PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Designing A LEGENDARY magic item.

bigfishcaptain
2017-06-19, 01:43 PM
:smallsmile: So very simply I'm making a new character for an ongoing campaign after the death of my last character. The new character will start at level 7 point-buy built as a half-elf bard. Now here where it gets interesting. My DM has allowed me to start with a legendary magic item OF MY OWN DESIGN provided that it is "Jealous" meaning that it will not allow me to attune to any other item.

Now obviously I could try and get with something slimy or OP but I'm more interested in creating an interesting item that with compliment(or contrast) my character in some way. My thinking is that it should be an Item that may only be attuned to an heir of the old Elven King that is determined to see it wielder claim their birthright. Unfortunate for it because my character is a free spirit who could not be less interested in all that paper pushing non-sense.

So now we reach the heart of the problem and that is that have no idea what this item abilities should be. Should be based elven powers or a leadership/support theme? Should it be a cloak, a gem, a scepter, etc. I welcome any and all answers and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sorry for the Long Post

Morphic tide
2017-06-19, 06:22 PM
Well, your post is quite short, all things considered. Look at my posts for examples of long ones, they often get longer than the simple base class posts.

Personally, I'd have the item focus on leadership, in the sense of tactics and politics rather than the Bard's buffing. Try to have the item complement Bard abilities as much as you can, while also being clearly made for leading a nation. Large AoEs without target limits, diplomacy-related bonuses, possibly stuff for boosting Wizard or Sorcerer style magic use. Stuff that helps a Bard, but isn't optimal for them by many means.

Try to make the item's abilities tie into the style of rule the ancient king preferred. If they were a crazed tyrant, forced control that allows commanding large groups of weak creatures or small numbers of stronger creatures is an ability, like a HD, CR or XP-for-defeating capped Charm/Dominate Person, as an example. Stuff that has good character reasons for you not to make a habit of using or with limited use at the level you work with by being tailored to stomping large masses of low-level foes/being only useful with an outright army to back you up.

Vogie
2017-06-19, 11:19 PM
When I think of a jealous item, I think of the Cursed Ax of Tloques from THIS (https://geeklyinc.com/drunks-and-dragons-74-the-temple-of-ghostly-evil-part-3/) episode of Drunks and Dragons (at minute 44), where there's an Ax where whenever the player draws a weapon, any weapon, they end up drawing the cursed ax instead; if they throw away the ax, it teleports to the wielder's belt. I found the it was taken from a 2nd Edition quest, and also gave the effects of Burning Hands, Passwall, and Push.

Add that to an item that only can be wielded by the king, which sounds like an Excalibur knockoff.

Put those together, you get a neat item that means you're either royalty or destined to lead, and you can't get rid of it.

You could make it a scepter or rod, so it will consistently pop into your hands when you either don't want it or don't need it. If it's a decent weapon, that could be very handy, as you would never truly be disarmed.

As for the other effects, that's for your desire to decide - however, I like the idea that it gives things that would be useful to a ruler. Maybe At-will Sanctuary cast on yourself; maybe a once-daily Banishment of extraplanar creatures; a mass Charm Person; Geas, sending, Fear, heroism, Hero's feast... the sky's the limit.

One sort-of-related idea is that the legendary item functions similarly to a Rod of Security... but unlike a rod that takes you to a fairly random, generic demiplane attuned with the rod, this takes the wielder (and everyone else touching it, of course) to the plane that is filled with the kingdom your half-elf is supposed to be running. On one hand, it's a quick access to a large city, filled with servants that do your bidding, and is a fantastic escape tool. On the other hand, that escape will take them to the one place they really do not want to go.

Nifft
2017-06-20, 12:23 AM
You could go full Fflewddur Fflam and create a harp whose strings break every time you lie, but which gives you bonuses to musical effects.

Alternately: you're a 5e Bard, so you're a full caster.

Maybe you have a rod or weapon that allows you channel spell energy into some other effect.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-20, 12:53 AM
It'd be cool if the item would scale with your progress from here on in in some way. How about some sort of staff of summoning? There's a wolf shaped spirit in the staff with all of the the normal abilities of a wolf, plus the intelligence to be a wisecracking magic item and even have some mildly useful skills, like survival to help it track. The spirit can only interact with or talk to anything including you when summoned. The level of the creature scales with your level like some flavor of animal companion the summon duration and amount of summons per day scales with your magic abilities as a bard. Let's say level of the creature is yours -2, times per day is your current maximum spell level and duration per summoning is 5 minutes times your caster level. (For total future proofness: any caster class counts towards your caster level, but highest spell levels do not add up.) The spirit can't technically die, but it will be very pissed and refuse to be summoned until you make a grand enough gesture when you let it run out of XP. Between summons the creature heals as per a long rest.

Since the spirit can't actually keep an eye on you when not summoned you could use other magic items at that time. But if it senses any on you (it's a spirit with a connection to you, it can sense those things) or someone accidentally tells him he'll sure be pissed.

