be at an advantage in terms of combat due to the nature of that world. In my character's case, it would be because the location would be host to Dragons, hopefully allied to that of the user.

Anyone have any skill at Incantations before? I know likely not, because it's a house-rule subsystem homebrew thing, but there's no point in not asking, just in case. At the very least, I'd need to see if anything other than random whim would let me make it 7 skill-checks specifically, and whether or not the casting time and duration could both be shrunken a bit; it's meant to be used in battle, interruptions permitting...

As a bonus aside, I wonder what an Incantation emulating Excalibur, treating the actual holy sword as a focus, could look like...

khadgar567
2017-06-19, 07:52 AM
I just came across Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) again. I somewhat disregarded them at first, seeing them pretty much as just slightly nerfed lower level more specific Epic-Spells.

But now that I look at them, I think they're kinda interesting. I'd like to see about trying to create one. I know it would be up to DM Fiat to get one in universe, and be basically as up to them to perform and use one, but I'd like to take a hand at creating one. Specifically, I'd like to imitate one of the coolest effects in anime and drum up an incantation that recalls Unlimited Blade Works.

To be more specific for anyone not in the know, I'd like to be able to forcibly teleport an enemy fought within the area of the Incantation and my player character (potentially alongside any nearby allies or enemies) to a (possibly fictional) location to which my character would be at an advantage in terms of combat due to the nature of that world. In my character's case, it would be because the location would be host to Dragons, hopefully allied to that of the user.

Anyone have any skill at Incantations before? I know likely not, because it's a house-rule subsystem homebrew thing, but there's no point in not asking, just in case. At the very least, I'd need to see if anything other than random whim would let me make it 7 skill-checks specifically, and whether or not the casting time and duration could both be shrunken a bit; it's meant to be used in battle, interruptions permitting...

As a bonus aside, I wonder what an Incantation emulating Excalibur, treating the actual holy sword as a focus, could look like...
care to wait for spheres of power warp hand book mate cuz i bet my ea that there is gonna be a talent for it.

Starbuck_II
2017-06-19, 08:00 AM
Here are previous posted ones:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?318160-3-5-Anyone-Made-Incantations

thorr-kan
2017-06-19, 12:26 PM
Funny; this just came up in another thread.

There are the two SRD sources: 3.5ED Unearthed Arcana and d20 Modern Urban Arcana. The Game Mechanics provided some d20 Modern support in Modern Magic Vol. 1 & 2.

Zombie Sky Press provides some PF support with Incantations from the Other Side and Incantations in Theory and Practice.

Paizo has something similar in Occult Adventures (I think that's the name). Necromancers of the Northwest has some support for that in the Weekly Rituals series.

Fizban
2017-06-20, 02:01 AM
Incantations are too slow to use in combat. Even full-round casting times (like Summon Monster) which don't activate until the start of your next turn are generally considered too slow, and are essentially useless in a duel.

Forced plane-shift isn't that hard to do, since the basic 5th level Plane Shift spell can already be used on a single unwilling target (Will negates). Having a custom demiplane is a simple 9th level spell or power in multiple books. Stocking your demiplane with allies, traps, or otherwise altering the terrain depends somewhat on which spell/power you used to create it, but in general it's just a location that you can mess with in the same way you'd mess with any other location.

So all you really need is an AoE forced Plane Shift/Greater Plane Shift (to set people where you want them instead of randomly), which you use to move everyone to a demiplane you've already prepared. Most likely a 9th level spell, but a spell with a casting time usable in combat. You can rename Forced AoE Greater Plane Shift to "Access Reality Marble" and Genesis to "Create Reality Marble" if you must.

rel
2017-06-20, 02:30 AM
From what I've seen incantations are hours long rituals not fire and forget D&D magic. I feel like a custom spell is more appropriate for what you want to do.