PDA

View Full Version : Polymorphing with (ex) abilities?

weckar
2017-06-19, 07:13 AM
Thus far, any and every source of shapeshifting I've found does not grant use of (ex) abilities. Do any at all exist? Or are there feats/PrCs/Items that allow it?

I just figured there were some neat things one could do with that :smalltongue:

Necroticplague
2017-06-19, 07:56 AM
Thus far, any and every source of shapeshifting I've found does not grant use of (ex) abilities. Do any at all exist? Or are there feats/PrCs/Items that allow it?

I just figured there were some neat things one could do with that :smalltongue:

???

At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.....

At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a Small, Medium, or Large elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per day. These elemental forms are in addition to her normal wild shape usage. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains all the elemental’s extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. She also gains the elemental’s feats for as long as she maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type.

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template. Assuming an alternate form results in the following changes to the creature:

The creature retains the type and subtype of its original form. It gains the size of its new form. If the new form has the aquatic subtype, the creature gains that subtype as well.
The creature loses the natural weapons, natural armor, and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
Druids get EX attacks by default, and can use either a spell (Enhanced Wild Shape), or a class (Master of Many Forms) to aslo get EX special qualities.

The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.
Polymorph similarly gives EX special attacks.

This spell functions like polymorph, except that it enables you to assume the form of any single nonunique creature (of any type) from Fine to Colossal size. The assumed form cannot have more than your caster level in Hit Dice (to a maximum of 25 HD). Unlike polymorph, this spell allows incorporeal or gaseous forms to be assumed.
You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form...
And Shapechange upgrades it to all EX abilities.

You either overlooked a lot of stuff very easily, or you didn't look very far. Especially given how the very spell you mention in the title gives you some EX abilities.

weckar
2017-06-19, 07:59 AM
I did not look at druid's Wild Shape, granted (mostly because I always forget they have it, druids aren't allowed at our table).

I misread the spell, although I am specifically looking for qualities rather than attacks.

Otherwise I have no excuses.
Please be gentle with my punishment.

eggynack
2017-06-19, 09:25 AM
Also dragon wild shape, exalted wild shape, and planar shepherd (when used for elemental and outsider forms), for special qualities. Might well be others. All three of those give Su as well, actually, which is a step above Ex special qualities in a sense. Oh, actually, baleful polymorph too, for whatever that's worth. You get all the special abilities of the new up to one HD animal form. Wonder if there's any utility to that. Might check.

Edit: Bat for blindsense is all I got on an initial check. Interesting utility, but not super useful given the insane costs. I guess that said form is also pretty stealthy, and the permanent duration means there's no direct slot cost, but you're down a party member until you dispel it or whatever. Maybe getting some commoner hireling and turning them into a diminutive stealth bat is the way. That almost sounds like a real thing. Make it a changeling commoner or something for the shapechanger subtype and the target isn't even facing meaningful intelligence loss risk from not getting to you in time.