And one more thing: The thing can't actually be dismissed, it leaves out of its own free will, whenever it wants. But if you're nice to it that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

bigfishcaptain
2017-06-20, 05:19 PM
These were all really helpful. So firstly, I recognized the Excalibur similarity after-the-fact and honestly I'm okay with it. What I forgot to mention is that I wanted the item, no matter what, to have this sort-of lawful-good personality where maybe she doesn't "speak" but she can always make her desires clear to her wielder somehow and she is insistent that her wielder be everything a good leader should be. The idea was, I guess, that she was made to enhance the wielder ability to rule (maybe buff/debuff, charm, and/or scry/insight type abilities) as well as existing to help ensure that king always behaves or acts in his peoples best interest.

So with that said you guys had some great ideas. I hadn't really thought about who had made the item to be honest but I do like the idea of it being a rod I just can't seem to get rid of, like I might throw it over a cliff and take three steps into the woods all happy with a job well done when suddenly it fall from a tree and hits me in the head (smrk). Alternatively it could a bracelet or armlet that won't come off(The Mummy 2: The Scorpion King)

Also, the idea of it scaling to his level is great and I can't believe I hadn't thought of it when this was essentially supposed to be the only item he ever attunes to. I don't really like the idea of it summoning but maybe that's an idea to consider as I'm not really sure if the Elf king was supposed to have been a high elf, wood elf, or even a dark elf and a wood elf king may very well have a scepter or something that summon some sort-of animal spirit but I don't know. Maybe it could be all( or just wood/high elf) so that it was designed with both/all in mind for the one true king(or at least the one true king by his own claim) of all elves.

I was thinking of basing the item off the Staff of the Magi too some extent: namely it having some allotment of points to be spent toward spell or abilities that the item specifies.

So with that said, any additional thoughts or ideas?

Sincerely
Not Sorry for the Actually Not Very Long Post

P.S. The Black Cauldron reference...I just got it.

bigfishcaptain
2017-06-20, 05:29 PM
Oh, also the character I want to play only has a bow and that's more a tool than anything. He's the the classic smooth-talking Tom Sawyer type who would much rather raise his voice than his fists and can flatter, bluff, or coerce his way out of most situations. And the item I think is more like that girl who keeps getting upset at him for being immature and irresponsible but still holds out hope for him. (I can fix him. I just know I can!)

Sincerely
Very Not Sorry for the Very Short Post

Vogie
2017-06-20, 05:44 PM
Actually, having the staff or rod as an nonspeaking NPC could be kind of cool. Your DM could have it move around like the Excalibur from The Librarians, or the Cloak of Levitation from the MCU Doctor Strange if needed, or come flying back and plant itself in your way when you try to throw it off the proverbial (or literal) cliff. It can be used by the DM to move the plot along, or induce meaningful decisions.

Basically, have the rod/scepter/staff act as an extension of that kingdom in its own right.

Instead of treating it like a straight up Staff of the Magi, which is basically a small wizard inside a stick, I would rather suggest a small set of royalty-themed at-will utility abilities - then give the DM fiat for granting stronger abilities down the line in conjunction with you following the will of the kingdom.

bigfishcaptain
2017-06-20, 06:00 PM
Actually, having the staff or rod as an nonspeaking NPC could be kind of cool. Your DM could have it move around like the Excalibur from The Librarians, or the Cloak of Levitation from the MCU Doctor Strange if needed, or come flying back and plant itself in your way when you try to throw it off the proverbial (or literal) cliff. It can be used by the DM to move the plot along, or induce meaningful decisions.

Basically, have the rod/scepter/staff act as an extension of that kingdom in its own right.

Instead of treating it like a straight up Staff of the Magi, which is basically a small wizard inside a stick, I would rather suggest a small set of royalty-themed at-will utility abilities - then give the DM fiat for granting stronger abilities down the line in conjunction with you following the will of the kingdom.

At-will-royalty-themed-abilities like command/hold person or like zone of truth/tongues?

Vogie
2017-06-21, 08:36 AM
At-will-royalty-themed-abilities like command/hold person or like zone of truth/tongues?

Or charm person, or geas, or sending, or unseen Servant...

Actually, it's probably a better idea to figure out what the kingdom wants, how the kingdom rules, then channel that into what the staff does. It's supposed to be a tool of the ruler, so it would have abilities to help that person rule.

Is the kingdom aggressive and warlike? Maybe Phantom Steed or Fear
Is the Kingdom trade oriented? maybe Sending or fairness (http://archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Fairness)
Is the kingdom a peaceful refuge, diplomacy oriented? Maybe tongues or Sanctuary
Is the kingdom springing back from some disaster? Maybe Fabricate, stone shape, or wood shape

Obviously, some things like Prestidigitation and Unseen Servant are shoo-ins. Once you think of the goals of the kingdom, that'll point you to what abilities could be down the line.

bigfishcaptain
2017-06-21, 12:23 PM
Or charm person, or geas, or sending, or unseen Servant...

Actually, it's probably a better idea to figure out what the kingdom wants, how the kingdom rules, then channel that into what the staff does. It's supposed to be a tool of the ruler, so it would have abilities to help that person rule.

