PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Psionic Incantatrix

xkroku
2017-06-19, 07:27 AM
Hello

I'm DMing a game, one of my players (sort of a beginner, not really into min/maxing) plays a psion, he's level 10 now, and he asked me if he could take levels of Incantatrix class.

It's sort of a huge deal, and I don't know what to tell him. :smallfrown:

Would it be very overpovered (since Inca is overpowered on it's own...) to let him play a psionic version if Incantatrix?

We're playing with complete magic/psionic transparency

weckar
2017-06-19, 07:46 AM
How do metamagicks interact with psionics in your game? At all?

Kaleph
2017-06-19, 09:55 AM
If, and I mean IF, you're going to allow it, you should consider the following factors:

You should decide what is the equivalent of "Focused study" - maybe a limit to powers known?
As pointed out by weckar, you have to decide if "Cooperative metamagic" becomes "Cooperative metapsi", and accordingly works only with other psionic characters (which could mean that it gives no benefit at all if there's no fellow psion). This rule would be based on the fact that, even given the psion/magic transparency, psicraft and spellcraft are still two separate things. I mention "Cooperative metamagic" only, but of course the topic extends also to other features, such as "Snatch spells".
You should definitely rule that "Metamagic effect" acts only on powers/spells that affect an area, not those which affect creatures. This prevents the easiest forms of abuse, regardless of the fact that you may decide that the feature works only on powers, and not on spells.
You should not forget that "Instant metamagic" has been errata'ed and doesn't work if the metamagicked spell (=metapsi'ed power) would normally use a spell slot of a higher level than she can cast (=require a higher ML).

Based on the way you convert the incantatrix, it may stay overpowered or even become (almost) useless.

xkroku
2017-06-19, 10:28 AM
In my game psionics are just another type of magic, like arcane and divine.

I may be wrong, but I think that you make the cheks for both type of spells with Spellcraft and Knowledge (arcana) (not sure about the Knowledge though)

With Focused Study he will just give up a discipline, I think it's not that bad of a solution

As for metamagics with psionics: if there is a metamagic feat that isn't written as a metapsi, you can use it with powers for cost equal to [adjustment]×2-1. So Persist would be +11 points. I left the rest as it is (for example Extend is +0 rather than +1).

Gildedragon
2017-06-19, 10:32 AM
I'd say: let them. But make joining he incantators bit of an affiliation side quest.
Make the gaining the PRC be a way to get plot hooks into the character