PDA

View Full Version : Good extra arcane spells

khaldorgas
2017-06-19, 10:36 AM
Hello!
i`m playing as beguiller (3.5) gestalt magician (PF bard archetype).
Both classes give extra arcana spells, and i have 5 spells to choose,
2 of level 1
3 of level 2

Do u recommend some specific spells? My spell list actualy is utility//face party//illusion-distraction focused (both spell list give me this)

Or maybe a handbook with all arcana spells.

Thank you!!

Psyren
2017-06-19, 10:46 AM
Or maybe a handbook with all arcana spells.

That's a hell of an ask :smalltongue:

Usually Beguilers go for the Shadow spells since they are illusions but can be used to duplicate more useful effects in a pinch. You could also check out any number of wizard and sorcerer handbooks.

Snowbluff
2017-06-19, 09:18 PM
Pathfinder?

1st level for bard should pick up Snowball. Duh.

Here is a handbook. (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:e0CeqmExgvAJ:www.minmaxboards.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D363.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

I like Distract Assailant for the swift action casting time. Shock and Awe is very good.

For level 2, Ray of Stupidity, which has no save, for Beguiler.

Darrin
2017-06-20, 07:48 AM
Hello!
i`m playing as beguiller (3.5) gestalt magician (PF bard archetype).
Both classes give extra arcana spells, and i have 5 spells to choose,
2 of level 1
3 of level 2

I'm not all that familiar with the PF side of things, but if you're looking for illusion/enchantment spells for the Beguiler's Advanced Learning:

1st:

Fengut (Far Corners of the World: Spells of the Wetland (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a)). Save-or-Lose spell that causes nausea, but unlike most illusion spells it calls for a Fort save rather than Will.

Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon). Similar to mirror image, but a level earlier and only a swift action to cast.

Power Word: Pain (Races of the Dragon). Very powerful spell for first level, so much so that many DMs ban it outright.

2nd:

Claws of Darkness (Spell Compendium). Kind of an oddball spell, deals 1d8 cold damage as a touch attack with a 10' reach, but restricts what you can do with your hands. There's a partial Fort save against a slow effect, but only if you use them to grapple.

Power Word: Sicken (Races of the Dragon). No-save sicken condition.

Ray of Stupidity (Spell Compendium). 1d4+1 Int damage, no save. Takes out any animal/vermin from the fight with a touch attack.

khaldorgas
2017-10-05, 10:49 AM
Pathfinder?

1st level for bard should pick up Snowball. Duh.

Here is a handbook. (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:e0CeqmExgvAJ:www.minmaxboards.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D363.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

I like Distract Assailant for the swift action casting time. Shock and Awe is very good.

For level 2, Ray of Stupidity, which has no save, for Beguiler.

I'm not all that familiar with the PF side of things, but if you're looking for illusion/enchantment spells for the Beguiler's Advanced Learning:

1st:

Fengut (Far Corners of the World: Spells of the Wetland (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030706a)). Save-or-Lose spell that causes nausea, but unlike most illusion spells it calls for a Fort save rather than Will.

Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon). Similar to mirror image, but a level earlier and only a swift action to cast.

Power Word: Pain (Races of the Dragon). Very powerful spell for first level, so much so that many DMs ban it outright.

2nd:

Claws of Darkness (Spell Compendium). Kind of an oddball spell, deals 1d8 cold damage as a touch attack with a 10' reach, but restricts what you can do with your hands. There's a partial Fort save against a slow effect, but only if you use them to grapple.

Power Word: Sicken (Races of the Dragon). No-save sicken condition.

Ray of Stupidity (Spell Compendium). 1d4+1 Int damage, no save. Takes out any animal/vermin from the fight with a touch attack.

Thank you all, Ray of Stupidity is amazing!!!

Thurbane
2017-10-10, 04:35 PM
Here's some extra spells I would recommend for a Beguiler (assuming it's restricted to Enchantment or Illusion):

1: Distract, Distract Assailant, Fengut, Fiendly Face (good for diplomancy), Incite, Inhibit, Net of Shadows, Power Word Pain, Shock and Awe, Stupor

2: Claws of Darkness (if you ever have to melee), Dark Way (temporary bridge, fairly situational), Hideous Laughter (although probably better as a Bard 1 spell in your case), Masochism (if you expect to take damage), Mindless Rage (if you want to tank), Price of Loyalty, Proud Arrogance (decent defensive buff), Ray of Dizziness, Ray of Stupidity. Rebuke