Is the kingdom aggressive and warlike? Maybe Phantom Steed or Fear
Is the Kingdom trade oriented? maybe Sending or
Is the kingdom a peaceful refuge, diplomacy oriented? Maybe tongues or Sanctuary
Is the kingdom springing back from some disaster? Maybe Fabricate, stone shape, or wood shape

Obviously, some things like Prestidigitation and Unseen Servant are shoo-ins. Once you think of the goals of the kingdom, that'll point you to what abilities could be down the line.

Of these the diplomatic are probably the closest but I imagined the item being designed more with it's desired wielder in mind rather than the state of the kingdom he was ruling. I think it should function to give powers that would be helpful to a king of elves while also existing to keep him in check. Sort-of a Crown and Chain type thing. Thoughts?

P.S. Sorry about deleting your link, the site wouldn't let me post this reply with the link still there.

Vogie
2017-06-22, 08:55 AM
Of these the diplomatic are probably the closest but I imagined the item being designed more with it's desired wielder in mind rather than the state of the kingdom he was ruling. I think it should function to give powers that would be helpful to a king of elves while also existing to keep him in check. Sort-of a Crown and Chain type thing. Thoughts?

That's exactly right - Not the State of the kingdom (failing/flourishing), but the attitude of the kingdom. So if said kingdom is similar to the Ancient Assyrians (http://www.ancient.eu/Assyrian_Warfare/), which ruled by fear, strict hierarchy and an iron rod ("I destroyed, devastated, and burned with fire"), then the item would have abilities that exaggerate and encourage that. If said kingdom was enjoying more of a Pax Romana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pax_Romana) type of feel, with more loose hierarchies, trade policy, and mutual (albeit begrudging, and militarily enforced) respect, the item's abilities would encourage and facilitate that.

If you want to have the item grow quickly with your character, but be a bit bland story-wise, have the kingdom have similar desires to your PC, so the only point of contention is that your character doesn't want to lead.

However, if you would rather have a more enticing story (DM fiat, of course), or more growth with your character, have the kingdom have opposite desires to your character, with opposite abilities of what the PC would want to use, so that nearly everything is a point of contention. If you've ever read the Dresden Files, it's similar to the arc where the titular chaotic good character has a shadow of a fallen angel in his head, tempting him with powers that he doesn't want to use, but could give into at any moment.

Liran Sterling
2017-06-23, 09:44 AM
Hey there, not sure if you're still looking for anything, but I have some suggestions. I almost always play a bard, and usually a half-elf for the skill proficiencies (though recently I've fallen in love with the Aasimar race from Volo's Guide to Monsters). I also have run a couple campaigns and love designing magic items, and have made a few for my bard characters.

The most recent one, and my favorite, is essentially and upgradable guitar whose body is the shape of a lyre (my Aasimar's father was Apollo, Greek god of music and the sun). Essentially, each string starts off mundane. The only ability the item had was being attuned to me, and only me and my descendants, as well as being used as a 1d8 psychic ranged weapon. It allowed me to ignore "weapons" and really focus on my bard's traits and abilities, which were all music based, as he wanted to be a great musician. Then I began upgrading the strings. The first glowed golden and gave me an extra use of Bardic Inspiration. Then the next added 1d4 thunder damage. The next allowed me to cast sleep once per long rest without using a spell slot. And that campaign is still in progress, so we shall see where it goes.

The most important thing for magic weapons is the story behind them. Yes the mechanics are neat and helpful, but what makes them special is the story. This elven king. Why would you be the best heir, if you're only a half-elf? You must be really special! Why would it choose you?

Here's how I would go about making the item:
1. What is your play style? Support? Leadership? Spellcaster? Social master?
2. Do you want a passive buff (like +1 Bardic Inspiration), or an ability (like being able to spend Bardic Inspiration dice to heal allies)?
3. Do you want a weapon you can use to attack, a bit of clothing or armor that will also increase your AC, or a bit of flair like a necklace, or a hat?
4. Story. Why you? Why this item? How this item?
5. How powerful can it be? You don't want the rest of your party to hate you for being OP?
6. How will it level with you? If this is the only item you can attune to, then as the rest of the party gets more and more items, you'll begin to fall behind in power. Unless you plan on getting rid of the item later, but since it'll have meaning and story, I doubt it. So you need to make sure it will scale in power with the rest of your party.
7. Flavor time! Draw it if you can, or just figure out some cool details about it. Does it glow faintly in complete darkness? Maybe it has writing in ancient elvish on it. My bard's guityre is tattooed on the back of my character's hand and he can summon it to him from a small storage dimension at will. Things like that. Give it some spices! You don't want bland chicken!
8. For the personality of the item, discuss it with your DM, as it will be your DM who is playing as the item, so it'll be largely up to the DM what the item "wants" and how it acts.

Sorry for the long post, I just love making magic weapons with stories and being a half-elven bard, so I had to say something.

P.S. here's a really lousy drawing of my guityre (I'm a writer not an artist) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByNhoOdww5fHVTIwRmFEejhjaFE