PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Does Pierce Magical Protection work all the time?

ChaosSpiral
2017-06-19, 12:24 PM
So I have been playing DnD for a few years now. Lately in our last campaign, I had taken the feat "Pierce Magical Protection" from Complete Arcane. Here is the feat in its entirety

Your contempt for magic is so fierce that as a standard action you can make a melee attack that ignores any bonuses to Armor Class granted by spells (including spell trigger or spell completion effects created by magic items such as wands or potions). If you deal damage to your opponent, you also instantly and automatically dispel all that opponent's spells and spell effects that grant a bonus to Armor Class.

My Question is Does that "If you deal damage to your opponent" clause of the feat turn off? I get that the ignoring bonuses and such is a standard action and they are supposed to go hand in hand but if you have a High enough BAB to get over their bonuses from a full BAB character, can you get rid of their bonuses for your team (or next hits) and continue with the full attack?

Inevitability
2017-06-19, 12:47 PM
You can't use standard action abilities as part of a full action, if that's what you're asking. Either you use your standard action to make a single attack that gets the effects of the feat, or you use your full-round action to make several attacks that don't benefit from the feat.

ChaosSpiral
2017-06-19, 01:16 PM
Sorry I might not have been specific with my question... I was asking if the second part of the feat worked every time you hit. The way I read the feat was.

1. As a standard action you can make a melee attack that ignores any bonuses to Armor Class granted by spells (including spell trigger or spell completion effects created by magic items such as wands or potions).

2. If you deal damage to your opponent, you also instantly and automatically dispel all that opponent's spells and spell effects that grant a bonus to Armor Class.

Am I interpreting the feat wrong? The fact that the feat is two complete sentences and the second sentence does not specifically reference the first one makes me think that you don't have to have one for two to work.

heavyfuel
2017-06-19, 01:19 PM
It's pretty clearly a complement to the first sentence. You only dispel the effects if you use your standard action

ngilop
2017-06-19, 03:08 PM
Heavyfuel has the gist of it.

the feat very clearly states do X and if X succeeds then Y happens.

X being standard action attack and Y being the dispelling of AC granting magic stuffs

Zanos
2017-06-19, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it seems like if you hit with your standard action attack that ignores the AC bonuses, then you dispel them. Not any form of doing damage at all dispels.

So I agree with heavyfuel.